Soft deck

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Bob Giaier
Sporadic User

Soft deck

Post by Bob Giaier »

A few years ago I rebeded the anchor mount on the front deck of my Tri-cabin and never filled in one of the old mounting holes. Yes, I self induced the next problem ..... A soft deck under my anchor. There is a lot of info on the forum and online on how to repair it. So this fall I plan to open up the area and let it dry out all winter and then replace the balsa. I still have lots of West Systems epoxy left from other projects to use on this job.

My question really has to do with prepping the non skid gel coat deck. I was thinking of painting it with Bright side / Awlgrip. I guess I'm asking if anyone has done this? Do I have to sand the whole front deck smooth or can I roll over the non skid gel coat . I think I know the answer as I write this (sand the deck smooth).
Misty
Sporadic User

Re: Soft deck

Post by Misty »

Brightside is silicon based and is too soft and will have to be removed if you ever overcoat . I really dont like it.
Bob Giaier
Sporadic User

Post by Bob Giaier »

What would you use?
Tri-Guy

Post by Tri-Guy »

Hi, I used Interlux Bright sides on my decks 6-7 years ago.
I made my repairs and then painted the decks from the rub rail to the edge of the cabin.
First 2 coats were reduced bright sides, 3rd coat was mixed with the non skid on the deck only not the toe rail. 4th coat was reduced bright sides to seal the non skid. I have sanded and spot repairs a few times since then with no problems. I'm partners in an auto body shop as a side job and paint all the time. Using Interlux 2 part perfection, these spot repairs would look very bad. In my option bright sides is good for what your trying to do. It is very user friendly for someone that doesn't paint that often.
Misty
Sporadic User

Post by Misty »

I would use a good petit enamel or (gasp) rust oleum on a spot before I used the single part polyurethane.
Bob Giaier
Sporadic User

Post by Bob Giaier »

I [used Brightside on my rear deck and it was easy for me compared to the 2 part primer interlux recommended that I put on first. The only problem I had with the rear deck was with the Awlgrip. It was too cold when I put it on and it clumped in certain areas . I think I can clean it real good and re paint it without Awlgrip. At least I was thinking of doing that. Anyways I do think it's a good product.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I also like Interlux Brightside .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
LandVF36
Moderate User

Post by LandVF36 »

Brightsides. I've loved it and I've hated it. Love it because its easy. as with anything, the prep is everything. I've had more complements on our 40+ year old boat because the paint looks like new now even 4+ years later.

Now the bad. It CAN NOT have water sit on it too long (couple of days) or winter wrap touching it that is going to draw moisture. I painted everything above the rub rail. My bow sits low as I no longer have the aft gas tanks. As such, water sits on the bow edges when it rains, sometimes for a day or two before it drys up. Where the rain sits on the bow, it has all peeled 2-3 times. I drives me nuts.

Next project is to soda blast the entire deck clean and try a 2 part paint that can handle the water.
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1991 Thompson 21' Carerra Cuddy
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Former Owner - 1973 Trojan F-36 "Light and Variable"
Bob Giaier
Sporadic User

Post by Bob Giaier »

That's good to know. My bow has that condition when on the hard. I have the bow lower so water drains out the drain hole in front. Thanks for the info. Are you considering a 2 part polyurethane?
LandVF36
Moderate User

Post by LandVF36 »

I'm looking at doing a 2 part "epoxy" type paint. I will likely have the boat awhile, and I don't want to do it again. The drawback to the 2-parts is that they are harder, and I understand that if you have any areas that flex, it will crack (which is not desired). So, lots of prep work after the soda blast to fix some current spider cracks, fill holes, and one small soft spot.
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1991 Thompson 21' Carerra Cuddy
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Former Owner - 1973 Trojan F-36 "Light and Variable"
Bob Giaier
Sporadic User

Post by Bob Giaier »

When you used 2 part paint were you able to mix small
Batches? When I used the primer I ended up mixing the whole can. It seamed a little tricky to try to measure out a smaller batch since the Interlux primer paint I used was extremely thick and hard to measure
DAVIDLOFLAND
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by DAVIDLOFLAND »

You might consider using a tintable spray bedliner material (ex. Raptor) then topcoating with high quality polyurethane (ex. Imron). I did mine 5 years ago and it is still flawless. It will likely last another 15 years. One great aspect is you don't have to do much fairing work, just grind the heck out of the existing surface with 36 grit, then spray the Raptor with the included 'gun' that screws right on top of the can. Then top coat it (wet on wet) with polyurethane with aluminum silicate non-skid added to make it shiny yet still non-skid. The products are available at autobody supply stores.
Attachments
DAY 31 (8).JPG
DAY 31 (8).JPG (35.4 KiB) Viewed 8282 times
DAY 31 (5).JPG
DAY 31 (5).JPG (40.5 KiB) Viewed 8282 times
DAY 31 (6).JPG
DAY 31 (6).JPG (40.38 KiB) Viewed 8282 times
1977 F-32 INSTANT FUN "Just Add Water"
My Forever boat - O/O 30 years and counting
Yanmar 6BY3-260's
Bob Giaier
Sporadic User

Post by Bob Giaier »

Your boat looks great. I'm surprised you can paint over a bed liner. I would think the paint would crack being over a soft surface.

I've been studying my soft deck issue and I'm planning to cut the bad out from below. I figure that the area being about a foot by a foot I can mange the work from below. Also, I know from my drywall work at home that if I cut from the top my boat will look like Frankenstein.
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

Bob Giaier wrote:Your boat looks great. I'm surprised you can paint over a bed liner. I would think the paint would crack being over a soft surface.
I've been studying my soft deck issue and I'm planning to cut the bad out from below. I figure that the area being about a foot by a foot I can mange the work from below. Also, I know from my drywall work at home that if I cut from the top my boat will look like Frankenstein.
How do you stop gravity making the epoxy drip?
The support of the deck comes from that lower skin.... please do it from above, that is the normal approach. You can see the wet core better to remove and you will have something fixed to lay the wetted new core down on and then seal it all around and most important when you replace the dek layer you will be able to press it down to make sure there are no voids between the core and top skin. How do you do that from underneath??? How do you hold it up in contact with underside of deck while replacing the lower skin??

You are likely to have delamination immediately or with time the way you are planning on doing it.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/trojanf32 ... 8792002787
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
Bob Giaier
Sporadic User

Post by Bob Giaier »

Wow! Was there any part of the deck you didn't replace. Amazing.

I know what your saying about gravity and voids, but with the smaller area I was planning to do, I thought I'd use an inflated bladder from below. Not sure what that is exactly yet. I also thought I'd drill holes where the anchor fittings are and use that to fill any voids from the top once the core it epoxied in from below.

The reason I'm leaning on going from underneath is the top of the deck is in great shape. The only reason for the soft area is I left a hole in the deck from an old anchor mounting screw.