WayWeGo Repairs and Improvements

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Captrichc
Moderate User

Re: WayWeGo Repairs and Improvements

Post by Captrichc »

I'm thinking if putting a solid top canopy and just doing curtains next year of my fly bridge. But I need to figure out anchor light fix for next season
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Captrichc, are you thinking a fiberglass hardtop or one from hardtotop? Either of them can support an anchor light -- the one supplied by Atlantic Towers used a Perko head on their own shaft. I plan to convert it to LED soon.

I tried to wire the new light directly from the flybridge switch, but was not successful. Even though it is not shown on the schematics, I suspect there is a diode somewhere in the circuit. After a couple of frustrating hours trying to figure it out, I ended up wiring the new light to the old wires that were powering the light on the front of the flybridge. Not very elegant, but now the light works correctly.

We ran into some problems integrating the canvas enclosure with the radar arch, and I will ultimately be making some changes. Our canvas is getting thin and will not last forever, so I am thinking about a hardtotop with new curtains that we make ourselves.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
Captrichc
Moderate User

Post by Captrichc »

WayWeGo wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:50 pm Captrichc, are you thinking a fiberglass hardtop or one from hardtotop? Either of them can support an anchor light -- the one supplied by Atlantic Towers used a Perko head on their own shaft. I plan to convert it to LED soon.

I tried to wire the new light directly from the flybridge switch, but was not successful. Even though it is not shown on the schematics, I suspect there is a diode somewhere in the circuit. After a couple of frustrating hours trying to figure it out, I ended up wiring the new light to the old wires that were powering the light on the front of the flybridge. Not very elegant, but now the light works correctly.

We ran into some problems integrating the canvas enclosure with the radar arch, and I will ultimately be making some changes. Our canvas is getting thin and will not last forever, so I am thinking about a hardtotop with new curtains that we make ourselves.
Awesome. Ill be following you on that. The current anchor light does not work and is also not at the highest point currently on the boat. I though about using a portable one for now untill i do the hard top since i have a canvas top right now.

Also you say you make your own canvas enclosures? Please shatr your process.
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Captrichc, I probably won't do anything with the light until I need to, as what I have now works fine. I would have preferred a more elegant installation and could have make my light work with a diode, but I didn't have one with me and needed to get it working before a cruise where we likely would need the lights. My best suggestion is to use a voltmeter or test light to figure out what is going wrong with yours. First check for correct operation of the switch and then at the light. It would probably be easier to dismount the light rather than hanging over the front of the flybridge to test the voltages there.

For temporarily mounting your light on the bimini, I think you can get lights that clamp onto the poles -- many pontoon boats mount their lights that way.

As for the canvas work, Sailrite.com is a fantastic resource for materials and instructions. Their information is way more detailed than anything I can provide and we regularly refer to it.

My wife has a number of sewing machines, some of which are usable for light canvas work. The next time we have a large canvas project, I am going to talk her into buying a machine that has a walking foot. The walking foot makes it much easier to sew areas with many layers. For an example of how lucky I am to have a talented seamstress for a wife, check out the curtains she made for the salon earlier in this thread.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
Captrichc
Moderate User

Post by Captrichc »

Is she looking for some side work..... i need a few canvases fixed.... lol
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Probably not a good idea for me -- I have a few sewing tasks on the to-do list that I have been negotiating with her to get done. :roll:
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

WayWeGo wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:44 am Probably not a good idea for me -- I have a few sewing tasks on the to-do list that I have been negotiating with her to get done. :roll:
Could be cheap to pay someone :mrgreen:
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Salon Speakers

Post by WayWeGo »

Before I started this thread, I had replaced the old cassette deck in the salon with a CD/Bluetooth receiver. The speakers in the salon were single cone West Marine speakers that really didn't sound good at all. Since we use the stereo all the time, it made sense to upgrade the speakers to take full advantage of the stereo.

On previous boats, we have been very happy with Polk DB651 speakers and I found out that they were being phased out. After looking at the replacements, I decided that I liked the old ones better and bought a pair to install. They sound quite a bit better!

Out with the old:
20190507_162716.jpg
20190507_162716.jpg (22.2 KiB) Viewed 14050 times
In with the new:
20190507_162816.jpg
20190507_162816.jpg (27.74 KiB) Viewed 14050 times
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
Captrichc
Moderate User

Post by Captrichc »

Very nice . I havent started on that project. Its on the list but i have more pressing things to do first lol
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

New Controls for Flybridge

Post by WayWeGo »

The details are in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11477&p=106320#p106320

As a teaser, we went from controls with five inches of slop in neutral:
Controls - Neutral.jpg
Controls - Neutral.jpg (118.43 KiB) Viewed 13052 times
To controls with minimal play and friction:
Controls - Finished.jpg
Controls - Finished.jpg (76.24 KiB) Viewed 13052 times
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Displaying Engine Gauges on Chartplotter

Post by WayWeGo »

I have begun a journey to display my engine gauges on a chartplotter. There are some issues with using AC Delco gauges, and I will cover the process and final configuration in this thread: RS11 Installation

The final goal is to display the gauges on an easy to access screen on the chartplotter, and even more important, be able to set alarms that will be displayed when an out of range condition occurs. I will have Engine Coolant Temperature, Engine Oil Pressure, RPMs, Exhaust Temperature at the Y Pipe and Port Engine Voltage monitored.
Simrad Instruments.jpg
Simrad Instruments.jpg (90.95 KiB) Viewed 12756 times
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Soundings Magazine Article

Post by WayWeGo »

Our F-36 was featured in Soundings Magazine's Used Boat Column: Trojan F-36
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

I like the way the Simrad gauges turned out. I think after our conversation about the NMEA interface, I am going to head the same direction before boating season.
Currently Trojan-less :?
JG1970

Re: Displaying Engine Gauges on Chartplotter

Post by JG1970 »

WayWeGo wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:18 pm I have begun a journey to display my engine gauges on a chartplotter. There are some issues with using AC Delco gauges, and I will cover the process and final configuration in this thread: RS11 Installation

The final goal is to display the gauges on an easy to access screen on the chartplotter, and even more important, be able to set alarms that will be displayed when an out of range condition occurs. I will have Engine Coolant Temperature, Engine Oil Pressure, RPMs, Exhaust Temperature at the Y Pipe and Port Engine Voltage monitored.
Simrad Instruments.jpg
How do you even go about doing this??
1985 Trojan International 11 Meter Sedan
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Displaying Engine Gauges on Chartplotter

Post by Moderator »

JG1970 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:26 pm
WayWeGo wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:18 pm I have begun a journey to display my engine gauges on a chartplotter. There are some issues with using AC Delco gauges, and I will cover the process and final configuration in this thread: RS11 Installation

Simrad Instruments.jpg
How do you even go about doing this??
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11509

Helping keep Trojan Yachts alive .
Forum Moderator
TrojanBoats.Net
Trojan Boater