taking care of teak

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

hooked

taking care of teak

Post by hooked »

What do you recommend to use on teak? Oil vs varnish. Any brand recommendations. Thanks for your input
AwayOnBusine$$
Moderate User

Re: taking care of teak

Post by AwayOnBusine$$ »

What is it you need to do. Interior, exterior swim platform all could use a different treatment.
F32 Fly 1975
hooked

Post by hooked »

Outside railings, bow pulpit, boarding steps.
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

I like to use Cetol on things I don't step on (railings and bow pulpit) but oil the teak I do step on (boarding steps and swim platform). Cetol is very slippery when wet.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

I use Sikkens Cetol Original on all of my teak and mahogany. On interior wood such at doors and trim, I also add the clear coat to this finish. On any wood that gets stepped on or is exposed to the elements, I do not use the clear. My swim platform is also done this way and I have never found an issue with it being slippery. If the wood is prepped correctly, this finish can last years. My platform is going into its 4th year since the last re-finish and still looks great.

As for oil, too much maintenance in my opinion.

Hope this helps,
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Paul wrote:I use Sikkens Cetol Original on all of my teak and mahogany. On interior wood such at doors and trim, I also add the clear coat to this finish. On any wood that gets stepped on or is exposed to the elements, I do not use the clear. My swim platform is also done this way and I have never found an issue with it being slippery. If the wood is prepped correctly, this finish can last years. My platform is going into its 4th year since the last re-finish and still looks great.

As for oil, too much maintenance in my opinion.

Hope this helps,
+ 1
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

defiantly Sikens Cetol, i tried the light originally but prefer the natural (their 3 different shades) on my ladder I added the grit to the clear to prevent slipping, I would never waste my time with oil or a cheap varnish anymore
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

K4282 wrote:defiantly Sikens Cetol, i tried the light originally but prefer the natural (their 3 different shades) on my ladder I added the grit to the clear to prevent slipping, I would never waste my time with oil or a cheap varnish anymore
For anyone not aware, Cetol Gloss can only be applied over cetol, which is the base coat.
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

I'm a teak oil fan - Watco is my brand choice.
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express
Reel Easy
Sporadic User

Post by Reel Easy »

Does anyone have pics of the different shades of cetol? I am going to be redoing my neglected swim platform and would like to see the difference. Thanks in advance
Dustin
78 F-32 Express Hard top twin 360s Abyss
1999 360 Express twin 7.4
Catawba Island, Ohio
Diverted Income
Moderate User

Post by Diverted Income »

Watco oil on swim platform, taffrail and steps.

https://missriverrat-public.sharepoint. ... atform.jpg

Looked pretty bad a couple years ago.
1982 Trojan F-32 w/Merc 230's
1975 Baja V-1800J w/ 502 Ford
http://missriverrat.com
https://www.facebook.com/UMRMriverrat
1967 seavoyager
Moderate User

Post by 1967 seavoyager »

Scrub your teak with comet & a brass gas grill brush. When it's dry coat it with Sikkens Door & Window. It's clear & will bring up the natural color of the wood.
They'll pry a rotten plank from my cold dead fingers before i go "Tupperware". http://www.photobucket.com/restless
seavoyager36@hotmail.com

"Restless"
1967 Trojan 36' Sea Voyager Express
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

ill try and post difference between what I did although I sold the boat and cant take close ups at this time ill show what I had experimented with you may have to zoom in. I used the light which comes out orangy on the pulpit and aft woodwork and the natural on the steps on the ladder. The aft and pulpit i did 4 coats no gloss, the stairs I did 4 coats cetol and 2 or 3 clear, actually maybe i did 4 clear. The steps look amazing. I was unhappy when i read the directions to add the grit, they said shake it on while the clear or cetol is wet and as you can imagine it came out uneven and clumpy, i scuffed it and added some more clear to smooth it out. Mixing it in the clear will take some practice to get a good and effective non skid and believe me you need to add the grit to anything youll be walking on. A friend didnt believe me and did his swim platform and everyone who walks across it slips, its very dangerous ive hurt my toes on two occasions with just a 3 coats of cetol and no clear/ So in conclusion my method is to sand then clean with snappy teak nu, 4 coats cetol natural and a couple coats of clear over that if you would like a deeper shinny look (More on the even for a deeper look) and mix interlux Intergrip Polymeric No-Skid Additive into your final coat of cetol or clear if your going to be walking on it

the last pic i found is a side by cetol natural with no clear on a 30 Penn Yann with my old F32 with the cetol light next to my new trojan with some kind of ugly old dark finish, sorry its so dark of a picture

Last edited by K4282 on Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

just found this great pict my friend posted of how orange the cetol light is, this is 4 year old now no maintenance in between and left uncovered in the winter]

captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

The ladder steps and swim platform are regular Cetol, as are the 'boarding strips'. The speaker box and the box for the VHF are regular Cetol over oak, and the rest of the flybridge wood is Cetol over Teak. The bow pulpit is Cetol Light with Cetol Gloss over top. You don't want to use the Gloss on a swim platform though as it can get slippery when wet.

Here are links to my 'wood finishes' gallery:
Wood Finish examples (part 1)
https://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/view ... f=1&t=3206

Wood Finish examples (part 2)
https://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/view ... =1&t=12738
Last edited by captainmaniac on Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.