Dinghy ???

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Diverted Income
Moderate User

Dinghy ???

Post by Diverted Income »

Trying to decide what type of floor to get in a dinghy. Thinking either slat floor or air floor (probably not a high pressure floor) Do the slat floor dinghys tow bad? Thoughts?
1982 Trojan F-32 w/Merc 230's
1975 Baja V-1800J w/ 502 Ford
http://missriverrat.com
https://www.facebook.com/UMRMriverrat
K4282
Moderate User

Re: Dinghy ???

Post by K4282 »

why not a hard bottom? my 12ft Achillies tows great
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

IMHO, anything other than a hard bottom, tows like a turd. :|
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

We have a soft bottom dinghy with aluminum floor and it tows just fine....trick is the bridle and where you put the dink back there....back of the second stern wave is best, but let me add that I only tow at hull speed which is fine with us..you can see a pic of it in the updates thread.....Mike
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

I have a 10' Apex RIB with a 15 HP motor on the back of my tricab. With a flat deck and vee hull, it is practically a portable amusement ride. Mounted with a $eawi$e davit. Tender tows just fine, but since the davit is so easy to use, we hardly ever do that.

I got a RIB, because I didn't want the hassle of inflating/deflating whenever I wanted a dinghy. My motor stays attached to the RIB, so it takes about two minutes to depart from the mother ship. Which is why I bit the bullet and went the way that I did. Things that are easy to do get done more often, so we actually use the dink a lot. Why are you only asking about towing?
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
Diverted Income
Moderate User

Post by Diverted Income »

P-Dogg wrote:I have a 10' Apex RIB with a 15 HP motor on the back of my tricab. With a flat deck and vee hull, it is practically a portable amusement ride. Mounted with a $eawi$e davit. Tender tows just fine, but since the davit is so easy to use, we hardly ever do that.

I got a RIB, because I didn't want the hassle of inflating/deflating whenever I wanted a dinghy. My motor stays attached to the RIB, so it takes about two minutes to depart from the mother ship. Which is why I bit the bullet and went the way that I did. Things that are easy to do get done more often, so we actually use the dink a lot. Why are you only asking about towing?
Guess towing a dink with an essentially flat bottom made me wonder. I don't have a great place to store the dinghy when at the dock so that is why I am considering a roll up type. Would stash it on the swim platform or tow it while out. If we didn't need it would just keep it rolled up and stowed. Any and all thoughts-idea are welcome.
1982 Trojan F-32 w/Merc 230's
1975 Baja V-1800J w/ 502 Ford
http://missriverrat.com
https://www.facebook.com/UMRMriverrat
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

allot of guys around me flip them up on their swim platforms to avoid paying to store at the marina, I had a 8ft Mercury this worked well but the motor was a 15hp and the fuel tank to put on and off was too much work. My current tender is a center console, flipping it against the transom clearly wont work
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

Towing my 14' Rossiter....

And the Classic Boston Whaler before it
https://www.flickr.com/photos/79664671@ ... /lightbox/
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

Hello

I'm not a fan of the air floor. I'm ordering an aluminum floor to replace the air floor.
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express