water plumbing question

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

K4282
Moderate User

water plumbing question

Post by K4282 »

Soooo my new to me F32 has a potable water leak (among other leaks) coming out of the hot water tank to a fitting in the engine room, easy enough to remove but guess what, nobody seems to carry this PVC type hose or fittings. It appears the replacement is a clear with red stripe hot/cold garden type hose. my original hose is a plastic with compression style fittings so I guess I need to convert this over, has anyone else run into this problem? If I go with a bigger diameter hose I get less water pressure right? The plastic fittings at West marine wouldn't work out so I didn't purchase anything today as I may have to replace much more than the 4 foot section i took off the hot water tank
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Re: water plumbing question

Post by mikeandanne »

Regarding your question about the water pressure......the pressure will always be whatever your system has, if you go to a larger hose the pressure will be exactly the same but the volume will increase .....maybe too much info but that is how it works....I know that trying to match fittings can be quite a problem.....Mike
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

if your correct then I could replace this section with a thicker diameter hose and they have fittings that will work, the fittings they carry wont work with the same diameter hose in stock...im probably going to see where it leads too after the connections I disconnected already, it may be worth replacing more of it especially if i cant make a exact replacement hose
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

K4282 wrote:if your correct then I could replace this section with a thicker diameter hose and they have fittings that will work, the fittings they carry wont work with the same diameter hose in stock...im probably going to see where it leads too after the connections I disconnected already, it may be worth replacing more of it especially if i cant make a exact replacement hose
You can take that info to the bank LOL :) .......just think of it this way , what happens when you have that 10 gal water tank in the line, all you are doing by increasing your hose size is making another very small tank, you won't see the difference , your taps are controlling the rate of flow.....Mike
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

I think some people have replaced their systems with PEX. I have not had to replace any lines yet, but I have replaced (or jury-rigged) fittings to make winterizing easier for me. I got what I needed, and compression fittings to fit current lines, from Home Depot.
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

Thanks for the help
Diverted Income
Moderate User

Post by Diverted Income »

I have had good luck getting fittings at Menards, if you have one in your area.
1982 Trojan F-32 w/Merc 230's
1975 Baja V-1800J w/ 502 Ford
http://missriverrat.com
https://www.facebook.com/UMRMriverrat
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

For most plumbing replacement items on my boat I use instant tube fittings from http://www.mcmaster.com/#instant-tube-fittings/=xe6ce2 Just be sure to pay attention to the service temperatures.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!