River bottom place for Onan?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Misty
Sporadic User

River bottom place for Onan?

Post by Misty »

Hi All,

I guess a schematic and sleepless nights are the way I'd traditionally solve this issue, but thought I would just ask to test the waters: I am thinking of divorcing my Onan. My trifly will be a short range lake cruiser and floating condo and I just dont see the need (ballast?) for a dated, finicky piece of uh... Equipment taking up PRIME real estate in my bilge.

Pulling it and fitting it through the exit is a head scratcher however! Also... Where will it go? My summer cabin could use a backup power source and having it outta that bilge with ten other guys and their bugets could keep it running on end of season boat gas? What are they worth? (not a prime concern ) What do they weigh? ( very prime concern) Should I truck it from Seattle to NY? It turns over fine, and the PO has been fiddling with it but I don't need 110 on the water.
Attachments
WP_20150829_004(1).jpg
WP_20150829_004(1).jpg (16.19 KiB) Viewed 6736 times
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: River bottom place for Onan?

Post by prowlersfish »

Sell it lots of people like them . I assume you don't spend much time on the hook ? But before you get rid of it , with a boat like yours selling without a genset limits buyers . Most that cruse want and need a genset . Unless its a dock queen I would leave it in . Just my 2 cents worth .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

prowlersfish wrote:Sell it lots of people like them . I assume you don't spend much time on the hook ? But before you get rid of it , with a boat like yours selling without a genset limits buyers . Most that cruse want and need a genset . Unless its a dock queen I would leave it in . Just my 2 cents worth .
+1
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

prowlersfish wrote:Sell it lots of people like them . I assume you don't spend much time on the hook ? But before you get rid of it , with a boat like yours selling without a genset limits buyers . Most that cruse want and need a genset . Unless its a dock queen I would leave it in . Just my 2 cents worth .
+1
I couldn't use a boat without a genset even for weekends!
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
Misty
Sporadic User

Post by Misty »

HAHA Yes, I get the genset Idea, and perhaps should try. But a running genny ruins my peace and quiet. I remember the first time on a remote BC ferry on a month bike-packing trip someone looked at my ten pound load and said OMG NO STOVE!! I eat a samwich, kick back and listen to the eagles. Many commercials here just ditch the built in genset and go with a portable as needed. I see no need for it.
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

prowlersfish wrote: with a boat like yours selling without a genset limits buyers . Most that cruse want and need a genset .
+1
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
raymillsus

Post by raymillsus »

I am looking at boats now and to be honest I have already tossed 4 boats off the list due to either no Genset or broken need replaced Genset's. Good advice to leave it in if you ever want to sell it. We actually loved one boat and we really were considering going to the next level until the wife asked what size the Generator was. He said 7.5 but needed to be replaced. She looked at the broker and said "What else do you have"
Misty
Sporadic User

Post by Misty »

These are valuable opinions. I think most folks here are looming for vintage liveaboArds however with maximum space. Ill take a stab at getting it running but am put off by how unreliable they are. As I say, it turns over :| And you are right, just because in all my years of cruising the salish sea I had no need for one doesnt mean somone else wouldnt love one.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

unreliable ? Thousands and thousands of theses around that are 40+ years old and still running strong .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Flyboy
Sporadic User

Post by Flyboy »

I agree with Prowlersfish, my Onan was neglected when we bought the boat and just needed points and Plugs to get it purring. Generators need to be run from time to time. I run mine at least once a month for about an hour under a load. Keep it and get it running.
1981 10 meter Trojan International
pk
Moderate User

Post by pk »

I gave away my Onan 6.5. Today I have a battery bank with four large 12V batteries. When I need high voltage (we use 230V here in Norway) I just turn the switch for my inverter. My fridge and my stove is on LNG / Prophane. Ice cube maker is on 12V. And I have a solar cell panel for charging batteries when engines is no running. And I have got a nice roomy engine room.
International 10 Meter Express named "Jolla Mi", powered by nothing.....
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

I'm with PK on this one. I have an inverter with four 6v Trojan batteries. My microwave is connected at the panel to switch between shore and inverter. With that setup, i can run both fridges, use micro and toaster oven for two nights. TV's are hardwired. The only two things I can't run are AC and the stovetop which we never use @ the dock.

If I went more than two consecutive nights I would have to do something differently.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
Misty
Sporadic User

Post by Misty »

I already have the battery bank and was thinking of using a solar panel. By unreliable I mean at the use interval that I would need it, the maintenance is out of proportion to its utility. Drive to the boat and start it every month? And not use it? The word "Sysiphan" comes to mind. 1970s technology is way past expiration and only exciting if it has CHRYSLER written on the side! I do have a lot of old fuel to burn through in my skunk tank but doubt it could even handle it. Space baby!
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

You don't mention where are you are from. But if you are from the Great Lakes area you can probably ditch it and not worry about resale value. It may be a good parts replacement for someone on here who could use it.