Trying to decide what to do with a 1971 F31

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

crewedattempt

Trying to decide what to do with a 1971 F31

Post by crewedattempt »

Have had her for 6 seasons; have probably put less than 300 hours on her since buying in 2010. She was sold to me as having less than 60 hours on rebuilt engines then.

We have kept her up mechanically, with work completed by the yard on the port engine intake and exhaust manifolds, trim tabs, and steering. Also replaced the upper flybridge controls with new Morse doubles and the lower shifts with Morse singles, along with the electric windlass.

The engines are Ford 302's generating 255HP.

We redid the flybridge seats as well as the interior cushions; also had custom cushions made for the cabin top.

She's been good to us, but she is small, gas-powered, and 44 years old; we are loth to sink a lot of money into her at this point.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to the best way to part with her?
- sale
- donation
- parting out
crewedattempt

Re: Trying to decide what to do with a 1971 F31

Post by crewedattempt »

K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

Sell, please sell such a beautiful boat to someone who is interested in boating and wants a great boat in that size and maybe cannot afford a new/newer one. Im thinking with a donation you will not see much in your tax return and parting out, well theirs not that many valuable things that cross over to multiple boats and then you have the hull to dispose of after
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Sell or donate . Parting out would be a hassle and the you would have to get rid of the hull and that could cost $$
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Hi

Is there something seriously flawed with the boat that will cost you a lot of money?

Usually, a donated boat (in my experience) is a boat facing some serious and immediate costs. Your boat looks great in the photo and the work you have done on her previously is not the kind of stuff one usually does to a junker.

If nothing serious, I'm sure you could sell her. The price you ask will of course dictate the speed of the sale. Maybe you should give someone a great deal.

Love those lines. We rented one just like it at our marina when the kids were young and had a week-long holiday. We owned a pontoon houseboat at the time and we sure felt like a million bucks on your boat :)

Cheers

Rick
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

It sounds like you already dropped a good bit of coin on her.

It's a sellable boat. There is a market for it; probably someone who wants to upgrade from a 23ish cuddy. You have probably already realized that you wont make your money back, so even if you let it go for a few thousand, it's still a few thousand more than donating or scrapping it.
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

I realized after I posted this boat is here in Rhode Island, someone will buy her. The open model boat wont get the same money as a enclosed but its better than donating or parting, craigslist is a great tool ;-)
Lou

Post by Lou »

Very nice and solid boat. I own same boat and love the layout! Not too many of these around from what I can tell. Got more pics you can share of yours?
1972 - Trojan F31
1981 - Grady White Sailfish 25
1988 - Wellcraft 2800 Express
1966 - Chris Craft 36'
yachthunter

Post by yachthunter »

I've been looking for an F31. Do you know where this boat is now?
Bill Lago
bl1949@comcast.net
630-777-2266