Thinking Out Loud

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Paul
Active User

Thinking Out Loud

Post by Paul »

Does any one know of any F-32 Express or F-36 Express (preferable but not sure if they were available in "Express" version) boats for sale in the southern Ontario area? I may have one more big project left in me.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
Reel Easy
Sporadic User

Re: Thinking Out Loud

Post by Reel Easy »

Are you only looking for a express? If not there is a pretty decent looking F-32 sedan fly in Marblehead Ohio. I think they were asking $14000. Twin 318s
Dustin
78 F-32 Express Hard top twin 360s Abyss
1999 360 Express twin 7.4
Catawba Island, Ohio
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

There is one listed by Bridge Yachts (out of Port Dover (Lake Erie)) - F32 flybridge express. They say the boat is in Long Point. Has been listed for several years now (3-4 at least) so may be able to be a bit more aggressive in negotiations.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... 75589&url=

OR, knowing your need for projects, you could by my F32 Sedan for twice the price, rip out the salon doors, enclose the lower cabin, etc... Come on.... you know you wanna do it! You love a challenge!

Hey - I just a a new bimini, bridge tonneau, and cockpit carpet made!
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

Paul wrote:Does any one know of any F-32 Express or F-36 Express (preferable but not sure if they were available in "Express" version) boats for sale in the southern Ontario area? I may have one more big project left in me.
Heh Paul.....are you looking for a boat with the flybridge or just the hard top??..real fixer upper??.....Mike
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

Check in the lower great lakes area. i.e. Chicago. There are at least a half a dozen around here for sale.
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

Thanks for the replies gents. My thoughts on this potential project would be an express with only the hard top, no flybridge. I can always remove the bridge. Basically the same setup that I have now in the F-26 only a little bigger and I would like the cockpit floor to be fiberglass as my current boat is. It would have to be in generally good condition however a repower or a partial stringer repair doesn't scare me. I could then update, upgrade and customize it to suit my needs as i've done to my 26. Not interested in a complete deck core replacement though.

Captain Maniac, the boat in port dover has 125 HP Chryslers, would those be inline 6 engines?

For now, I'm on my way down to my boat to give it some more thought. :wink:
Paul
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Paul wrote:Captain Maniac, the boat in port dover has 125 HP Chryslers, would those be inline 6 engines?
I think that has to be an error or typo on the part of the listing agent. Based on original Trojan manual for my '79 (and since they didn't really change the formula much), F32 Express was available with twin 225HP or twin 250HP Chryslers (likely 318's vs 360's). I don't think this boat would get on plane with twin 125 hp engines. The pictures show it on plane... so unless the pictures are old and someone re-powered and neutered it with in line 6's, it should have twin 318's or 360's. They say it can cruise at 18 and max out at 25, so definitely not 250 total HP.

Looking closer at the pictures I am also a bit confused - the side Trojan emblems on the superstructure are late 70's vintage (like my 79 has); in '74 I think they were still using this http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... kgodHQYGWQ, but the vents appear to be more early 70's.... Details say 'Teak cockpit', which does suggest older (74) boat. So looks like someone tried to upgrade the 'look' with logo/decals, definitely new swim platform, windlass, dinette table/galley countertop, new fabrics I think, and head fixtures... hopefully structure and mechanical's were also looked after. It's been on the market for a loooooonnnnnnggggg time, so they may take $15K OR less for it now (winter storage is coming again soon).

My other suggestion still still stands... If you don't want the fly bridge, you can still buy mine and just think of how much money you could sell the bridge and controls, and NEW Tonneau, Bimini, and Bimini frame for! It will help you finance your renovation project! :)
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

If you are considering an EXPRESS style.........

You might want to at least take a look at the popular 10 meter express.

www.trojanboat.com

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

RWS wrote:If you are considering an EXPRESS style.........

You might want to at least take a look at the popular 10 meter express.

http://www.trojanboat.com

RWS
I second RWS...There are a lot of Awesome 10 Meters in need of some TLC.
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

I like the meter boats, a friend of mine recently purchased a 10 meter and I'm impressed with the wide beam. For me though, I'm hooked on the styling of F- series boats. They can be a little quirky in a following sea however I like the way they handle the water when things get a little nautical out on the lake. I don't like the amount of roll that is experienced up on the bridge though and my wife doesn't like to be up on the bridge of anything smaller than a 42 which is why I,m choosing the no fly-bridge rout.

I'll be looking around for a while before I make a decision I'm sure. I'm guessing that I won't be able to get any where near what I've got into my 26 back out of it so I'm thinking so I'm thinking that it will get stripped of everything that can be transferred to a new project.
Paul
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

Paul wrote:I like the meter boats, a friend of mine recently purchased a 10 meter and I'm impressed with the wide beam. For me though, I'm hooked on the styling of F- series boats. They can be a little quirky in a following sea however I like the way they handle the water when things get a little nautical out on the lake. I don't like the amount of roll that is experienced up on the bridge though and my wife doesn't like to be up on the bridge of anything smaller than a 42 which is why I,m choosing the no fly-bridge rout.

I'll be looking around for a while before I make a decision I'm sure. I'm guessing that I won't be able to get any where near what I've got into my 26 back out of it so I'm thinking so I'm thinking that it will get stripped of everything that can be transferred to a new project.
I'd recommend having a conversation with your friend and choosing a rough day to take the 10 Meter out. I think the ride will be its eventual sale, especially if you like limited rolling...Just saying.
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

You can take the bridge off my F32.... it's for sale see kijiji Toronto GTA.
I had new decks put in it in 2006.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

I can put you in touch with a 32 express hard top. It wont be much of a project as it's been pretty well kept up. PM me if interested.

With that being said, if your talking about handling any kind of seas, the International will out perform an F on any day.
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

Done thinking about it. (for now anyway) I was surprised how quickly it happened however our eyes shifted away from Trojans and we started looking at trawlers from 35 to 40 ft. I was also surprised how many brands of these boats are outfitted using hulls that are manufactured overseas. Some of them powered by single diesels and some with twins, most of which were Lehman diesels. I sure liked the look of some of these engine rooms with the single engine and easy access to it all of the way around. One thing I didn't like and was surprised to see on a long range cruiser is that many of these boats did not have generators. Also, when I first looked at the teak decks on these boats I thought that with a little work these decks could look beautiful. Then I found that many of these boats have serious deck core rotting issues due to all of this beautiful teak being screwed into it without the screws being properly sealed.

I could go on about the thing we saw that we liked and disliked however we did make a decision on what we wanted to do about the boat. We decided to pull the trigger on a few new projects on our F-26 and we'll see what happen a few years down the river.
Paul
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

We originally looked at trawlers in that same range, but pulled the trigger on a Trojan. The bottom line was the trawlers were more fuel efficient, but did not have as good use of space and cost at least twice as much for about the same boat. We figured we would be happier with the F36 layout and could buy a whole lot of gas for the difference in price. And being made in the USA is priceless!
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's