Maxwell 500 windlass issue

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

rickalan35
Moderate User

Maxwell 500 windlass issue

Post by rickalan35 »

My wife and I spent a relaxing afternoon yesterday, anchored in Sherwood Bay on Big Rideau Lake. So far so good.

But when we decided to pull the anchor and head for home, we ran into some issues with the Maxwell windlass.

No sure what I did wrong during the pull up, but suddenly the windlass stopped and then began free falling chain like mad. It stopped after about 5 seconds, but they were mighty long seconds as I contemplated being anchored there for life.

I have foot pads on my 1994 Trojan 370 express and after the chain finally stopped feeding out, I pressed my foot on the "In" pedal and it began recovering the chain once more... for about only two seconds before unfortunately slipping and rapidly running even more chain out.

This time I manually hauled in about ten feet of chain and wrapped it around a near-by cleat. Then I kneeled down to see what I could do with the windlass.

I noticed that a round part inside of the top of the windlass felt loose. It could be turned either counter-clockwise/or clockwise until tight (about a half a turn in either direction) I turned it counter-clockwise by placing the flat of my palm down on it and turned it as far as it would go and the pressed the "In" pedal and found that the chain immediately began free falling out again.

Then I cranked the round part as far to the right (clock-wise) as I could and pressed the "In" pad and the chain began coming back in again, but only for short bursts before seemingly slipping and losing whatever it had taken in.

At this point, my wife and I manually hauled the remainder of the chain onto the deck. Then I manually fed the chain down into the chain locker and snubbed off the anchor.

Today, while safely berthed in our Marina, I released the snub line and then carefully pressed the foot pad and the windless successfully tightened the anchor up with no prolem and then I re-snubed it.

I have the 1994 Maxwell Owners Manual but it's quite vague (imo) on just exactly how the spinner on top of this windlass should be adjusted, of at all. It does mention a "lever" for use in adjustment and that isn't something that came with the boat.

Is anyone here using this model windlass?

I'm nervous about heading off again until I get this figured out. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Rick
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
ready123
Ultimate User

Re: Maxwell 500 windlass issue

Post by ready123 »

Most windlasses have an adjustment ontop, clockwise to tighten the gypsy on chain/rode and counter-clock to loosen/freewheel.
Sounds like yours has worked loose over time and hence the windlass slips. Mine uses a square key on lever arm to tighten/loosen. Look at yours and see what it looks like then make a tool to fit it.
I think you just need to tighten it more clockwise.
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/maxwell-m ... --10616688
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

There may be a couple of things wrong but it may simply be a matter of tightening the clutch. You will need the crank handle for the windlass to do this and it's something you should have on board anyway in case this happens again as it makes it much easier to retrieve the rode if something goes wrong in the future. In the center of the gypsy, you will see a screw. Loosen the screw and insert the handle in the center socket of the gypsy. Tighten clockwise like you did with your hand then retighten the screw. If this does not solve the problem and the gypsy is actually working/turning, you may have a worn or broken stripper or pressure arm. The manual shows how to replace the pressure arm and once you're in there, you'll also see the stripper which is a very common replacement/maintenance item. The biggest issue now is that these units are discontinued so if you find them, buy a couple of each to have as spares. I know they are still available. Any marina should still be able to order the parts from a Maxwell dealer such as Transat Marine in Barrie.
Here is a link to the manual which has a parts breakdown. Click on "Freedom" under "Obsolete Models";
http://www.maxwellmarine.com/support_manuals.php
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Could be worse.

Imagine having to say "Hey, you scratched my anchor"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTw5pk6dcX0

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Hi Big D, thanks for the info.

This Maxwell VWC 500 unit is flat on top and I assume that is the particular surface you refer to as the "gypsy."

The lever for my unit is a flat bar that apparently inserts into the side of the windlass, rather than into the top of the windlass.

In the manual that I received with the boat, the "tightening" instructions don't actually mention loosening a screw and instead only indicate that the "lever" should be inserted into the side of the gypsy (into the clutch nut) in order to rotate the gypsy clockwise.

But in the parts/assembly diagram, a screw (like you mentioned) is indeed visible on the top if the "Maxwell" cap were to be popped off.

So first problems first, I don't have a lever. I'll have to obtain one.

The windlass worked fine the only other time I have used it.

Unfortunately, during the second usage, I reversed directions a couple of time with the foot pads, in order to take weeds off the chain. I have now read in the manual that reversing directions without pausing is a bad idea.

I am going to try and locate a "lever." I'll try Ebay and also phone Transat Marine tomorrow.

Thanks for the feed back, Big Jim and Ready 123. Appreciated.
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Thought you had the Freedom 500. The same principle still applies. Remove the center cap and you'll see a screw under it. Loosen the screw, insert the clutch lever in a slot on the side of the clutch nut and tighten clockwise then retighten the screw. There should be a link in the same page of the link I posted above.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year