86ing the gutter

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

daylategeorge

86ing the gutter

Post by daylategeorge »

Hi Guys,
Has anyone thought about (or actually done it) removing the "gutter" on a F-32? I have a leak in my salon on the port side that I think may be coming from either the screw holes holding the gutter on or the separation in the bridge deck just below it. I was also wondering if anybody has been able to fix that separation and if so how they did it. I have an idea of what I'd like to do but wanted to get some other opinions. Mine is a '78. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, George
1978 F 32 Lilli's Pad
2008 Larson Cabrio 260
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: 86ing the gutter

Post by prowlersfish »

I had the same issue , I removed part of the gutter resealed the joint and reinstalled and rebedded the gutter and screws on my F36 . I also rebedded a the screws holding the fly bridge down . Also there are "scuppers " around the fly bridge if these plug they can holds water and then leak thru the screws . I believe that was my issue .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

I wouldn't remove it. It can be used to direct water to the back of the bridge, I have oval holes in it on the aft corners which work well except in a thunderstorm.. Also when it is not there water will run around the edge and underneath towards the side windows and might even drip inside the salon when they are open (surface tension).
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
daylategeorge

Post by daylategeorge »

Thanks guys. Guess I'll try removing and rebedding the gutter and screws and see if that works. I'll also do the bridge screws and the gap behind the gutter while I'm at it. Wish me luck.
1978 F 32 Lilli's Pad
2008 Larson Cabrio 260