Project "Tri Fly"

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Misty
Sporadic User

Re: Project "Tri Fly"

Post by Misty »

That was a heavy lifting day for sure. TEENAGERS will be out of school before you know it. They are great at carrying plywood and handing u *** thats too far away 8)
Misty
Sporadic User

Post by Misty »

The shower miraculously became a shower. Lets call it a "spray booth" with the low flow showerhead I installed. I really should post pics but winfone plus discussion board equals pain in the rear.Get some teenagers to help you for the promise of a boat ride! They can hand you a tool and fetch beverages just fine!
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

Hi folks, time for a project update.
I now have 1 engine in and running with everything hooked up, with the exception of the alternator and water pump. Sounds great!

I have most of the AC wiring in, including stove, ac, water heater, microwave, refrigerator, and additional outlets installed in the heads, galley and salon.

I have the galley cabinets in place and stained, although the colour clashes with my flooring, so I’m going to darken the stain and use a light coloured granite on the counter tops.

I made a booth seat for the salon dining area with lots of storage under and behind. Just needs covering.

I installed fuel lines for the generator and engines, even the engine that's not there yet
Sanded down the swim platform
cleaned fuel tank
I didn't really do much to the forward head or V berth, so far just a clean up and new floor in the head. Also covered the toilet stand with fibreglass.
Aft bunks that will have a platform across the 2 beds for a queen matress
I believe at this point I have all the bulkheads in and tabbed and all the “big” construction done.
In the next few weeks I hope to do the aft head (vanity, tub/shower), flooring, carpet (stairs) wall coverings and hardware in the galley.
I was hoping to use the boat this year, but a rental I have just became unexpectantly vacant  and I have some work to do before I can get tenants back in it. grrrreat!
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions to date, they have been encouraging and helpful. I hope to meet some of the Trojan family, even if I have to drive to do it!
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
Christian
Sporadic User

Post by Christian »

Hi Barrie,

Wow! Fantastic progress. If I had known that with a "little" elbow grease she would look this good, I would have bought her :shock: ...

That fuel tank sure looks clean. How did you manage that?

Christian
El L Sea
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by El L Sea »

Looking great!

I just put my cabinet pulls on, and I felt at one point that would never happen.

Long roads often lead to happy places!
El L Sea
Fort Myers, FL
1988 Trojan 12m International Sport Fisherman
2017 Boston Whaler 130 Tender w/ 40HP Mercury
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

Christian wrote:Hi Barrie,

Wow! Fantastic progress. If I had known that with a "little" elbow grease she would look this good, I would have bought her :shock: ...

That fuel tank sure looks clean. How did you manage that?

Christian
HaHa! OK Christian :lol:

for the fuel tank I did all the cleaning trough the fill tube hole.
The hardest part was getting the fill pipe off the tank, it was stuck good.
I sprayed Gunk engine degreaser in and then power washed it, one down 2 to go.
The big tank on the starboard side was shot so I cut it up and removed it
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

El L Sea wrote:Looking great!

I just put my cabinet pulls on, and I felt at one point that would never happen.

Long roads often lead to happy places!
I saw you galley remodel on the other post, and it looks awesome. I would be very happy if my project looked even close to that!
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
mike0469

Post by mike0469 »

Your project is awesome and very educational! Thanks for documenting everything so well. How did you pressure wash the inside of the tank through the small filler tube hole. Did you just drop in a pressure hose and tip and let it randomly spray the inside? I need to do the same thing to my tanks.
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

You'll be adding a hose clamp to support that vertical copper tubing, right? Which looks awesome by the way. I love good tubing craftsmanship. Just seems like a long moment arm on that filter fitting. Keep up the good work, and the good documentation.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

mike0469 wrote:Your project is awesome and very educational! Thanks for documenting everything so well. How did you pressure wash the inside of the tank through the small filler tube hole. Did you just drop in a pressure hose and tip and let it randomly spray the inside? I need to do the same thing to my tanks.
Hi Mike0469, my power washer has a metal wand and I was able to bend it 90 degrees. I took a while, spray inspect, spray inspect...repeat!
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

P-Dogg wrote:You'll be adding a hose clamp to support that vertical copper tubing, right? Which looks awesome by the way. I love good tubing craftsmanship. Just seems like a long moment arm on that filter fitting. Keep up the good work, and the good documentation.
Thanks Mr. Dogg. I haven't quite figured out the aft locker walls, to seal the locker from the sleeping area. When I do I will be sure to add more clamps.
I also plan to pull everything off the bulkhead and framing and seal it with paint/resin/epoxy
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
mike0469

Post by mike0469 »

Barrie wrote:
mike0469 wrote:Your project is awesome and very educational! Thanks for documenting everything so well. How did you pressure wash the inside of the tank through the small filler tube hole. Did you just drop in a pressure hose and tip and let it randomly spray the inside? I need to do the same thing to my tanks.
Hi Mike0469, my power washer has a metal wand and I was able to bend it 90 degrees. I took a while, spray inspect, spray inspect...repeat!

Thanks for the info, Barrie!
Misty
Sporadic User

Post by Misty »

Barrie I'd relocate the fuel filter for easy access, ditching the frams for a Raycor with drains and removable elements
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

Thanks Misty, I just searched the Racor marine filters at West marine and it looks like the would fit easily where the frames are. They do look like the way to go.
I'm thinking the fuel filters would be "easy" to access in the aft locker, of course easy being a relative term :lol:
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
Misty
Sporadic User

Post by Misty »

Hey Barrie,
Thats good. I always do the comical rolling seas experiment. Imagine your engine conks and the berth is covered in Fritos suntan oil and water toys. Get through that and imagine a 2' chop to drain the filter and get on your way! If you can do all that you are good.