PEEE UUU

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Paul
Active User

Re: PEEE UUU

Post by Paul »

jhalb wrote:+ 1 on vent filter. Mine came from Canada and can be refilled so you don't need a new one every couple of years. Easy to install.
+2 on the vent filter. Had the same experience as you, people running for shelter after I flushed the toilet. Added a filter to the vent line and just like that the problem was gone.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/sealand-- ... P000447144
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
Scorpion07

Post by Scorpion07 »

I did a lot of researching on this issue because mine was embarrassing me with guests and neighbors.
I took the more air AND vent filter approach with excellent results.
First off I ditched the 5/8" original vent line and went with 1" sealand hose, 1" fittings, and a higher placed 1" through hull (plastic) to get the filter higher to keep the goo from sloshing into the filter.
Then I made my own filter out of PVC with replaceable activated charcoal. Stink is a thing of the past now. I've even made them for two of my neighbors with equally great results on different type systems.
The filter build is simple and straight forward. Best of all it's cheap.
If anyone is interested I can give a step by step.
Reel Easy
Sporadic User

Post by Reel Easy »

I'm interested.
Dustin
78 F-32 Express Hard top twin 360s Abyss
1999 360 Express twin 7.4
Catawba Island, Ohio
Scorpion07

Post by Scorpion07 »

Reel easy, I will get back to this on Monday. I'm going away on a bike trip and won't have access till then.
I probably should have kept quiet till then to begin with.
Jimmy
Sporadic User

Post by Jimmy »

Im interested as well. Boat is going to be plucked out in about a month anyway, so a good time to address it. Really appreciate the great info. I wasn't really buying into the weekly pumping route.....
1988 Trojan 11 Meter Express

My wife made me do it... Really.....
10meterman

Post by 10meterman »

I pump my 1990 10meter every other week ,always put treatment in the holding tank,and about two cups of bleach when filling fresh water tank(we don't drink it )
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/survival- ... ing-water/

Above URL has ratios for using bleach at a safe level for drinking water. I remember going to a YMCA camp that used bleach in its drinking water so looked it up.

Not sure I would want to drink out of boat tank water anyway but the info costs nothing and worth the same to some probably. :)
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

If you put bleach in your water tanks, please look at the concentration of the bleach you are using. Bottles bought at the store seem to range from 3% to 8.25%, though there are certainly others outside this range.

The website Larry linked to has a chart at the top of the page for 6% bleach, which is hard to find around where I live. 8.25% is much more common, and you would use less of that. The discount stores also sell low concentration bleach as "bargain" brands without marking the concentration on the bottle. You have to look at the MSDS to find out what you really have.

Having a swimming pool that we chlorinate through bottled bleach has made me a connoisseur! ;-)
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
rbcool
Active User

Post by rbcool »

Holding tank vent filter is absolutely the way to go!
The $80 cartridge lasts me 2 seasons and zero need for harmful chemicals.
I learned this valuable lesson many years ago when my (boat farts...lol) caused my sailboat neighbor to start a campaign to have me tossed out of the marina :roll:

RB 8)
When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.
Ronald Reagan
1987 F36 Tri-Cabin
Twin 270 Crusaders
"Special K"
Upper Bay, Chesapeake Bay

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/ff424/rbcool/
Jimmy
Sporadic User

Post by Jimmy »

Thanks for the info, i think I will go with the filter. Seems the most logical. That is on the to do list for spring, i have it in heated storage, and maybe will get this done while on the hard. Are there instructions for this?

WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

The definitive guide to getting rid of boat odors: http://www.amazon.com/Get-Boat-Odors-Pe ... 1892399156
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
jhalb
Moderate User

Post by jhalb »

Check out bigorangefilter.com. Refillable and easy to install.
John
"PELICAN"
1983 10 Meter Express
Jimmy
Sporadic User

Post by Jimmy »

Big orangs looks like the ticket. Gonna first see if the boat has anything there at all. If not, that looks like the best, fastest, and easiest to do. Thanks for the lead!

larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

you know that bioorange design looks interesting, bet one could reproduce for individual use with PVC and some ingenuity and of course activated carbon? Any thoughts as I have two heads each has a 9 gal holding base. Both are separately pumped to a 40 gallon holding tank as necessary. That means you have three tanks, each toilet has a vent and the big holding tank has a vent to each side of craft. would I need four filter in that case, IMO I would?
Last edited by larryeddington on Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
jhalb
Moderate User

Post by jhalb »

A lot of people make their own and are very happy with the results. If you need three I would go that way.
John
"PELICAN"
1983 10 Meter Express