PEEE UUU

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: PEEE UUU

Post by larryeddington »

what is the best place to get the activated charcoal and best size also?
Last edited by larryeddington on Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
Scorpion07

Post by Scorpion07 »

Sorry guys, I was supposed to give directions on this a while ago.
First off, if you're the least bit handy with PVC I wouldn't hesitate to make your own. It's cheap and easy. Best part is you can customize to your own needs.
As far as where to get activated charcoal, here in Michigan its available cheap at Meier. Im sure Walmart also has it. It's used in fish aquariums so fish stores will also sell it.
Here's a shot of my setup.

Jimmy
Sporadic User

Post by Jimmy »

Scorpion, that looks pretty dang simple..... I assume the longer the pvc tube the longer it may last? More charcoal, more time, it looks like you have a simple screw cap to refill. Did you size it accordingly to allow for reverse flow during pump out? Is there a screen or something to hold the charcoal in place? I suppose a nylon will work to hold it in place as long as your wife never finds out. How about a simple sketch? Or is it just the charcoal in the tube with vent hoses connected? If so, Sorry big orange.......
1988 Trojan 11 Meter Express

My wife made me do it... Really.....
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

I am thinking making something with a 4 inch pvc that sets verticle for each side vent of my blackwater tank and horizontal for each of the vents for the toilet holding tanks. similar to the big orange filter. Got do some thinking on this one but should be simple.
Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink
Scorpion07

Post by Scorpion07 »

First off, I just used a course scotchbrite pad at each end.
Second, 4" is huge. My first version was that size. Coffee can like. No need. I settled on 3" but I think 2" would also be fine.
My thinking with sizing, was that the less restrictive, the better it would be to reduce pressure. In and out, and allow more air into the tank to reduce the anaerobic bacteria build-up. Filtering longevity was secondary, although mandatory. I also changed all relative vent hoses to 1" ID. Including the thru hull. AND made sure the horizontal sections of the hose were as high as they could possibly get from the tank, in an effort to reduce sloshing into the filter and ruining it.
Jimmy
Sporadic User

Post by Jimmy »

Almost too good to be true:). I'm not sure of my hose Dia. and if too small, they will be upsized. I have no doubt the tank is not breathing.(along with everyone on the deck during a flush) Thanks for the great info. Being a fellow Mitten Man, Meijer will be the source. Never imagined I would be this excited to work on a 'septic system'. And better yet, once again affirm to my wife "I can build that". And, I fixed it!

larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

http://www.buyactivatedcharcoal.com/pro ... /8x16_mesh

above url another place to get activated charcoal in any size.
Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink
rvrrunner

Post by rvrrunner »

use panty hose to hold the charcoal will allow vapors thru and keeps things neat.
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Vacuum Break Valve for top of tank.

http://www.aimsfasteners.com/plastic_tank_valves.html

I am going to install a vacuum breaker like one of these (vacuum only) pressure will go out vents. The vents will allow vacuum or pressure to vent but when discharging the black water at the dock that have aggressive vacuum the tank could collapse if the vents are either not larger enough or stopped/partially stopped up.
Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink
jhalb
Moderate User

Post by jhalb »

larryeddington wrote:Vacuum Break Valve for top of tank.

http://www.aimsfasteners.com/plastic_tank_valves.html

I am going to install a vacuum breaker like one of these (vacuum only) pressure will go out vents. The vents will allow vacuum or pressure to vent but when discharging the black water at the dock that have aggressive vacuum the tank could collapse if the vents are either not larger enough or stopped/partially stopped up.
That's why I went with the Big Orange Filter. It has a pressure vent built in.
John
"PELICAN"
1983 10 Meter Express
Jimmy
Sporadic User

Post by Jimmy »

Boat is coming out of its winter hibernation. And time to reserect this post. Ok 11 meter guys, hopefully you can save me some crawling around and pulling panels. Where is the holding tank? and most importantly, where does this stinker vent? Gonna start on the filter kit increase hose size if needed, and hopefully breathe a little easier this summer.

Appreciate all the suggestion, and guidance.

BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

If you need a 14th option.... :)

I found directions online to cut open a Sealand filter and replace the charcoal. You just PVC threaded fittings (one shot deal) and then it unscrews the next time. $5 worth of charcoal from the Pet store (fish tank) looks like it will do 3 or more refills.

Once you cut one open you'll see how simple it really is and easily made. I already had a good "core" so I rebuilt mine.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
Jimmy
Sporadic User

Post by Jimmy »

Thanks, now all I need to do is know WHERE to access the vent hose to perform the surgery. Once I see what is there and how much room I have, I can fab the filter.

Jimmy
Sporadic User

Post by Jimmy »

Well, I did my snoopinig and sniffing around the boat to find the tank. Duh, it sat right under the generator. Pulled off the float switch cover to make sure, yep.... That is it..... Traced the vent hose to a nice high spot just prior to the thru hull. Should work nice. Going to add the double barrel 2" pvc stink filter filled with aquarium coal. I decided to reduce the flow velocity by increasing the area in hopes that the coal has more time to absorb the offending oders. I am also going to add a smaller diameter hose from the vent system to flow air into the tank to keep it well vented.

Ill,post pictures when done in case anyone else needs to so the same, Great advise on this from all. All those within "nose shot" of the boat thank you too. :shock: