Not getting fire

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jwhalen

Not getting fire

Post by jwhalen »

Hopefully can get some ideas where to start. I have a 1976 Chyrsler 318 in my F26. It ran on Friday. Then would not start. Later that evening it started. Today went down to go out and it would not start. I thought it might be the coil so I replaced and tested. Had power at the coil level. Both coils seemed to work fine. However was not getting power to plugs. Tried several plugs and even put the test light into the distributor cap with no luck. Changed the rotor and still no luck. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

john
John
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Re: Not getting fire

Post by mikeandanne »

Have a look a this , lots of troubleshoot stuff here, hope this link works.....rv based but all this applies to your 318 especially if you still have the original ecu ....Mike

http://www.mediafire.com/view/qmwzwjgde ... nition.pdf
Flyboy
Sporadic User

Post by Flyboy »

2 questions, do you have electronic ignition? You said you have power to the coil, does current leave the coil.
1981 10 meter Trojan International
jwhalen

Post by jwhalen »

Flyboy wrote:2 questions, do you have electronic ignition? You said you have power to the coil, does current leave the coil.
Yes I have power on both the positive and negative side of the coil but I checked and do not have power coming out of the coil. After reading some online stuff and what mikeandanne sent, I am beginning to think I might need a new ECM.

Thoughts
John
Flyboy
Sporadic User

Post by Flyboy »

Do not know much about the 318 but it looks like it is heading that way. You might want to make sure the ground for the ECM is good.
1981 10 meter Trojan International
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

I would check ALL of the ground connections first.
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

with a Chrysler electronic control module. the 4 or 5 pin plug that plugs into it can get loose. It is supposed to have a screw in the middle holding it in, it has been my experience that many home and pro mechs leave the screw out. Pull the plug and make sure it is clean then reinsert making sure it is fully seated. if it fires. put a screw in it and forget about it. If no fire may be ecm. also the main wiring harness connecter on bundle of wires from engine to boat can get corroded, check and clean.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Look at the ballast resistor also .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
jwhalen

Post by jwhalen »

Thanks. I have a new ECM and ballast coming tomorrow. Went down today, cleaned and checked all connections. Still no fire. Hoping it is the ECM but will know tomorrow. I really appreciate all the suggestions as the electrical part is my weakest.
John
jwhalen

Post by jwhalen »

So replaced the ECM and the ballast and still no luck. Any other suggestions?
John
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

I know this sounds simplistic but if you went thru all the troubleshooting info and still nothing...have you tried jiggling the shifter or is the engine turning over but not starting???
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

++ on neutral safety switch and positioning of same at shift lever end. Happens to me all the time, I fuss then say now what. I wait a second and the light comes on to move the shifter while starter switch engaged. voom! Anyways hope that is it.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

One more thing I just thought of, make sure the center carbon electrode in the distributor cap is making proper contact with the rotor....some manufacturers caps were defective in that spot....Mike