Fuel Tank Removal

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Capt Doug

Fuel Tank Removal

Post by Capt Doug »

I have a 1976 F32 and I have a lot of stuff,(looks like saw dust), in the stbd rear fuel tank. The mechanic at the marina said the galvanized tank (62 gal) is degalvanizing. Does anybody know how to remove the fuel tanks from under the cockpit floor of the F32 conv ?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Fuel Tank Removal

Post by prowlersfish »

If its a fiberglass deck you will have to lift/remove the deck section , If its teak I believe you have to do some cutting . I believe some others have done this hope fully they will post
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Capt Doug

Post by Capt Doug »

Well the deck is marine plywood I put down 6 years ago with Nautlux over it. I've had the boat 16 years. I was hooping I could slide it out thru the engine area, over the trans and over top of the distributor. But dont know if that will work
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

Capt Doug wrote:Well the deck is marine plywood I put down 6 years ago with Nautlux over it. I've had the boat 16 years. I was hooping I could slide it out thru the engine area, over the trans and over top of the distributor. But dont know if that will work
I have done ours but its a 78 with glass deck, really pretty easy.......not sure about the 76 but don't you have a bulkhead under the sliding doors ?? which model do you have , that would help.....
Capt Doug

Post by Capt Doug »

She a F32 Flybridge Sedan, and yes there is a bulkhead under the sliding doors, I replaced it a few years ago.
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

Ok...well if I remember right my old tanks were round galv ,something like 20" in diam X 48" long ......Mike
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Sounds like you are going to be cutting something. With later (fiberglass cockpit) models of the F32, 90-95% of the cockpit floor can be unbolted and lifted, making access to the tanks simple.

Sounds like you will need to cut through the cockpit floor, or through the firewall to shuttle tanks forward and then up and out... As much as I hate to trash a visible cockpit, think that would be the better deal as you don't have to worry as much about fuel spillage or engine damage, or structural issues. If you can purge the tanks in place, better option for you IMO.
Capt Doug

Post by Capt Doug »

That is the same tanks I have. 20 X 48 round. I dont want to cut up the deck, it looks too good to cut up and i spent a lot of time and money doing it. I need another way to get the tanks out.
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

I don't think there is an easier way than taking out from above.... do you have any kind of access hatch? These tanks are from 1978 and still are OK.

Saw dust?? You sure that is not contamination that got in the tank. What does the outside of the tank look like? Especially where it is strapped down and the ends where the cap seam is.
Is it leaking? How contaminated is the fuel coming from it.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

When we had our F-32, it had the tanks in the aft lazarette, they looked a bit rusty so I ran the fuel out of them, and never put fuel back in them, I didn't do any long range cruising or fishing so I didn't need to carry that much fuel. my suggestion to you is that if you have confirmed the tanks are unsafe, and you don't really need the extra fuel, empty them and leave them alone.
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
Capt Doug

Post by Capt Doug »

Thanks for all the input. The 2 tanks are the only ones on the boat. I have to fix them or cant use the engines. I think I'm going to measure and cut the bulkhead and a support out and slide the tank forward. Hope this works out. Will let you know.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I honestly think cutting the deck if the way to go , the only way
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

I have a 1976 F32 and I have a lot of stuff,(looks like saw dust), in the stbd rear fuel tank.
What exactly did you mean? You'd looked inside the tank and saw stuff floating on top of the fuel??

My 1974 rounded, galvanized tanks developed pin hole leaks and my first sign of trouble was the gas smell. Yanking and replacing those tanks on a TriCabin with V-drives was a bear of a job.

I think I agree with the other Captain though and I would cut that cockpit out in a heartbeat, leave the bulkhead where Trojan put it and out of revenge, install an even better cockpit (if that's possible) and buy myself an expensive bottle of scotch (definitely possible).

Having done the cockpit once already, it might go easier the second time around. Just sayin'

Good luck in whatever it is that you decide to do, Captain Doug.

Rick
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

Capt Doug wrote:... The 2 tanks are the only ones on the boat....
Wait a second... IIRC, there were two options for fuel tanks... 2 or 4. The fuel tanks on the outsides of the motors were the standard ones and the 2 under the cockpit were the optional ones. What happened to the 2 tanks up front?
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

I agree with Bjanakos about the middle tanks being standard. My dock mate had the same arrangement without the optional, additional, cockpit located tanks.

Removing the standard front tanks would have been really difficult for the former owner and so I doubt they're gone.

I'd bet they'd be there. Sure hope so, because that would pretty much solve your issue - hopefully.

Rick
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters