Winterizing Walter V Drives

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

marklo154
Sporadic User

Winterizing Walter V Drives

Post by marklo154 »

Hello Everyone,

I was looking for so advice on the proper way to winterize by walter V drives and transmissions. I never really paid much attention to them the last few years as far as winterizing goes. But all are rebuild and one brand new so I want to make sure I do everything correctly

Thanks in advance
1978 Trojan F36 Tri Cabin
The Dog House
Active User

Re: Winterizing Walter V Drives

Post by The Dog House »

For my Paragon transmission and V drive I change the transmission fluid in each and then run pink anti-freeze through the water passages.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

whats your method now, a silverton i winterize, i did it this morning actually just gets the pink antifreeze run though the water intake, i actually have a piece of hose about 4 feet long that is used just to winterize the transmission/motor together. After I see the pink antifreeze coming from the exhaust i add a little green, I know its not the most environmentally friendly thing to do but i think it has better lubrication and doesn't have the slush/freeze point that the pink stuff does
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

go RIGHT to the source. contact them straight away....................
http://www.waltergear.com

they have EXCELLENT customer service and they will be more than happy to answer all your questions.
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
tcollins2
2024 Forum Support
2024 Forum Support

Post by tcollins2 »

Great customer service as long as you have the model number and serial number of the v-drive. The raw water passage is small, holds about two cups of water. They recommend that you take out the six bolts on the cover and inspect it every year for build up and any blockage. So you will need extra gaskets from them. Before you take the cover off make sure you take the hoses off and let it drain. If you don't then any water in the water jacket will find its way down the dipstick hole and turn your oil white and cause you to panic unnecessarily. Learned that lesson all by myself.
1990 Trojan 12M International Express Detroit Diesels 6-71T's, 425HP
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

tcollins2 wrote:Great customer service as long as you have the model number and serial number of the v-drive. The raw water passage is small, holds about two cups of water. They recommend that you take out the six bolts on the cover and inspect it every year for build up and any blockage. So you will need extra gaskets from them. Before you take the cover off make sure you take the hoses off and let it drain. If you don't then any water in the water jacket will find its way down the dipstick hole and turn your oil white and cause you to panic unnecessarily. Learned that lesson all by myself.
having the model and serial numbers help when requesting replacement parts, but, walter gear can also cross reference the v-drives with your hull ID number. it's all registered in their database. winterizing is the same across all platforms with the walter drives.
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com