Rebuilding vs. New

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Chaban

Rebuilding vs. New

Post by Chaban »

I bought my Trojan F28 6 years ago. Intended to use it rrequently after updating and upgrading it. Long story short, fell in with an unscrupulous boat yard who stole most of the new electronics I had purchased and drained my capital quickly. Am disabled and my son, who was to help, has since developed other interests (a girl, :-)).

Now to the u eart 8f the matter. The boat was a fresh water boat only (Lake Michigan its entire life) until I moved it to Wilmington, NC. Ran it ijce in the ocean. Starboard engine ran fine but thrthe port engine quit after 5 minutes. Since then have not been able to keep it 7n the water, siso it sits and rots. Have refurbished the inside completely and even bought a customized pull out couch for it.

Really would love to keep it if it wouldn't be too expensive to get it back in running condition. My son has a degree in Marine Tech. but is not that experienced. He says that the 3 things that are wrong or possibly wriwrong with the boat is:

1. The engines. Doesn't get too cold here, so the engines haven't been winterized since the first year out of the water. The starboard engine has a oil leak due to a head gasket. Engines haven't been run in 6 years. How do you test an inboard engine on dry land? The engines are the original engines. Wouldn't it be time to replace them anyway? If not, how much would a rebuild for 2 Chrysler 314's cost vs. replacing them since they are common engines?

2. The deck of the flying bridge is soft in spots. Is this too involved for me to do or do I need someone to do it? What would I be looking at doing it myself vs. a professional?

3. Lastly but the most important because from what I understand if this is the case then the rest doesn't matter. The boat has been resting on jackstands for the last 4 years. My son says that these can cause microcracks in the hull. How do I determine if this has happened or not? Could it be in some areas and not others and could it be repaired or is it the death knell for this beautiful boat?

Any help this forum can give would be appreciated.

I hate that this boat that I had such hopes for is in such sad condition. Between the unscrupulous boatyard owner and my failing health in the last 8 years, this boat has fallen on hard times. If it not too expensive though, I would l8ve to start restoring it to its former glory.

Sincerely,

Dean Chaban
dean_chaban@yahoo.com
Away On Busine$$
Moderate User

Re: Rebuilding vs. New

Post by Away On Busine$$ »

Dean, Get a good boat evaluation from a recommended professional with some proper recommendations then go from there. I don't want to think you have been had, but get some professional help.
Season is short, we make the best of it.
Chaban

Post by Chaban »

Thank you for your advice. The boat surveyor that I know said that he couldn't evaluate the engines unless they were in the water. However, transporting the boat alone is $500 each way, not counting the charge to put it in the water. That's why I am trying to get a rough estimate on the engines as they are along with the deck of the flying bridge which should be labor plus marine plywood. I feel my son and I could do the bridge by ourselves, although I could be mistaken.

The part that worries me the most are the possible micro fractures to the hull because of resting on the jacket ands for so long. These would make the boat unsalvagable and render it scrap.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Chaban wrote:Thank you for your advice. The boat surveyor that I know said that he couldn't evaluate the engines unless they were in the water. However, transporting the boat alone is $500 each way, not counting the charge to put it in the water. That's why I am trying to get a rough estimate on the engines as they are along with the deck of the flying bridge which should be labor plus marine plywood. I feel my son and I could do the bridge by ourselves, although I could be mistaken.

The part that worries me the most are the possible micro fractures to the hull because of resting on the jacket ands for so long. These would make the boat unsalvagable and render it scrap.
Hows the surveyor going to evaluate a non running engine ? no difference on land or water . Get a tech to look at them see if they will turn over then get them running .

microcracks or micro fractures ?? I thing your worried about nothing I owned and repaired a lot of boats that sat on land for years no issues at all with the hull . What about the millions of boats dry stored on racks ? not a problem

Unless it was poorly bock or filled with water full or froze I drought you have a issue .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
g36
Moderate User

Post by g36 »

i wonder if your health is up to repairing the boat, sounds like by yourself. i know many of us enjoying working on our boat i am sure you probably do also but if you are not healthy enough it may be more of a burden on you that it would be worth. you would decide that for yourself but could it be a boat that is in better shape and running be better for you even though it might cost abit more money? if you dread working on what you have you may never get it back in the water.
just my opinion but what ever you decide i wish you the best.
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet
1978 F32 SEDAN CHRYSLER 318's

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
1985 sunbird 18 ft runabout
1968 coronado sailboat 25 ft
sunfish
14' hobie cat
canoe