Bow pulpits

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

gordd
Sporadic User

Bow pulpits

Post by gordd »

Hello again everyone . On my F25 I have metal holder for anchor lines and would like to change set up . perhaps mahogany or teak pulpit that extends cpl feet out and maybe a windlass . I have access to one for 100 $ so may take him up on offer. To do pulpit properly how far on deck should one go like lets say foot or so towards hatch with wood support from bottom deck or is that over kill ? perhaps people can share pictures from top and bottom of their installations and ideas ?
bow pulpit.jpg
bow pulpit.jpg (46.99 KiB) Viewed 6077 times
My idea is to make opening in pulpit and slide that metal holder into it
gettaway
Active User

Re: Bow pulpits

Post by gettaway »

I guess besides structural considerations, how much more a month in slip fees are you willing to pay for the extra length on the boat?
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
gordd
Sporadic User

Post by gordd »

Well in my area would have to get bigger slip then 25 as it is, maybe up to 30 which is 2-3 hundred extra. But pulpit would be just cpl feet out enough nothing major
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

I guess my pulpit is roughly 50/50 (or maybe 60/40) in terms of over the deck vs over water. See pics in the attached link. For mounting you should be thru-bolted and have some kind of backing plate below (for when someone stands on the very front of the pulpit when you are bounding through waves ... the force on fasteners will be pretty significant). It's a bit hard to see in the pictures, but there is a wooden pad between the pulpit and toe rail, and the forward fasteners go through that. At the aft end there is another (thicker) pad and two bolts through the pulpit/pad and into the rope locker below. This leaves a gap of >1" between the pulpit and deck surface for much of it's 'over the deck' length, so water can flow freely under it and out the forward bow scupper.

Here are links to my 'wood finishes' gallery:
Wood Finish examples (part 1)
https://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/view ... f=1&t=3206

Wood Finish examples (part 2)
https://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/view ... =1&t=12738
Last edited by captainmaniac on Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gordd
Sporadic User

Post by gordd »

Looks great Captainmaniac . yes wondered about backing plate underneath but definitely something along the lines you have yours done.
gitchisum
Moderate User

Post by gitchisum »

+1 for the Advice of CM. I redid my pulpit this winter and used Starboard for the gap fill rather than wood
88 321 Sedan 270 crusaders
2001 Seadoo Challenger 2000
97 Lowe Roughneck 17TC
1948 Alumacraft K14, Evinrude twin 6hp " Still kickin"
comodave
Moderate User

Post by comodave »

My pulpit is 5' long with about 3' on the deck. It is through bolted with backing plates. The windlass has 4 studs through the deck which have backing plates. There is a total of 8 bolts/studs holding the pulpit. When you drill through the deck, make sure you over drill the holes larger and reef out the coring material. Then fill the holes with thickened epoxy and drill the holes to the proper size. When I installed my pulpit, I drilled only the top layer of the fiberglass deck and coring leaving the bottom layer of fiberglass intact until after the epoxy was put into the holes so the epoxy will fill the holes and not run out the bottom. This is a known problem area as far as rotting coring. My F32 has soft core around the anchor hawse pipe and anchor chocks. After repairing the deck, I really did not want it to have any more problems.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (144.96 KiB) Viewed 6031 times
Trojan has been sold
1987 President 41 DC 225 Lehmans
Au Gres, Michigan
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Oooo, Ooooo, Ooooo.... My through bolted / backing plates / spacers / 50/50 or 60/40 over deck vs over water post has 2 'Yes's so far!!! One more 'Yes' and I move on to the next round on "America's Got Talent"!!

Sorry... having a rough week and need to celebrate any victories I may have....

Moderator - feel free to delete post...
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Mine is through bolted with backing plates . I have 2 cleats on mine ,so the 8 cleat bolts are through bolted and 2 more bolts closer to the bow . I would guess 1/3 on deck with 2/3s sticking over the water .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
gordd
Sporadic User

Post by gordd »

Thank you all I may attack it this weekend see how it comes out. windlass have though not sure yet as it doesn't support chain just rope . Will have to take a closer look at it before buying in . would have to be short chain set up if use that