Stabil 360

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

The Dog House
Active User

Stabil 360

Post by The Dog House »

Stabil 360 is supposed to release a vapor above the fuel level to prevent corrosion inside the fuel tank. Has anyone used this product yet? If it works as advertised, it might be a good product for those of us still using galvanized fuel tanks. I'm currently using Startron, but would consider switching to a better product. Any thoughts?
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
Away On Busine$$
Moderate User

Re: Stabil 360

Post by Away On Busine$$ »

DOG, My boat is an F32 '76 with original tanks, can you give me a little more info on what your using, and why the change. We are only 3 years in to this venture and need to get as much info for these older boat as possible.

Thanks Ken
Season is short, we make the best of it.
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

I'm currently using Star Tron enzyme fuel treatment ( www.starbrite.com/category/marine ). It works well, and I haven't had any problems. My fuel filter rarely has any water in it when I change the filter each year. Galvanized tanks can eventually rust through, so I'm interested in anything that might prolong their life. Stabil 360 may or may not help preserve the tanks. That's what I'm trying to find out.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

It cant hurt , why not use both ? ( I like starton too )
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

Is the main problem with rusting on those tanks not from water/damp on the outside? Like under straps, where tank rests in blocks etc:
Condensation on the inner walls of the tanks is a rare if not a non issue in everything I have researched.

When I bought my diesel President that had been rarely used and had 4 yr old fuel in the tanks I was encouraged by those on the Net to polish my fuel due to this condensation phenomena.
I went ahead and got a polishing unit and a dozen filters to deal with dirty fuel I was *going* to have.... well after 3 days of polishing the fuel and NO dirty filters I gave up. Of course many experts said the sludge was on the tank walls and my first run in open water would serve up the problem. My fear quotient was elevated. :shock:

I have since burned all that fuel and more, crossed the Gulf of Mexico and been running the boat for 4 yrs and have yet to deal with quick plugging fuel filters. :D
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

I was always told the galvanized tanks would rust from the inside out so there was no way of knowing the condition of the tank. When I knock on my tanks with my fist I get a solid thud, so they seem good. I also keep an eye on my fuel filter canister when I change fuel filters annually for rust, etc., but so far I haven't seen anything of significance. The outside of my tanks look good, so I'm not worried about that. I can easily keep an eye on the condition of the outside of the tanks. The Stabil 360 may be a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. I'm still trying to figure that out.
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

You can't believe everything you here. :wink:

What do you think would happen on the inside that would start corrosion more than what can happen on the outside?
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

ready123 wrote:You can't believe everything you here. :wink:

What do you think would happen on the inside that would start corrosion more than what can happen on the outside?
I'm not really sure. The outside is dry and as long as dissimilar metals are isolated should not be a corrosion problem. The inside could have water vapor/condensate above the fuel level and the 10% ethanol fuel could have water molecules suspended in it. Again, I don't know if these are viable problems or not. I'm trying to figure out if the Stabil 360 is solving a real problem or is just marketing hype.
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

at the recommendation of my mechanic john, i've always used the MDR product E-ZORB. i've been very pleased with it. i also use the MDR STOR N START for winter storage. again, both, great products.

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?pa ... &id=725700
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Men, I replaced the galvanized fuel tanks in my TriCabin ten years ago.

The starboard tank had abruptly begun bleeding gas at its aft end - I say bleeding because we couldn't identify where exactly the leak was coming from as the gas would simply bead up at the tanks lowest point (filling the interior with a strong gasoline odor).

The subsequent examination by the marina suspected pin holes. Big job pulling those tanks out of a TriCabin but we had no choice.

The tanks were emptied and then pressure tested. Pin holes were found literally everywhere. The fact that the pin holes were all around the bottom of the tanks (long round tanks) make me believe that the corrosion originated from outside-in. Thoughts??
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

rickalan35 wrote:
The tanks were emptied and then pressure tested. Pin holes were found literally everywhere. The fact that the pin holes were all around the bottom of the tanks (long round tanks) make me believe that the corrosion originated from outside-in. Thoughts??
That's good news for me (sorry about the bad news for you :twisted: ). My two tanks are located underneath the cockpit deck on each side of the engine far above any water that might get into the bilge. They are always high and dry. I rarely get any water in the engine room bilge since the bilge pump in front of the engine pumps it overboard before it can get back to the engine and when I do the water is nowhere near the bottom of the fuel tanks. If the primary corrosion of the galvanized tanks comes from the outside, then my tanks should be in good shape. Any ethanol treatment should be adequate for what I need. Thanks to all for the insight regarding this.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I have seen it both ways .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels