Sea Trials today!

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

DoorCountyScott

Sea Trials today!

Post by DoorCountyScott »

Taking a 78 F32 out today for sea trials and hoping it goes well. A have a surveyor friend with me but anything in particular with these boats I should look for?
Also hoping when we re-take the compression tests with fully charged batteries and after running her that all is well. If it is not what have people out there paid for a re-build?
Thanks!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Sea Trials today!

Post by prowlersfish »

Good luck , and if any compression issues , recheck after a good run
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
DoorCountyScott

Compression was fine (always check with a fully charged battery), high winds and 4-5 footers on Sturgeon Bay but she was great. Port engine was popping but they will get the fixed. Could not get the electronics on the fly bridge to work is there a switch we missed??) but the stove, water, and frig all worked. Looks like we are going to be part of the "club"! :D
gitchisum
Moderate User

Post by gitchisum »

Congrats!! Glad it all worked out
88 321 Sedan 270 crusaders
2001 Seadoo Challenger 2000
97 Lowe Roughneck 17TC
1948 Alumacraft K14, Evinrude twin 6hp " Still kickin"
DoorCountyScott

The boat had been up on blocks and there was water in the cabin bilge. Once in the water I assumed that would be pumped out but it was still there after sea trial????
gitchisum
Moderate User

Post by gitchisum »

I assume you are talking under the Vberth. That is the low point where water will collect. You should have a forward bilge that will remove, but it will not be completely dry. There are alot of things that could be leaking, shafts, thru hulls, etc. take a good look around and note everything. Shafts should have a slow drip to them, unless you have dripless seals installed ( the will have a small hose running cooling water to them).

Paul is the only one I know with a dry bilge, it is really nice!! We ate dinner off it once, but that was right after he waxed it! :mrgreen:
88 321 Sedan 270 crusaders
2001 Seadoo Challenger 2000
97 Lowe Roughneck 17TC
1948 Alumacraft K14, Evinrude twin 6hp " Still kickin"
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

Yes, the water will collect in the forward bilge and there will be a bit left in there. Rain water may also collect in there if it gets through the joints on the deck.

DO check your stuffing boxes. If they are traditional stuffing boxes, and the boat has been on the hard for a few years, you will want to let them drip for a week or two until they swell up. If it's still dripping more than a few times a minute, then snug them up. You may want to have the yard replace them to sweeten your purchase deal.
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

gitchisum wrote:Paul is the only one I know with a dry bilge, it is really nice!! We ate dinner off it once, but that was right after he waxed it! :mrgreen:
Yah and it's a good thing that I waxed it, that pasta sauce washed right off.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB