help with installing carpet on stairs

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

yorklyn
Active User

help with installing carpet on stairs

Post by yorklyn »

My old carpet was glued to the stair treads and risers but was stapled under the noseing of the stair treads with the small u shaped carpet staples. I know I need exterior grade carpet adhesive but I am having a heck of a time locating a carpet stapler and staples. I really didnt want to use interior house carpet staples (which i cant locate any way) but rather stainless or even better monel staples. i have boxes of monel staples for my regular stapler buti know the small width staples are used so you can get between the carpet fibers so they hide the staples and protect peoples feet.
I'm planning on picking up some exterior grade berber (olifn i believe its called) from home depot since i only have my stairs, aft cabin stringer sides below the seat and the hull sides in the stateroom.
Any suggestions?
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
DoorCountyScott

Re: help with installing carpet on stairs

Post by DoorCountyScott »

We just did our salon with foam backed carpet from Menards and used carpet tape to hold it down (which comes up easy for an oil change as it turns out). Our stairs are wood but think Menards had everything included staples.
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Thanks Guys,
I had never heard of menards ? just looked them up, wow ! couldnt believe the selection they have! of course the closest store is 313 miles from me. cant believe they have foam backed carpet! I looked everywhere for that around here and couldnt find it anywhere.
I was getting ready to order a stapler and decided I did not want to learn how to do anything else on the boat! ive learned enough new trades over the last 7 years but decided to draw the line at "carpet installer"! LOL
found a guy to do the stairs, aft cabin and two pieces on the hull sides in the stateroom for $120. Heres how it turned out.

Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

OH SURE! I spent all of three minute surfing the web for you, and for what? So I could source a carpet stapler and staples for me, of course, and save it under your thread....

Can't tell from the pictures, does any of the carpet have bound edges? And if I'm not in the water by the time you are, I'm going to swim to Delaware to see her first float Todd. Great job pulling it all together. Whatever anyone says about you, they can't say that you have ADHD!! Way to stick with it for sooo stinking long. Having had the pleasure of a personal tour, I can vouch for the craftsmanship. You are an inspiration to us all.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

For $120 that's a great deal, and it looks awesome.
Is the carpet you used a household type berber or something special for marine application

Thanks
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

LMAO Perry! Ironically I do have ADHD! guess the meds are working!!! The carpets not bound but the installer used a "seam sealer" on the cut edges that were exposed.

Barrie, I ended up getting the carpet at lowes. Its a indoor outdoor berber that is made up of 100% olifin fibers which are hydrophobic and do not absorb water. best of all it was only $75 for a 12x12 piece.
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea