Engine Confusion

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

horhay1946

Engine Confusion

Post by horhay1946 »

I recently purchased a 81 Tri Cabin with a bad starbord engine. After removing the engine I found that the engine is a standard rotation. The boat was repowered about 5 years ago and 200 hours. I am wondering if the former owner replaced the counter rotating engine with a standard rotation. The engines are Chrysler 360s with Velvet drive transmissions.

Thinking that the engine was a reverse rotation engine I purchased a reverse rotation engine. I understand that I have several options.

1. Sell the reverse rotation engine and purchase a standard rotation engine.
2. Convert the reverse rotation engine to standard.
3. Install the reverse rotation engine and change/convert the necessary accessories to reverse rotation.

I am looking for suggestions, but I would like to put the boat back to origional, however not having a reverse rotation engine also sounds like a good idea.
1985 Mako 258 (One Owner)
1981 Trojan Tri Cabin

George
The Dog House
Active User

Re: Engine Confusion

Post by The Dog House »

Did you buy a complete engine, long block, or short block?
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

You said it was repowered 5 years ago , What transmissions ratio do you have ? Have you seen the props ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
horhay1946

Post by horhay1946 »

I bought a mostly complete rebuilt engine. Missing some of the accessories. I do not know the transmission ratio and I have not seen the props. I seariously doubt that the PO changed the prop for a std rotation one
1981 Trojan Tri Cabin

George
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

horhay1946 wrote:I bought a mostly complete rebuilt engine. Missing some of the accessories. I do not know the transmission ratio and I have not seen the props. I seariously doubt that the PO changed the prop for a std rotation one
I don't imagine either or the boat would have a serious fishtail.
horhay1946

Post by horhay1946 »

To clairify an earlier post. The engine I bought is a long block without the heads installed, a short block with heads in bags and some other stuff. The engine did not come with manifolds or some of the other stuff
1981 Trojan Tri Cabin

George
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

I have an original tri-cabin 1984. I was surprised to find that the Starboard engine was in-fact the standard rotation engine, different from my other boat. My trannies are 2:1 Borgs and I think (think) the rotation is reversed there as the back half of the trannies have gears in them and research says the 2:1 reverse the turn so the Starboard turns over the top to the right and the Port prop over the top to the left.

What to do for you; locate the correct cam shaft for your engines, correct distributor and reassemble each correctly. That is assuming you cannot return your engine.

Get the tranny model #s and call bob at beacon, he can look up what the trannies are.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

That's what I was thinking Larry , that's why I asked about the ratio . the trans number will work too .

"horhay1946 "If your post the # I can also look it up
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
horhay1946

Post by horhay1946 »

Is there anyway to determine what actually came in the boat. I can switch camshafts and front and real seals. Are there any other differences between a reverse and std rotation engine. BTW I got the engine from an individual at a very good price, so I could actually sell the engine and make money, but then I would have to buy another one.
1981 Trojan Tri Cabin

George
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

I do not know about 360s distributor on Rev engine, on 318s the sidtributor has a spacer under it. Someone will know out there about that. Also just get the serial and model number from your tranny to find out. My 84 has crusader 270s and the bw drive, they are per factory documents with the boat 2:1, but now sure about yours. Bob at Beacon will most likely have that information, you can purchase your boat docs from him. :)
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
BeaconMarineBob
Beacon Bob
Beacon Bob

Post by BeaconMarineBob »

From the factory the F 36 starboard engine is auto motive rotation (Standard) rotation. 2.1 ratio. This is true for all Tri Cabins with engines under the salon.
Bob
Beacon Marine
Bob Cushman, Owner
Beacon Marine Supply
Bob@BeaconMarineSupply.com
(609)713-4602
~ Please Contribute to the Forum ~
Dante D

Post by Dante D »

Horhay,,, Dante here,, sorry to here your having trouble with that engine. As Larry said if you need to, just change the cam and dist, and you should be good to go. Also, when referring to engines..... A long block is the complete engine with heads , a short block is the block only no heads. Accessories dont come into play.
horhay1946

Post by horhay1946 »

I think I got it figured out. The transmission is a BW 10-17-008 1.91:1. According to the manuals the output is opposite of the input. Also the engine model is LM360BW19-951. The serial number on the tag matches the one on the Power center.

What caused the problem is when the PO purchased an engine he bought a rev rotation engine. I guess he had the same problem as I have.

Anyway I am going to put a standard rotation engine in just how I am going to do that is up in the air. I am either going to purchase a short block or convert the rev rotation one I just bought to std rotation.

The engine I bout was rebuilt to replace one that was raw water cooled and the block was distroyed but the internals were good. I was told that an automotive block was found and all the internals from the old engine were reworked and installed in the new block. However new pistons were installed. The block never had the heads installed so I guess you could call it a short block with heads on the side. I also got most of the other stuff. The previous engine owner was going to put it in a 26 Trojan but decided to go with a GM 350 instead.

I guess the remaining question is are there any differences in a std rotation engine and a rev rotation one except for the seals, cam and dizzy drive?
1981 Trojan Tri Cabin

George
BeaconMarineBob
Beacon Bob
Beacon Bob

Post by BeaconMarineBob »

Note: on any Chrysler engine the distributor is the same standard rotation or reverse rotation. Both distributors turn the same direction. If you want to make a standard rotation engine a reverse rotation engine you must change the cam and the distributor drive gear as well as starter. The real seals on crank if rebuilt is most likely by rotational seal. On the standard rotation engine there were marks on the crank to push oil away from rear seal. If you standard rotation engine has not had these marks removed from crank it will push oil towards seal if you run it in reverse. Pull the pan and check it to make sure the marks have been removed. Feelfree to call us if you need more help.

Bob
beacon Marine
609 713 4602
Bob Cushman, Owner
Beacon Marine Supply
Bob@BeaconMarineSupply.com
(609)713-4602
~ Please Contribute to the Forum ~
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support