Trying to start my genny....

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

bjanakos
Moderate User

Trying to start my genny....

Post by bjanakos »

I have an MCCK genny on board and rumor has it that it has not run in 10 years.

I have read a few posts on starting, but I cant get her to go. Right now, I would be happy with just knowing the proper starting procedure.

There is a "start" switch in my galley. Nothing happens when I hit that. There is also a start switch on top of the genny and that does nothing as well. Total deadness.

I have not done anything but replace the fuel filter, but at this point it's ignition related. I can verify that there is a good working battery. I will test the starter relay on my next trip. But any tips or tricks or common issues to check are welcome.
yorklyn
Active User

Re: Trying to start my genny....

Post by yorklyn »

I may still have a copy of the owners manual from my 1987 mcck. Ill send you a PM if I can dig it up.
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

it has not been run in 10 years? wow........ i bet the insides are a mess if it hasn't been run in that long. anyway, when you look at the genset, there are 3 fuses on the control box. you might try there. if you're not even getting anything when you attempt to start it, check the battery charge. keep us posted. stil....10 years?!! i run mine once a week for around 45 minutes at a 60% load just to keep things moving and the brushes clean. gensets are designed to run. not sit in the bilge like ballast.
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

I have an owners manual, but there is really no trouble-shooting guide. I just want to see if there are any common points of failure or if this has been disconnected somehow.

Yes Aaron. 10 years. Don't blame the messenger....
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Don't matter how long most anything can be made to run. ++ on fuses when I cleaned carby and put a new choke heater in I had it wired as a direct short an would pop fuse. Wired correctly new fuse and bang engine starter worked perfect, both locations, still did not start pretty sure fuel is my problem.

I would definitely pull carby and clean thoroughly. Careful with gaskets if It is a spec H carby kits are hard to get.

Starting procedure push switch engine starts and stabilizes at 1800 rpm or should. I have a manual in pdf and could send you if you give me your email.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

When you do get it going, one other thing to keep in mind. Have the main power selector switch (Shore Power / Off / Generator) set to Shore or Off when you start the generator, then switch it to Generator once the genny is running and stabilized. Reverse for turning off (switch from Generator to something else, then turn the genny off). You should protect your AC appliances from being zapped with dirty power while the genny is starting or shutting down.
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

Can you turn it over by hand with spark plugs removed?
https://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/man ... 7-0121.pdf
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

+1 on Ready's recommendation. She may be seized. When you say nothing happens, do you mean that the starter doesn't engage either? If not and you can spin by hand, hook up a remote starter switch, that will at least isolate the starter from the rest of the system. If it turns over with the switch, you'll then know to look at the start circuit
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

Right, totally dead. I don't even hear the relay click.

I'm going to try and jump the relay on my next visit, or just replace it. Check all the fuses etc. They may have been pulled.
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

having been idle 10 yrs, the impeller and maybe bearings and seal in the raw water pump will most likely need renewing. If you have a bearing issue then I have posted here a 50% less expensive way to renew the bearing. They usually cost over $400 depending on the model.

http://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/viewt ... ing#p79790
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

Already have that post bookmarked Larry ;)