Two Trojans take a dive...

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

bjanakos
Moderate User

Two Trojans take a dive...

Post by bjanakos »

It was a VERY foggy day yesterday on the west side of Lake Michigan. I took my vessel down from Kenosha WI to Waukegan IL in the thick pea soup. No radar, but I have a good chart plotter. I stayed well away from shore and took her in slow.

Unfortunately, two others were not as lucky as I... After I got in, I spent the rest of the day setting up my lines. Another Capt. and I saw an F-32 heading out with two beer drinkers standing on the bow. He even remarked.... "They'll end up on the rocks..."

Sure enough, about an hour later, 6 of them came climbing over the breaker wall soaking wet. They went aground on rocky shoals and from what I know, the boat is now on the bottom with just the bimini sticking out. Visibility was only about 100 yards and I could not see the boat from the wall. As the conversations continued, I learned that a 10 meter went aground the day before and it a total loss.

There were no injuries in either incident; thank goodness for that...
bjanakos
Moderate User

Re: Two Trojans take a dive...

Post by bjanakos »

gitchisum
Moderate User

Post by gitchisum »

Hmmmm Looks to me like a radar dome hanging off the front of the flybridge :shock:

What a shame
88 321 Sedan 270 crusaders
2001 Seadoo Challenger 2000
97 Lowe Roughneck 17TC
1948 Alumacraft K14, Evinrude twin 6hp " Still kickin"
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

Oh man, that's just sad.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I would not go out in pea soup fog. I have great radar and know how to use it. 3 chart good plotters . I been caught in some bad fog .But I don't leave the dock in it . With the exception to assist .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

My new to me F32 has a chart plotter and radar dome and stuff not connected, I'm clueless but determined to figure it out this year
rmatt

Post by rmatt »

agree with Prowlersfish. Getting caught in fog is one thing leaving in fog is not to bright, pun intended.
Bob
1986 Hatteras 36 Sedan
Cat 3208T

1978 Trojan F32
Chrysler 360
Reel Easy
Sporadic User

Post by Reel Easy »

That's unfortunate. I never leave if it's not clear. I don't have a radar or the experience to take chances.
Dustin
78 F-32 Express Hard top twin 360s Abyss
1999 360 Express twin 7.4
Catawba Island, Ohio
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

Yea... That will buff right out...

Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

Captain Francesco Schettino at it again?
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

I am puzzled by the duck tape on the hull.

Duck tape is good but it aint that good!
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Look on the bright side, they now have unlimited anchor rode storage.....
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

I watched some of the recovery. They lifted it with air bags and towed it over to the crane. The crane would not lift it, and I have seen this crane lift 60+ foot yachts!

Then they backed up a Semi-Truck trailer and got is settled. The truck could not haul it out and they had to call a heavy-duty tow truck to winch it out.
MTurvey

Post by MTurvey »

That's not duct tape - its a lifting strap. I'm a little boggled by their placement, but I'm guessing it was one of those situations where it really didn't matter. My cousin is living in Florida these days, and she (and I ) are baffled by all the people running around down there in boats, not using any navigation/ depth/ radar etc type electronics. Either they don't have them, or they've never blown the dust off 'em.
I have a radar, two GPS units and a compass - and I avoid fog like the plague. I've been caught in it twice, and it is flat out scary - I can't imagine running fast enough to do that kind of damage to your boat when there's next to no visibility. I suppose it was bound to happen to them at some point - natural consequences and all that......
Melissa

Trojan F-30 " The Shadow"
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

MTurvey wrote:That's not duct tape - its a lifting strap. I'm a little boggled by their placement, but I'm guessing it was one of those situations where it really didn't matter. My cousin is living in Florida these days, and she (and I ) are baffled by all the people running around down there in boats, not using any navigation/ depth/ radar etc type electronics. Either they don't have them, or they've never blown the dust off 'em.
I have a radar, two GPS units and a compass - and I avoid fog like the plague. I've been caught in it twice, and it is flat out scary - I can't imagine running fast enough to do that kind of damage to your boat when there's next to no visibility. I suppose it was bound to happen to them at some point - natural consequences and all that......
Short form : A CRAP LOAD (maybe 30 - 70% of boaters) don't have a frickin' clue what they are getting in to. Impacts of current???? wake??? wave action??? wind??? I have seen hundreds of people drive $20K - $100K+ boats into the dock because they didn't know any better. At my marina this year, there are a lot of new boaters.

They have money, but no brains. And their action put our lives at risk.