Project "Tri Fly"

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Misty
Sporadic User

Re: Project "Tri Fly"

Post by Misty »

Really is a good refit in terms of techniques and quality. You'll find "purists" hard pressed to find fault with your work! Funny, but for example I'm considering ditching my rear cabin windows and keeping the rear cockpit windows! Kinda the opposite. The stripe change isn't to my taste, but I think you went the right direction on the escape hatch windows! GREAT JOB! More photos!
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Barrie,

Honest, I'm not trying to find extra work projects for you. :)

But considering the fact that I went through the agony of pulling out those two fuel tanks when they developed pin hole leaks, NOW would be a great time for you to find out what kind of condition those tanks are in.

If for instance, you were to finish your interior cabin renovation and then discover the need to yank out those tanks, you will probably feel like killing yourself imo

Great work so far and great pictorial record.

Cheers

Rick
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

Misty wrote:Really is a good refit in terms of techniques and quality. You'll find "purists" hard pressed to find fault with your work! Funny, but for example I'm considering ditching my rear cabin windows and keeping the rear cockpit windows! Kinda the opposite. The stripe change isn't to my taste, but I think you went the right direction on the escape hatch windows! GREAT JOB! More photos!
Thanks for the input, I've got nothing but time and enjoy being busy.
I like your idea with the cabin windows, maybe next time ;)
I've been working on the engines and engine area lately, one of the forum members gave me a great deal on a couple 400s which has pushed my project along substantially. Thanks Jimbo!
I have more pictures but I have to wait till I get to work to post them....I don't have time when I'm at home.
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

rickalan35 wrote:Barrie,

But considering the fact that I went through the agony of pulling out those two fuel tanks when they developed pin hole leaks, NOW would be a great time for you to find out what kind of condition those tanks are in.

If for instance, you were to finish your interior cabin renovation and then discover the need to yank out those tanks, you will probably feel like killing yourself imo

Cheers

Rick
I'm going to take your advise on the tanks. I've been in denial. I've just finished leveling the salon floor frame, and was going to start putting in the plywood floor this weekend, but your post is haunting me and I don't want to kill myself :)
I can't imagine the work involve in removing them in a finished and furnished boat, what a PITA I bet

Thanks, Barrie
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

rickalan35 wrote:Barrie,

Cheers

Rick
I'm going to take your advise on the tanks. I've been in denial. I've just finished leveling the salon floor frame, and was going to start putting in the plywood floor this weekend, but your post is haunting me and I don't want to kill myself :)
I can't imagine the work involve in removing them in a finished and furnished boat, what a PITA I bet

Thanks, Barrie
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
Misty
Sporadic User

Post by Misty »

Years ago I met a gentleman in Coal Harbor (Vancouver),bc who had a model similar to ours. The interior was cluttered with built in furniture (the dinette) and it was ravaged by the Pacific Northwest monsoons but the engines ran well. He showed me pics of his cruises, crabbing and salmon slaying throughout the NW. The rear entry was rotted but he proudly exclaimed he redid that and pulled the salon windows and rebed them. He stressed getting on top of these issues early, as you are. We chatted and decided if you could keep the rain out, and run, these boats were some of the best you could hope for for fishing, island hopping and all-around family fun. Guys kill themselves to earn $ 100,000 to hunt down an aft cabin with (a REAL... SORRY TOLLYCRAFT!) fishing cockpit to enjoy the inside passage during our 60 days of summer. Point: Keeeeep going!!!!
blair

Post by blair »

WOW!!
Barrie those pictures are like having xray vision into MY tricabin. Thanks for the insight and keep us posted.
Blair
1979 Trojan Tricabin with twin 255 Mercs
11' Inflatable dingy with 4 Hp merc
On the Trent canal system at Young's Point , Clear Lake, Ontario
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

blair wrote:WOW!!
Barrie those pictures are like having xray vision into MY tricabin. Thanks for the insight and keep us posted.
Thanks Blair,
Here's a link to all my photos in photobucket. I only posted some of the relevant earlier. http://s1362.photobucket.com/user/barri ... t=3&page=1

There are some really bad images there :(
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

I’ve been puttering away for a few more weeks and have made a few advances.
Both of the 400 Chryslers were seized, water had leaked in the aft cabin windows and right on the air breather tops and filled the pistons and intake.

This picture shows water pouring out of the dipstick tube

This is my garage full of new to me engines and parts

engine area with engines stripped down needing hoisting out

Cut a couple new hatches in my new deck to pull the drive gear through

Power washed and scrubbed down the engine area and ready for some stringer repair and a coat of resin/paint

And at the same time leveling the floors in the salon area. All the floor joists had a sag, about 1/2" over 4 feet
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

First of all, is anyone else having difficulty accessing the forum?? I certainly am.

Barrie, what you're going through makes me want to weep. But you're like that poem by Alfred Noyes called The Highwayman in that I think you're going to complete this boat "Though hell should bar the way." I think if I had come across those two seized motors I would have packed it in. You keep facing devastating setback after setback and yet like Rocky, you're still standing. Keep up the good work and the positive attitude.
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
Misty
Sporadic User

Post by Misty »

He's doing more than fixing his own boat. He's lighting a fire under many of us! Thanks!
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

Misty wrote:He's doing more than fixing his own boat. He's lighting a fire under many of us! Thanks!
rickalan35 wrote:First of all, is anyone else having difficulty accessing the forum?? I certainly am.

Barrie, what you're going through makes me want to weep. But you're like that poem by Alfred Noyes called The Highwayman in that I think you're going to complete this boat "Though hell should bar the way." I think if I had come across those two seized motors I would have packed it in. You keep facing devastating setback after setback and yet like Rocky, you're still standing. Keep up the good work and the positive attitude.
HaHa thanks, you guys are "funny"

Sometimes it's other peoples reactions that keeps me going :), and if I didn't have something to do I may get in trouble.

I am hoping to use the boat this summer, so I have to push pretty hard to keep things moving.

More to come, I hope

And yes, I have found the forum a little glitchey the last few days...no biggy though
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
Misty
Sporadic User

Post by Misty »

Barrie in the "due diligence" vein, it looks like you may have some of the older seacocks and thruhulls? I know you are fresh water up there but now is the time to inspect and correct. Stuffing boxes too.
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

Misty wrote:Barrie in the "due diligence" vein, it looks like you may have some of the older seacocks and thruhulls? I know you are fresh water up there but now is the time to inspect and correct. Stuffing boxes too.
Thanks Misty, I hadn't thought that far ahead yet, I will disassemble the seacocks and rebuild them if necessary.
How do I check the stuffing boxes when on land?
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
Misty
Sporadic User

Post by Misty »

Yes logs are later... There's a school of thought that you check and repair in the water. But i hate the fire drill feeling. Just undo lg nut w box wrench and repack. The seacocks are going to be easier with all gear out for you so hence the suggestion. The two discussions on this board are really good on both subjects.