Upper Rudder Support Replacement

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Christian
Sporadic User

Re: Upper Rudder Support Replacement

Post by Christian »

Hi Guys!

I has been a while since I last posted. Work and life got in the way. I did go to the boat a few times and basically relaxed and took some measurements for the repair. I will be going there this weekend and start on the process. I have a few pictures coming. I basically decided to line the wood stringers with 3/4" thick aluminum plates 4 feet long for each of the stringers. It should be plenty strong. The difficulty is the access. As mentioned before, the engines are quite close to that area. Furthermore, I decided to do the repair with the engines in place. There was no sense in removing them, fixing the stringers, replacing the engines and realigning them before being sure that the engines are working properly. My repairs, although a stop gap measure should last a good 20+ years... If I need to remove the engines in the future, I will fix the stringers "properly".

Pictures to come.

I hope you all had a fantastic boating season!

Cheers,

Christian
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

Hey Christian, glad you have a plan.
Looks like it will be a bit of a job regardless of what you do, and likely stronger than original if you do the aluminum plate idea.
If I felt it necessary to go that route, I would "laminate" the plates with bolts every 12-16" to the outside of each stringer x4 and put as large a washer or plate as possible on the inside (under the engine) to sandwich it together.
Honestly I would be more concerned with the Vdrive area as it looks like it would have all or most of the load on it from the props and shafts.
But I'm no engineer or boat expert so there's that.

Good luck with it!
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
Paul - SW Ontario
Moderate User

Post by Paul - SW Ontario »

1973 Trojan F25.5 - SW, ON.
2012 Triple Axle trailer
1978 C&C Mega 30' Sailboat
2014 Triple Axle trailer
2016 Highfield CL290 BL RIB
2017 20hp Suzuki 4 stroke
Paul - SW Ontario
Moderate User

Post by Paul - SW Ontario »

1973 Trojan F25.5 - SW, ON.
2012 Triple Axle trailer
1978 C&C Mega 30' Sailboat
2014 Triple Axle trailer
2016 Highfield CL290 BL RIB
2017 20hp Suzuki 4 stroke
Christian
Sporadic User

Post by Christian »

Hi Paul! Nice setup! Since I don't want to remove the stringers and engines at this time, I will have to do a less elegant fix for now.
Barrie, your ideas is what I had in mind...

As promised here is the progress for today.
Last week, I got some aluminum plates at Metal Supermarket in Ottawa. about 7" high by 3/4" thick by 4 feet long. Times 4 for both sides of the boat. I used a non ferrous circular saw blade to "rip" the material to size. Since the access is limited, I had to cut my 4 foot lengths to 2 feet long and make a backing plate the affix both lengths together once in place. Here is a dry fit to check the bolt pattern before going in.
IMGP2034 test fit1.jpg
IMGP2034 test fit1.jpg (94.12 KiB) Viewed 6798 times
IMGP2035 test fit2.jpg
IMGP2035 test fit2.jpg (91.31 KiB) Viewed 6798 times
Christian
Sporadic User

Post by Christian »

So, Step 1, empty the bilge and remove the carpet in the aft cabin...
IMGP2031 remove carpet.jpg
IMGP2031 remove carpet.jpg (108.37 KiB) Viewed 6798 times
then, step 2, remove the floor!
IMGP2032 remove floor.jpg
IMGP2032 remove floor.jpg (116.12 KiB) Viewed 6798 times
Christian
Sporadic User

Post by Christian »

Step 3, shimmy the first piece in place.
IMGP2036 dryfit1.jpg
IMGP2036 dryfit1.jpg (111.26 KiB) Viewed 6798 times
Step 4, Shimmy the second piece in place
IMGP2039dryfit3.jpg
IMGP2039dryfit3.jpg (107.45 KiB) Viewed 6798 times
IMGP2042dryfit4.jpg
IMGP2042dryfit4.jpg (108.93 KiB) Viewed 6798 times
Christian
Sporadic User

Post by Christian »

Once all was bolted and torqued properly, I clamped the assembly in place ready to drill the stringers and plates.
IMGP2047ready to punch.jpg
IMGP2047ready to punch.jpg (121.29 KiB) Viewed 6798 times
I then drilled the stringers with the plates in place, removed everything and drilled the aluminum plates separately and replaced everything back in their final resting place ready to bolt. I have not bolted it in place as I forgot to measure the thickness of the final assembly last time I was at the boat... :cry:
Oh well. I'll have to place another order from Mc Master Carr. Shipping is fast and cheap...
Christian
Sporadic User

Post by Christian »

I then started work on the second side.
IMGP2056second side.jpg
IMGP2056second side.jpg (113.74 KiB) Viewed 6798 times
I then hit a problem that I will have to deal with tomorrow. The second plate interferes with the fuel line on the port engine... :shock:
It is taking shape... I have the week off to work on this. Hopefully I will get her done.
Talk to you guys tomorrow.

Cheers,

Christian
Christian
Sporadic User

Post by Christian »

Oh! Before anyone asks. I calculated the 3/4" thick aluminum plate strength versus white oak and found that the plates are about 5% stronger than the 2" white oak stringers... Therefore even if the stringers are completely gone, I am still better off than the original design... 8)

Christian
Bubbabuda
Sporadic User

Post by Bubbabuda »

I replaced both rudder supports, part of the bulkhead under sliding saloon doors, complete back deck, and most of saloon sub floor. Pics are in my photobucket. Yes the wood is white oak.
Christian
Sporadic User

Post by Christian »

OK! I am back at the boat. Sunday, I realized that some aluminum plates did not fit. I had not counted on some unforeseen obstructions. I re-measured and modified the plates. Ordered bolts, flat washers (oversized fender type at 1-1/2 inch in diameter), lock washers and nuts to affix the plates to the stringers. the plate on the left side, in the picture below, is loosely fitted ready to bolt permanently and torqued. I just need to cut the bolts down a bit to make a tidy install. the plate on the right is in place and needs to be drilled to receive the bolts. Hopefully, all the plates will fit fine this time around... sorry for the picture quality. I thought I had everything for the day. Obviously, I forgot the camera! So, I used the phone. :?
IMG_20150930_181216s.jpg
IMG_20150930_181216s.jpg (90.67 KiB) Viewed 6779 times
Access is a bitch as most of the bolts are located under the engines and all the grounding wires are run inboard of the stringers... :shock: Oh well, that is part of the fun :(
I should be able to complete the work tomorrow if I survive the night! It is supposed to be 3 deg. C tonight. I will let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Cheers,

Christian
Christian
Sporadic User

Post by Christian »

Hi Guys,

I thought I would report on the last step of the rudder support replacement. I am happy to say that the job is complete for the most part. I was able to cut the white oak to size, cut a hole for the bearing, bolt it in place and paint them with bilge paint. Again installing was difficult due to the limited access...
IMGP2084small.jpg
IMGP2084small.jpg (111.24 KiB) Viewed 6756 times
Some of you may notice that the spring pin is not completely in :shock: . I only had a hammer to push it in and feared that I would bend it out of shape or break it. I will need a "C" clamp to press it in properly. All I need to do now is properly attach and support the grounding wires that I removed for access.

Hopefully this thread will be helpful to someone in the same predicament.

Cheers guys.

Christian
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Great Job!
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »