Inverter Question

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Inverter Question

Post by captainmaniac »

I was going to make a comment about the seller's claim about "I designed the system for the fenceless border protection system for Lockheed" but decided to rise above and be more positive.

Ed -- is this boat listed online anywhere (yachtworld, brokers site, craigslist, private site) or you only know if it by word of mouth or paper ads? If there is a link to it, might be helpful to share in case anyone on the forum recognizes the boat and can provide more info on situation or history.
Notniuq21

Post by Notniuq21 »

Wow….
I think I regret posting this e-mail. My intentions were not to get anyone upset or perturbed. I’ve been on this forum almost 4 years now reading a lot of amazing information and advice. Maybe his e-mail was just a tab bit egotistical and arrogant? I really love this boat….it took me a few years to find it. I’m trying to find something positive in this whole scenario. Big D…I appreciate the multitude of amazing questions that I would have never thought of. Capt M…I’m limited with knowing a good surveyor to check this system out. I went on SAMS website and e-mailed a few in the area. Here is the link from E-Bay last year when it was for sale. Tell me what you think.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-TROJAN-INT ... 7675.l2557
The boat is currently in Oriental, NC
I definitely plan on having an intense survey performed, sparing no expense. I would rather get “beaten down” now in the forum …instead of later on out in the water.
I do appreciate all your advice and good information. I hope soon I will be able to say that I’m a Trojan owner.
Ed
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Posting the email was good as it gives insite of what you dealing with . And what to look at . What are your intend uses for the boat like staying on the hook for days or do intend on just using marinas ...
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
jhalb
Moderate User

Post by jhalb »

It's a great looking boat. I hope you can get your concerns answered. It depends how you are going to use it that would make up my mind after a survey.
John
"PELICAN"
1983 10 Meter Express
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

The other side:
Many negative comments made when we have no details of the specific installation... it could in fact negate any concerns. If the owner's description of his skill and experience are correct then it could safely do what he states.
Having read the owner's email it is certainly possible and even likely that his argument is correct. Are the batteries AGM or GEL sealed ones, the low recharge time suggests they may be.
The only thing I would want to clarify is that the starting batteries are not part of the Inverter battery bank no matter what kind of monitoring system is installed.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
Notniuq21

Post by Notniuq21 »

Prowler….my intended use is to fish the Delaware Bay and also I’m located at the mouth of the Maurice River ...so probably fish for Perch with my two boys 8 & 6 if the Bay is a little too rough. I work a lot of hours , so I will probably use it most weekends and couple days during the week. I would probably stay on the hook for 1- 2 days occasionally. That’s why I’m concerned about the genny/inverter situation. I do believe it would “fit” my needs ,even with the inverter.
Jhalb….it is a great looking boat!! that’s why my hopes are high and I really want to buy it. It took me a year of haggling with this gentleman and approx. 3 years to find this particular boat. I believe it’s in great shape. The survey will confirm it though. I do know a lot of people wanted to buy it with low ball offers…or they just couldn’t get financing.
Ready123…I’m also trying to be optimistic about this and just maybe this engineer installed everything correctly? On the bright side….I wouldn’t have to worry about carbon monoxide poison with the genny?
I spoke with the owner again today….he said to let him know when I’m ready for a survey and he will drive the boat for the sea trial. Also, he will drive the boat from NC up to my marina in south jersey.
Thanks,
Ed
gitchisum
Moderate User

Post by gitchisum »

I am sure the boat is nice. From my POV a reliability question needs to be asked. Let's a Assume th t the owner dd everything perfect And all materials are marinized Fast forward a few years
Who repairs any problems thAt develop?

That is why I would walk away. Tough to do once you fall in love with it! So I understand your struggle
88 321 Sedan 270 crusaders
2001 Seadoo Challenger 2000
97 Lowe Roughneck 17TC
1948 Alumacraft K14, Evinrude twin 6hp " Still kickin"
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Notniuq21 wrote:Wow….
I think I regret posting this e-mail. My intentions were not to get anyone upset or perturbed....
I think I speak for everyone here in saying that nobody is upset or perturbed with the email, and you are absolutely doing the right thing by asking for opinions, that's all they are really; food for thought based on our own experiences. I personally did not take the email as being "egotistical and arrogant," I'm really indifferent about what it said, my only concern is that it was done right for everyone's sake on board. I hope it all checks out as a proper install so you can feel comfortable moving forward with the purchase. Keep us posted.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

gitchisum wrote:I am sure the boat is nice. From my POV a reliability question needs to be asked. Let's a Assume th t the owner dd everything perfect And all materials are marinized Fast forward a few years
Who repairs any problems thAt develop?
That is why I would walk away. Tough to do once you fall in love with it! So I understand your struggle
I can't agree with this advice without more information on the installation... I still think that the owner's knowledge could in fact make a system that is good for the boat's usage.
We need more information on the specific's of the equipment before we are in a position to *REALLY* say whether it is good or bad!!
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

ready123 wrote:... I still think that the owner's knowledge could in fact make a system that is good for the boat's usage.
We need more information on the specific's of the equipment before we are in a position to *REALLY* say whether it is good or bad!!
+1
I will throw this out there from my own personal experience with a very similar installation and is one of the reasons I posted earlier; A boat owner proudly showed off his inverter install which he had HIS guys install. He is a sales rep for a solar energy outfit so they deal with inverter installations ALL THE TIME. The problem is they are residential and commercial oriented. I hated picking the installation apart (not really) but aside from a neat install, everything was wrong including a non ignition proof unit, type of wire, circuit protection, etc. you name it. You should have seen the look on his face :shock: The worst part is he aksed me to meet with him and HIS guys later at the boat so I could point all this out for them to correct and they were completely unreceptive to what I was saying. That's when I wished the owner luck and walked away.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Just saw the link CM
I saved it as a favorite. Has some real nice work there. If you back-up to his home page, you can see that he has a lot of articles that look interesting.

And people can't believe that I looked at ELEVEN of the exact same model of boat before I bought one.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
Notniuq21

Post by Notniuq21 »

UPDATE :

I'm scheduled for a Survey/Seatrial next week on July 5th, Sunday. Kinda excited about it....and little nervous too.
Spoke with the surveyor on phone for a bit and he too was concerned about the inverter set-up. He definitely will see if it meets ABYC and NFPA standards with this design. On a side note, the owner said he would drive and deliver it to my port marina. Now, it's down in North Carolina , not too far from New Bern. I live on delaware bay by delaware river.He said he needs 4K for fuel costs. Does this sound right? I believe the distance is about 150 nautical miles?? He would take it up the ICW. I believe the fuel tank is about 240 gallons....and with the price of marina fuel....running twin crusader 454's. Can someone with a little more knowledge give me some better insight here. After all, this guy "thinks" he knows everything about boats...I just wanna make sure he's being legitimate and not trying to squeeze me for more $$.
As usual....I really appreciate all your kind help and opinions.
Thanks,
Ed
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

150 miles @.5 mpg (should do better ) is 300 gal x 3.50 per gal comes to $1050.00 in fuel . However I believe it a lot more then 150 miles , maybe 2 to 3 times that depending if you go up the Chesapeake bay or not . I have not plotted it so he maybe correct or close
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Think you said before that seller told you he would drive during the sea trial. Recommend you take the wheel for at least a little while and get a feel for the controls (steering, throttles, gear shifts, trim tabs), make sure things work they way should and you are comfortable with it (ie survey won't identify sloppy steering and unless mechanical inspection is done, may not uncover throttle or shifter problems or engine or transmission response issues, proper response to trim tabs, etc).

Re cost of delivery, you could counter with a few bucks for his time and assistance, and you will pay for the fuel used. Keeping in mind that the boat will cruise probably around 16-18 knots, you are talking about 6 hours of travel for every 100 miles.

Good luck! Hoping things turn out to be good for you.
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

Regarding the fuel cost, I would offer to reimburse him for the actual fuel cost. Just have him show you the receipts when he delivers the boat and pay him the total. Just out of curiosity, how is he returning home after delivering the boat?
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26