FAULTY SHORE WATER HOOKUP?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

FAULTY SHORE WATER HOOKUP?

Post by aaronbocknek »

hey all in trojan land. FINALLY, the marina has turned on the dock water. after flushing out the onboard systems, i hooked up the water from the dock to the boatside connection. turned on the water at the dock, then went aboard and turned on the galley faucet. what i got was a trickle. forward head, same thing. shower aft, again, just a trickle. checked the connection at the dock, and, yes, the water was turned on with great flow. so i tried it again at the galley and still the same problem persisted. i disconnected the hose boatside and used a hand held compressor to blow a few pulses of air into the check valve. the pressure read 50 psi then rapidly decreased to close to zero. i hooked up the water hose, left the galley faucet open, then turned the water on dockside. the flow was slow but gradually increased to 'normal' water flow. two years ago i experienced the same situation on an intermittent basis. last year we did not use the onboard pump/water so this was never an issue. is it possible that the check valve in the boatside hookup is bad? has anyone out there experienced this before? if so, what was the solution? it is a simple(yeah right) matter of swapping out the old boatside hookup for a new one? let me know. and yes, i will let you all know what the solution was.
***when the onboard pump is working, you can hear the exterior check valve 'thumping' in rhythm to the pump***
thanks all.
aaron, brad and maccabee
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
g36
Moderate User

Re: FAULTY SHORE WATER HOOKUP?

Post by g36 »

i had exactly the same problem year before last
good water pressure at the dock hardly any water coming out of the faucets, however they had good flow when using my onboard pump. the inlet pressure reducer/check valve on the boat was bad i had another, installed it and problem solved. rv store or amazon etc. easy to replace so they do go bad. took the old one apart looked for obstructions etc nothing, found basically nothing but spring and seat in it. take yours apart and check, good luck
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet
1978 F32 SEDAN CHRYSLER 318's

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
1985 sunbird 18 ft runabout
1968 coronado sailboat 25 ft
sunfish
14' hobie cat
canoe
8ft portabote
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Aaron, be sure the water heater drain is closed, if you drained it. Also, the water will trickle until the water heater fills first.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

++
Stripermann2 wrote:Aaron, be sure the water heater drain is closed, if you drained it. Also, the water will trickle until the water heater fills first.
Hi Aaron,

Not on the boat but on my dock which has water heater and basically an efficiency kitchen and shower. When we just turned the water on I get exactly that same symptom. Once water heater filled up, are good to go and pressure comes up. On water heater I made sure drain was closed and opened the Pressure/temp valve that is near the top, once water comes out it virtually all air has been purged. :)
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

Post by aaronbocknek »

thanks guys. the first attempt to go from onboard to shore, i had the water heater bypassed for winterizing. in essence, a closed loop system. no problems with using the onboard pump as i was cleaning the tank of antifreeze. (i generally clear the system like this because i do not like 'pink' getting into the water heater as it leaves a nasty smell when heated with the water.). i hooked up the shore side, heater still bypassed, and nothing. just the trickle. puffed air into the shore hookup, and then reattached the hose. good water flow. second attempt, i removed the bypass then hooked up the shore hose. water heater drain is closed, and i waited roughly 10 minutes before turning on a faucet. i slowly turn on the hot side of the forward head sink spigot to vent any air out of the tank....it does sputter until the pressure and water equalize. as the tank is filling, and you can hear it, i check for any connection leaks. i ran the onboard pump and water flowed great. letting the water heater fill from the onboard fresh water tank i switched the pump off. reconnected the shore hose and nothing. i waited a few minutes and again, nothing. only after puffing air into the shore connection and moving the check valve did i get water to flow.
and it does take a while for the water heater to fill as i've got the raritan 20 gallon model. i have to admit, it gives us all the hot water we need. even when using the tub.

today when i was putting items away, i discovered a shore water hookup unit. where it came from i have no idea, but, suffice it to say, i have one. its not in a box, but, it looks like its brand new.

thanks for the input fellas. i'll keep you posted. btw........brad is itching to organize the galley again for the season. he's more 'upstairs', i'm more 'downstairs'. (if you've watched bbc and are familiar with upstairs/downstairs, or downton abbey, you know what i mean. but it's a good thing)
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

I have an F-32. How would I know if I have a shore water hookup? I have what looks to be a standard garden hose hookup on the starboard side deck wall near the glass doors. I thought it might be for wash-down.
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

Post by aaronbocknek »

bjanakos wrote:I have an F-32. How would I know if I have a shore water hookup? I have what looks to be a standard garden hose hookup on the starboard side deck wall near the glass doors. I thought it might be for wash-down.
does it look like a 'traditional' out door type faucet? if so, then i believe it is the shore hookup. my 1976 f-32 had one on the port side, under the combing near the aft cabin bulkhead. it started leaking and i replaced it with a more traditional shore hookup. worked great. then again, i have no clue what the previous owners of your vessel did plumbing wise. hook it up, turn it on and see if you have water coming from the faucet in the galley. and ALWAYS check for possible leaks.
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

There are two.... One is an out-door type spigot, and the other is a white plastic hose fitting with a cap. I believe the washdown pump is attached to the spigot. This is a new boat to me and I have not floated it yet ;) So I guess I will have to track the hoses down.

Curious though, I have a switch on my overhead panel labeled (Water). I hit the switch, but I don't hear anything. Is this for faucet water?
g36
Moderate User

Post by g36 »

on my f32 there was a shore connectio portside in cockpit behind the ladder to the bridge
the shore water connection inlet will be some version of this pic. (female threads)
http://images.dyersonline.com/catalog/p ... 3686-1.jpg

if you have a washdown it will be male threads and a version like this or a spigot. most common types there are a few others.
http://www.thehulltruth.com/attachments ... g_1293.jpg

or
http://discountmarinesource.com/images/ ... -11204.jpg
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet
1978 F32 SEDAN CHRYSLER 318's

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
1985 sunbird 18 ft runabout
1968 coronado sailboat 25 ft
sunfish
14' hobie cat
canoe
8ft portabote
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

Post by aaronbocknek »

bjanakos wrote:There are two.... One is an out-door type spigot, and the other is a white plastic hose fitting with a cap. I believe the washdown pump is attached to the spigot. This is a new boat to me and I have not floated it yet ;) So I guess I will have to track the hoses down.

Curious though, I have a switch on my overhead panel labeled (Water). I hit the switch, but I don't hear anything. Is this for faucet water?
okay, now we're getting somewhere. the outdoor spigot is the wash down. the hose fitting with cap is the shore water hookup.
the switch on your panel could be for the onboard fresh water pump or the spigot wash down. if you don't hear anything, perhaps you need to turn on the accessory switch, if indeed, you have one of those. also, make sure the 12v master breaker is on. again, if you have one of those. either that or the onboard fresh water pump may have blown a breaker on the pump itself, or, it's just bad. for the wash down, you may have either fresh water---drawn from the onboard tank and shore hookup--- or a raw water wash down. in that case, the pump uses water drawn from a seacock and strainer then to it's own washdown pump.
as for the shore hookup, just attach a water hose to the shore spigot and the boatside unit. turn on the tap and you should have water for the sinks, toilet and shower. no need to turn on any pump for that. suggest that BEFORE you do any onboard water stuff you make sure the water heater is attached, hot and cold, and the drain cock is closed. i'd recommend opening a hot water spigot to draw any air out of the water heater. sputtering is normal until the pressure and water equalizes.

wish i were there to help trace all this down. i love doing this type of stuff. hope this helps.
aaron
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

It does help, THANKS!

I have both connections as pictured, and low and behold, there is a garden hose connected to the spigot. There is another switch labeled "Washdown", so I guess that narrows it down a bit :shock: When I hit that switch, and can hear another pump, located in the back run for a second; I am sure it is trying to prime itself and will run properly when there is water present.

I still don't hear anything from the switch labeled "Water Pump". I did find another pump located under the galley sink.

Thanks for the help, I didnt mean to derail the topic, and I will look at this once she gets in the water. Right now I need to continue to focus on the pre-splash work.
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

bjanakos wrote:It does help, THANKS!

I have both connections as pictured, and low and behold, there is a garden hose connected to the spigot. There is another switch labeled "Washdown", so I guess that narrows it down a bit :shock: When I hit that switch, and can hear another pump, located in the back run for a second; I am sure it is trying to prime itself and will run properly when there is water present.

I still don't hear anything from the switch labeled "Water Pump". I did find another pump located under the galley sink.

Thanks for the help, I didnt mean to derail the topic, and I will look at this once she gets in the water. Right now I need to continue to focus on the pre-splash work.
If you are plumbed like mine and have original tank, fresh water tank will be under the aft cockpit, between the fuel tanks. My pump is mounted on top of the tank. You can access through the small aft deck hatch. You will also have access to fuel tanks, mufflers, rudders, hydraulic steering ram, probably trim tab reservoir, and aft bilge pump through the same hatch.
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

Post by aaronbocknek »

bjanakos wrote:It does help, THANKS!

washdown pump/switch indeed for the washdown system. now, the only thing to discover for that is it freshwater, i.e. drawing from the onboard tank, or, raw water, drawing from a seacock below the waterline.

you said you found a pump under the galley sink? chances are, if your vessel is plumbed like most f32's, it is the sump pump for the shower in the head. you should see a pull out style switch above the vanity maybe to the right or left of the sink.

if your water pump is not working, it may be a bad reset switch on the front of the pump, or, a bad pump. again, like most 32s, the pump for the fresh water system is mounted on top of the water tank under the back deck. i replaced mine when i bought it in 2007. very easy to do. but be sure to use waterproof butt connectors when you splice the new to the old wires.

are for derailing the topic, no. you did not. not in the least.
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

Thank you for the intel... I will have to take a much closer look when I have the time.

What I do know so far is that the washdown pump draws from the generator seacock and the generator is disconnected from the seacock and never used. There is a pump on the engine room side of the bulkhead to port. Rumor has it that the toilet also operates on raw water. The hot water tank has been bypassed as well as the shower. I have no idea on the sinks.

I do see a pull switch to the right of the head sink. Three of them labeled Blower, Toilet, and Shower. The blower does it's obvious job, and the toilet switch operates the vacuum pump for the toilet. However, the shower switch either makes no noise, or I could not hear that from the head... I will have to pay attention to that.
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

bjanakos wrote:Three of them labeled Blower, Toilet, and Shower. .....the shower switch either makes no noise, or I could not hear that from the head... I will have to pay attention to that.
That is supposed to run the pump under the galley sink, to push shower drain water overboard.