12 Meter International - Diesel Emergency Shut Off

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

tcollins2
2024 Forum Support
2024 Forum Support

12 Meter International - Diesel Emergency Shut Off

Post by tcollins2 »

I recently purchased the boat and one of the items that the surveyor said was missing was an emergency shut off handle at or near the helm. There are emergency air flapper valves that you can click on the engine that will stop the air from getting to the detroits and the motor will shut off. My boat was gas and it was converted to diesel so it doesn't have this emergency handle. Does anyone have any pictures of where this emergency handle would go and how I would rig these cables to the motor. Do all diesel motors have this set up? Thanks!
1990 Trojan 12M International Express Detroit Diesels 6-71T's, 425HP
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: 12 Meter International - Diesel Emergency Shut Off

Post by prowlersfish »

You can put them any where you can get to them .Most Detroits have them . Most other diesels do not . Have you looked at the Engines to see if there is a place to hook up a cable ? I have seen on boat with Electric Emergency shut down ( Post 671 485 TIB ) but most I have seen were cable .

If I remember I will try and get to a picture of the cable set up on the engine this weekend
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
tcollins2
2024 Forum Support
2024 Forum Support

Post by tcollins2 »

Yes there are some orphaned clips that are still there where I would guess the cables go
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Good I did not get to look as the boat was gone for the weekend
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
tcollins2
2024 Forum Support
2024 Forum Support

Post by tcollins2 »

Anyone know of a part number(s) to get these emergency shut off cables? From what I'm reading 2-stroke DD's can "run away" by using their own oil and the only way to shut them off is by choking out the air.
I found some pictures of Trojan diesels that have these emergency pull stops by the helm.
I would think that I could just open the engine room and reach down with a gaff and pull the lever that chokes out the motor but my insurance company is insisting that I install the cables and pull knobs at the helm according to ABYC standars....what ever those are.
I don't have any idea what type of cable to use or how to route them up to the helm.
Any help is appreciated.
Tom
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Try contacting Beacon marine and see if Bob can help , if he can't try a Detroit dealer you can get a good idea on length buy looking at your throttle cable numbers and add a foot or 2 as needed .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Try contacting Beacon marine and see if Bob can help , if he can't try a Detroit dealer you can get a good idea on length buy looking at your throttle cable numbers and add a foot or 2 as needed .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
tcollins2
2024 Forum Support
2024 Forum Support

Post by tcollins2 »

Beacon sent me all the parts probably two months ago and since tropical storm Hermine kept every one in marinas, so I decided to install them this weekend. The boat was conversion from gas to diesel so there was an aluminum gas fume safety plaque on the dash where one of the switches was supposed to go. I put both switches next to each other since the previous owner put a 12-volt cigarette lighter where the starboard pull knob was to go. Not a bad install, 3 hours, but the key was to remove the microwave from inside to snake the cables.
Post install I wanted to try them out since they were working as designed with the motors off. I could see the air damper levers pop and I could easily reset them. Idling at 600 at the dock, I pulled the knobs to see if they would actually stop the motors, the motors never actually shut off, I'm sure the air damper caused the air starvation and why the engine was struggling to keep going for about 25 seconds. I intervened and turned off the motors by shutting off fuel flow the normal way.
Does anyone have any experience with actually using these? I'm glad they are installed now but I was expecting the motors to actually stop. I can assume one would use these during a run away situation and cutting off about 90% of the air would go a long way to reducing the RPM.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Make sure they are getting full travel and nothing is bent . Any air leaks between the shut off and the block can cause a issue Engine could even suck air from the crank case with weak lower rings I would thing . Remember these are EMERGENCY shut offs and should be only used in a emergency ( like a run away ) its not good on the engine . learn to shut down your engine by pulling the stop solenoid on the engine in case you have a electrical issue .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
tcollins2
2024 Forum Support
2024 Forum Support

Post by tcollins2 »

Pics
Attachments
Shutoff1.jpg
Shutoff1.jpg (88.85 KiB) Viewed 5889 times
Shutoff2.jpg
Shutoff2.jpg (88 KiB) Viewed 5889 times
gdcardoza

Post by gdcardoza »

Nice clean install!

Where are your shut off buttons for the engines?
Graham D. Cardoza
President
Overboard Marine Services Ltd
tcollins2
2024 Forum Support
2024 Forum Support

Post by tcollins2 »

In the top photo you can see the port shut off button underneath the starboard emergency shut off knob.