To Grease Or Not To Grease

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Paul
Active User

To Grease Or Not To Grease

Post by Paul »

Since the boat has an appointment with the travel lift this afternoon, the wife and I went out for our final ride of the season last night. It was cold and windy and we were the only boat on the water but we made the most of it. As we pulled out of the marina I turned on the radar and as it was spinning up, it showed a fault code of "0" and shut down. The next message stated "radar lost". I shut down the MFD (multi function display) and turned it back on a couple of times with the same result, although the chart plotter was working fine. When we returned to the marina, I climbed up onto the roof and reached up under the radar unit (Garmin GMR24) and unscrewed jiggled and re-tightened the power and network connections. The next time that I turned on the radar it started right up, no problem.

I found it odd that these connections could be compromised like this since they were sealed with "O" rings. I do use dielectric grease on other connections such as trailer lights and spark plug wires to protect them and was thinking that it may be a good idea to use it on these radar connections. The power lead is pretty straight forward however I'm not so sure of what the effect will be on the network cable.

Any thoughts?
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
Allen Sr
Active User

Re: To Grease Or Not To Grease

Post by Allen Sr »

I have used dielectric grease for years on class 8 trucks and have never had a problem with it. If it were me I would use it on both cables it is a non-conductive grease so there should be no interference with either cable. Also it wont harm the O-rings either. Hope this helps.
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
RWS
Ultimate User

Re: To Grease Or Not To Grease

Post by RWS »

great product for boaters

I learned to love it !

RWS