What is the lowest point in the engine room bilge on F32

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

AndyF32
Sporadic User

What is the lowest point in the engine room bilge on F32

Post by AndyF32 »

I have a 1990 F32 and want to put a 500gph automatic bilge pump in the lowest point of the bilge. The pump I have now is all the way forward against the bulkhead. I am looking to install it while still on the hard so any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
ScurvyDog

Re: What is the lowest point in the engine room bilge on F32

Post by ScurvyDog »

I have a 78 F32 and the water in my engine room does drain forward. I am also planning a buildge pump in this area, and will be putting it at the fwd bulkhead. Hope this helps
F32 Ruffinit
Bridgeview Marina
Sarnia, On, Canada
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

When it is sitting level, the forward area is the lowest point. I have another installed all the way aft for when I am underway.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

All the way forward ( as possible ) 500 is a little on the small size . My Trojan (F36)came with a 1200 up front . I am currently using a Attwood Sahara Automatic Bilge Pump 1100 . I would go larger but that's the largest Attwood Automatic Pump you can get . I use to be a rule fan but their Rule-mate auto pump use to use a float to turn on ( that's ok ) and sensor to turn off (not ok IMO ) they seem not shut off and keep running sometimes . Now they use a sensor . The reg Rule Auto pump it turns on to check for water . Do you really want a pump turning on every 2 1/2 minutes ? I have no issues with the std rule pumps hooked up to a separate float . That's what I have in the stern (2000 gph) . I wish they still made Lovett pumps :cry:

You should have at least 2 pumps and they should be hooked to separate batteries .The bigger the better (within reason )
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Rule has a" smart pump" too it turns on to check for water
I don't like these either. What they do is periodically turn on and measure the (electrical) current. Since the current draw is larger if it is pumping water, it stays on if a threshold current is detected. Of course, it cannot tell the difference between a fouled impeller and water, so if your shower drains into the bilge (some do, yick!) and your impeller gets clogged with hair or other debris, the pumps stays on as long as there is power.

I also concur with the recommendation for more pumping capacity. Also, given total equal pumping capacity, I prefer three pumps over two simply because of the redundancy. My tricabin has one pump aft, one at the forward engine room bulkhead, and one in the bow just aft of the flair. Since my boat sits bow low at rest, I paralleled the high-water alarm to the aft pump, because it should never turn on except when I test the float switch or throw the manual switch on the panel. If I'm underway and the aft pump turns on, or at rest and it turns on, something is wrong.

And don't fall for the ratings listed on the pump. I recall reading that the pumps are tested at 13.6 volts with no discharge hose, conditions which hardly mimic reality. You can also get a grumpy old surveyor's thoughts on pumps here: http://www.yachtsurvey.com/bilge_pumps.htm
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
AndyF32
Sporadic User

Post by AndyF32 »

Thanks for all the feedback. I should have been more clear in my original post.

I do have the standard setup of a 1500 GPH pump fwd at the engine room bulkhead and one aft about a foot from the transom.

I was hoping to use the 500GPH to pump down to a lower level. I find that the 1500 shuts off with a fair amount of water still in the bilge.
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Do you have a shower pump that you could re-purpose? My forward head doubles as a shower, which I will hardly ever use. It is served by a positive displacement pump that I intended to valve such that I can either select the shower sump, or the bilge. With the correct pump inlet, such as this one http://www.starmarinedepot.com/perko-pu ... r-709.html , and being far forward (in my boat), I hope to be able to solve the problem that you are addressing.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

I'm confused why you have one forward in the engine room...

My F32 I have two:
One fully Aft against transom where the water goes while underway.
One under step platform in V berth where the water goes when not moving.

The Fwd engine room bulkhead should have minimal water, in fact only there as it travels forward when stopping travel.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
AndyF32
Sporadic User

Post by AndyF32 »

P-Dogg - Actually I was going to do that on my last boat and actually have one of those strainers I had bought at the time. That may still be the easiest way to solve the issue.

ready123 - Both my current and my previous F32 had the 3 pump setup 1 fwd under v berth, 1 at the forward end of the engine room, and 1 under the cockpit just forward of the transom.

The aft most pump only runs when underway with a bow up attitude. I am curious as to whether or not you have the saddle tanks outboard of the engines or just the 2 fuel tanks aft. Thinking that could make the difference.
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

No saddle tanks but would not expect that to make the hull that much lower uderway to make the midship pump effective. Of course three is not worse than two but may not really add anything.
Michael
Done Dreamin'
AndyF32
Sporadic User

Post by AndyF32 »

ready123 - With the saddle tanks the low point at rest in is the engine room not aft. When underway it all depends on your trim etc.

On a side note last spring I had dropped a 9/16 socket in the bilge and it went under the generator. Being unable to get to it I had left it there thinking it would not be an issue. Later in the season when I found myself out in some 2 1/2 foot seas the socket found the bilge pump switch and cracked the housing. Luckily the switch failed in the on position.
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

AndyF32 wrote:ready123 - With the saddle tanks the low point at rest in is the engine room not aft. When underway it all depends on your trim etc.
On a side note last spring I had dropped a 9/16 socket in the bilge and it went under the generator. Being unable to get to it I had left it there thinking it would not be an issue. Later in the season when I found myself out in some 2 1/2 foot seas the socket found the bilge pump switch and cracked the housing. Luckily the switch failed in the on position.
I think you are misunderstanding me.... I have never suggested the low point was aft at rest.... that is underway.
What I said was:
At rest I'm saying the low point is the bow. Underway for me it is Aft and I would expect the saddle tanks to still be the same unless one is trimming the bow down to plow.
From what I have seen of the F32 the correct on plane attitude is with the lower forward curve of the bow to be out of the water....... in that position any bilge water must be aft.
Michael
Done Dreamin'
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

The lowest point at rest is at the bow . Water in the engine room will run forward as will water in the stern . If it doesn't something is plugged up .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

As other have mentioned, the lowest point, sitting in the water is the bow.
Have a look at my last pics in my repower thread and you'll see my midship pump in engine room up near bulkhead. I think that's a 500 pump but water is rarely pumped the engine room.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

Regarding engine room pump...

On my previously owned slick craft, I installed one there for backup purposes and it saved me several times. My forward pump would sometimes get fouled by leaves, debris, etc; no matter how diligent I was at keeping the bilge clean.

The mid-station pump kept the water down enough where the bow would not dip and cause flooding in the cabin area.

I am not that familiar with the dynamics of the trojans.