Rear deck wood finishing

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Duane

Rear deck wood finishing

Post by Duane »

I have a 26 ft Trojan and wold like to spruce it up a bit. The wooden deck is weathered and I would like to finish it but I dont know what to do. Should I sand it and varnish it or sand it and stain it or what to do. Any suggestions? How was originally finished when it was new? Anyone know?

Duane
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Rear deck wood finishing

Post by captainmaniac »

The deck will be teak. When the boat came from the factory it probably would have had a good dose of teak oil on the deck. You will get a bunch of different opinions from different people (some prefer grey, weathered look, some prefer a more golden look, some prefer darker, etc... )

My view...

Teak oil is a waste of time. Don't know where you are located, but oil requires frequent re-application. If you are up to redoing the teak every 6-8 weeks (fresh water, Canada), oil might be good for you. Probably required monthly in salt / southern US environments.

Stain is only going to change the colour. You still need to apply something else to seal that in. I don't know of anyone who has decided to stain their teak.

Varnish is a bad idea. You want to make sure that surfaces people walk on are not slippery... varnish, and some more glossy finishes, become slippery when they get wet (with rain, spray, whatever). For safety you want to say away form stuff like that for your cockpit.

What I like : Cetol. There are 3 versions : Natural (no pigment), Light (very little pigment), and Regular (some people consider it a bit orangey). I have been a huge Cetol fan for years. I use 'regular' on my swim platform and steps to the flybridge. I use 'light' with 'gloss' over top (Cetol Gloss should only be applied over another Cetol product, and yes - being gloss it makes things a bit more slippery) on my bow pulpit. In the pictures, the speaker boxes are Oak with Cetol (regular) over top (kept out of the elements). Haven't touched them in at least 13 years now, still look just as good. Ditto for the box for the VHF, which is Cetol (regular) over teak, and just as old.

Here are links to my 'wood finishes' gallery:
Wood Finish examples (part 1)
https://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/view ... f=1&t=3206

Wood Finish examples (part 2)
https://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/view ... =1&t=12738

I have also used Deks Olje on my father's 1969 Trojan... but find Cetol holds up better.

Good luck with whatever direction you decide to go.
Last edited by captainmaniac on Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Duane

Post by Duane »

Thanks for the good ideas. My boat is on lake superior (knife river) west end of the lake. I might also ask is all the wood (cabin bulkhead, door inside wood) teak as well or something else. I will look into Cecil. Should I sand first before applying the coating and how many coats? I am hoping to have the time this summer to do some serious work on the boat seeing that my plans are to retire in July.

Duane
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Interior wood tends to be a veneer. You can probably search other posts on the forum re interior wood refinishing to find a bunch of options.

Before applying Cetol to the decks you will either want to sand, or use a 2 part Teak cleaner (part 1 is an acid, part 2 is a base), or both.... depending on how dirty or degraded your teak is. After cleaning things up, usually 3-4 coats Cetol provides a surface (up here anyways) that doesn't need any maintenance for 3-4 years. Maintenance may be light sanding and one more coat, good for another 3-4 years.

That is my experience anyways (Lake Ontario).
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Hi Duane,

Be prepared for the fact that not everyone likes Cetol.

But I totally agree with the Captain. I do exactly the same thing that he does and have done so for many years. Sanding is a big job (my tricabin has a teak sole and cockpit) and they need to be completely sanded down. Don't put cetol over an unsanded deck as it'll look awful.

I use the plain marine cetol. Not a fan of the gloss cetol but that's just a personal preference. Be careful not to buy fast drying cetol as the fumes are noxious. Go to a marine supply store to make your purchase as they'll have the correct stuff.

3 or 4 coats will last for three seasons (up here in Canada) and then put an additional coat on to spruce it up. If you allow high traffic areas to "wear through" or the sun to "wear it through" - then your screwed and you'll have to sand the whole area again (Happened to me twice over the past 19 years grrrrr).

Just my thoughts for what they're worth. Good luck.
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
1967 seavoyager
Moderate User

Post by 1967 seavoyager »

Get a brass gas grill brush & a couple cans of Comet, wet the deck & scrub. After it's rinsed & dried, coat with Sikkens door & window. It's clear so the natural colors will show through. My deck came out real nice. Text me your # to 315-374-9736 & I'll send you some before & after pics. My deck is 47 years old.
They'll pry a rotten plank from my cold dead fingers before i go "Tupperware". http://www.photobucket.com/restless
seavoyager36@hotmail.com

"Restless"
1967 Trojan 36' Sea Voyager Express