Help with Fuel Guages

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

bjanakos
Moderate User

Help with Fuel Guages

Post by bjanakos »

I have a '78 F-32 with a 4-tank configuration. 3 of the 4 gauges constantly read 1/2 tank and one of them reads 3/4. The tanks were topped off before my first trip.

I am curious if there are any common issues that I should be aware of, but I am figuring I need to replace the sending units. I question if this is even possible without removing the tanks and if so, where to source the parts (yes, I checked with Beacon).
The Dog House
Active User

Re: Help with Fuel Guages

Post by The Dog House »

Do the fuel gauges read 1/2 or 3/4 when the ignition is off? If so, the gauges are probably broken. The gauges should read < E when the ignition switch is off and no power is being supplied to the gauge. When I bought my boat, both fuel gauges would read 1/2 whether the key was turned on or off because the gauges were broken. You can test your gauges by jumping the signal terminal to the ground terminal when the ignition is on (12V power being supplied to the gauge). The needle should deflect all the way to the left or right (depending upon the resistance values of the gauge). If the needle doesn't move, the gauge is broken.

If the gauges are broken, it may be difficult to find a replacement gauge that matches the resistance values of your senders. The best approach would be to replace both the gauges and senders. I ended up keeping the original senders (because I didn't want to go through the hassle of replacing them) and replacing my gauges with European standard fuel gauges. I calibrated the gauges by adding fuel 5 gallons at a time (I have (2) 30 gallon tanks) and marking in pencil where the needle was. I then put a "1", "2", and "3" on the gauges to correspond to when I have 10, 20, and 30 gallons remaining. Basically, 30 gallons (full tank) is at the 3/4 mark on the gauge, 20 gallons is at the 1/2 mark on the gauge, and 10 gallons is at the 1/4 mark on the gauge. Using my calibrated marks, I can estimate how much fuel I'll need to take on at the fuel dock pretty well.

Before you start replacing your senders, make sure your gauges are working. Gauges are a lot easier to replace than senders.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

bjanakos wrote:I have a '78 F-32 with a 4-tank configuration. 3 of the 4 gauges constantly read 1/2 tank and one of them reads 3/4. The tanks were topped off before my first trip.

I am curious if there are any common issues that I should be aware of, but I am figuring I need to replace the sending units. I question if this is even possible without removing the tanks and if so, where to source the parts (yes, I checked with Beacon).

You can get the sending units out very easy, aft tanks a snap , with the forward port and stbd take your time, may have to bend arm a little to remove because below the salon floor deck but a few minutes never the less.....if I remember right they were somewhere from 90 ohms, it is stamped on there.........now the old ac gauges did not work with the new tanks I put in,new gauges and all is well....Mike
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

The gauges do jump when the ignition is on, but it seems like the point is moot if I need to replace them anyway.

I did find an older post that referenced a replacement fuel sender. For $20 it's worth a shot.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I would check it like dog house said . just ground the sender wire and see what the gague will do . if you get full movement ground vs not then most likey the gague and wireing are ok and the sender is bad .

Remember the sender must match the gague (ohm range )

When I replaced my senders I up graded the senders to wema senders . They are now dead on . much better then that swing arm junk

http://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/viewt ... ema#p84798
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Wema to the left junk :mrgreen: (swing arm ) to the right .
Attachments
wema.jpgsmall.jpg
wema.jpgsmall.jpg (56.7 KiB) Viewed 6037 times
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Bubbabuda
Sporadic User

Post by Bubbabuda »

I replaced all senders (5). Two fuel, fresh water, black water and gray water. They work great... Great quality.
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

How do you figure the length on those? Just measure the tank and get the one that best fits?

Also, how do they wire up? Mine only has one lead. I am figuring that the negative side gets it form the tank.
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

bjanakos wrote:How do you figure the length on those? Just measure the tank and get the one that best fits?

Also, how do they wire up? Mine only has one lead. I am figuring that the negative side gets it form the tank.
Ok, so I think I answered most of my own questions... I'll have to take some measurements on my next trip down there. Maybe I'll buy one of these and give it a try.

For what it's worth, there are some 5" holes drilled in the floor above the forward fuel senders, so perhaps this has been done before.
Bubbabuda
Sporadic User

Post by Bubbabuda »

I forgot to say I used WEMA senders and gauges. My fuel tanks are the original 63 gal galvanized tanks, and I think I used either 19" or 19.5" senders. Before anyone comments that I am crazy for putting the old ones back in, they were removed and cleaned without a speck of rust on them. My water and holding tanks are Todd plastic 35 gal. Those are 12" senders. WEMA will answer questions over the phone, good customer service.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

bjanakos wrote:How do you figure the length on those? Just measure the tank and get the one that best fits?

Measure the tank depth and use 1" shorter unit . 2 wires one to ground and one to the gague . The Wema diagram shows pink to ground black to gague but it will work both ways .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

Bubbabuda wrote:I forgot to say I used WEMA senders and gauges. My fuel tanks are the original 63 gal galvanized tanks, and I think I used either 19" or 19.5" senders. Before anyone comments that I am crazy for putting the old ones back in, they were removed and cleaned without a speck of rust on them. My water and holding tanks are Todd plastic 35 gal. Those are 12" senders. WEMA will answer questions over the phone, good customer service.
Was that on the round tanks in the rear? I measured 19.5" from the inside of the seams. I'm thinking for grabbing an 18.5" sender.