Crusader 454 needs priming to get it started

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Re: Crusader 454 needs priming to get it started

Post by P-Dogg »

Holy ship!
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

Glad things didn't turn more tragic. Thank you for sharing your story. Sometimes our life lessons are hard to tell due to the resulting insult to our ego. I know mine sure are.
Currently Trojan-less :?
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

My Chrysler marine engine manual recommends using a pump oil can of gasoline to fill the carburetor float bowl through the vent tube before starting. Not sure I would do that...

Our last boat had a Mercruiser 454 with a Rochester Quadrajet that was always difficult to start if laid up for more than a day or two. Lots of cranking was needed, to the point that I had to wait and let the starter cool down a couple of times. Wish I had known about the fix Jamie mentioned.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

I have 1984 454 350's and had the same cranking problem described throughout this thread, I bought a matched pair of remanufactured Quadrajet carburetors and it instantly fixed the problem, the boat starts almost instantly and both engines run smoothly with little exhaust smell. I still have the the pair I pulled off if anyone is interested in a good rebuildable set.. I'll sell them cheap !
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott