All most new F32 owner

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Susiesboat

All most new F32 owner

Post by Susiesboat »

I am in the process of purchasing a 1984 Trojan F32 (survey dependent). What is the beam of that boat? Also, I will be transporting the boat via a boat hauler. Is it your experience that the flybridge will have to be removed and, if so, about how many man hours is involved with removing? And re-installing now that I think of it.
Many thanks,
Susiesboat.
Reel Easy
Sporadic User

Re: All most new F32 owner

Post by Reel Easy »

Welcome aboard.
Dustin
78 F-32 Express Hard top twin 360s Abyss
1999 360 Express twin 7.4
Catawba Island, Ohio
Reel Easy
Sporadic User

Post by Reel Easy »

Your beam should be 13ft.
Dustin
78 F-32 Express Hard top twin 360s Abyss
1999 360 Express twin 7.4
Catawba Island, Ohio
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

The beam is 13'. The flybridge surround, ladder and console will need to be removed in most cases.
I have done mine. The two of us did the removal in 2 days. You will need to label all harnesses, wiring from fuse panel and cables.

Yours might be doable in one day with the right help. Search F32 transport or similar here. Much on the topic. Good luck and welcome.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
LandVF36
Moderate User

Post by LandVF36 »

I'm pretty certain an F32 has a 13' beam, draft of 2'6" and a bridge clearance of 12'6" (add those last two together for the guy hauling so 15'). Unless its a very short distance where you can avoid all bridges and over-head lines, the flybridge has to come off. Its a good day work for two people disconnecting steering (clamp it down), validate labels on the wires leaving the terminal blocks and remove them from the in-side of the flybridge and secure them down to the floor as well). The bridge is heavy. If a yard has a crane/hoist, thats the best way to go. After you remove the screws to the floor, slip a box made of 4 x 4s under it and hoist it forward to the bow where it can ride in transport. Most of all, you MUST re-bed the screws when you re-attach with a good sealant so you don't end up with water in your fly-bridge floor in the years the follow.
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1991 Thompson 21' Carerra Cuddy
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Former Owner - 1973 Trojan F-36 "Light and Variable"
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

you MUST re-bed the screws when you re-attach with a good sealant
This is a must, but I would also drill over-size holes and fill them with epoxy, then drill for your hardware, so that water can't leak through failed sealant into the core.

See: http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/be ... rdware.asp, except ignore the advice to come back and turn the nuts (if applicable) after the sealant cures. The theory is to further squeeze the sealant, but in practice, if the fastener turns and it breaks the seal, the installation is worthless.

Attend the survey. Ask questions. Good luck. And welcome!
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

I use Butyl-l tape to bed... it never hardens so it maintains a seal even when there is slight movement in the hold down area...... not so when you use a compound that sets up!!
See here:
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/rebedding_hardware

I guess our bridges must be higher in Ontario:
All I remove is the wind deflector, ladder, steering wheel, shifters and have her put on a lowboy trailer so the keel is about 9/12" off the road. NOTE the bow is lowered which reduces overall height.

Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL