Project "Tri Fly"

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

User avatar
Misty
Sporadic User
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:08 pm

Re: Project "Tri Fly"

Post by Misty » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:27 pm

Wow! My dad in NY said you guys were getting slammed with snow. But that didn't stop the Seattle Sounders from taking the MLS cup home from Toronto!!!! :D :D Tops on our boats are a concern. As one member pointed out that is a LOT of space and windage up there.
Last edited by Misty on Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Barrie
Moderate User
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:40 pm

Re: Project "Tri Fly"

Post by Barrie » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:15 pm

TORONTO...lol. We don't consider any one living in T.O. too be real Canadians...city slickers!

I guess that does create a lot of square feet of side and high center of gravity.
I don't think I will notice it much sitting at the dock :lol:
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"

User avatar
Misty
Sporadic User
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:08 pm

Re: Project "Tri Fly"

Post by Misty » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:10 pm

Dare to dream! Sez the guy who unties twice a year if that!!!

User avatar
Barrie
Moderate User
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:40 pm

Re: Project "Tri Fly"

Post by Barrie » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:48 am

Some progress has been made.
I’ve decided to finish at least a small area to give me a moral boost.
I put a little storage box in the floor of the galley, it also gives me an access hole I can get in that will be close to the future vacuflush system and tank.
Image
Image
Image

I’ve also been installing the hardwood floor I talked about a few months ago. Turns out, that’s a lot of work when the saw is set up in the cockpit to keep the sawdust out of the boat. There are many cuts to be made.
After some research, on the web and real living people, I decided not to glue the floor down and to use “finish” screws to instead of nails or staples.
The screws are a couple bucks more, but I find they pull the boards tighter and will be removable if something goes wrong in the bilge.
Image
Image
Image
Image


I’ve also been installing the counter top and fence rail and sampling some back splash.
The top is porcelain 12”x24” tile and the fence is cut from recycled teak from somewhere on the boat.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

The Toronto boat show is next week and I hope to pick up a new sewage system (looking at vacuflush) and pick up some other hardware.
Also, I just wanted to say thanks for all the comments and suggestions to date. I’m not a lifelong boater and need some direction from time to time 
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"

User avatar
WayWeGo
2018 Forum Supporter
2018 Forum Supporter
Posts: 472
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:13 am
Location: Oakton, VA / Rhode River - Chesapeake Bay

Re: Project "Tri Fly"

Post by WayWeGo » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:44 pm

Looking good -- can't wait to see a photo at your slip!
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's

User avatar
Misty
Sporadic User
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:08 pm

Re: Project "Tri Fly"

Post by Misty » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:43 pm

Hey Barrie, good to see you on track! Winter can be cruel up there! Some thoughts... Above your sink near the fan and upper right corner was a drip spot for me. (flybridge bolt overhead too) Make sure those are sealed up tight unless you like green fur mold on your breakfast cereal, party crackers etc... Personally the size of the vacuflush system, and being electrical not mechanical and perfect vacuums exist only in space are issues to weigh. I have hand crank windows in my truck so, consider the source. You also drive a jag so probably read electrical diagrams to relax at night LOL.

User avatar
Barrie
Moderate User
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:40 pm

Re: Project "Tri Fly"

Post by Barrie » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:02 pm

Thanks WayWeGo and Strypes, I appreciate it

Misty, LMAO. It's like you know me!

The reason for the vacuflush is because my very patient and understanding wife would like a toilet as much like home as possible.
I've never used a vacuflush , but I understand it's like that?

Thanks for the laugh!
Last edited by Barrie on Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"

oil&water
2018 Forum Supporter
2018 Forum Supporter
Posts: 222
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:52 pm

Re: Project "Tri Fly"

Post by oil&water » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:53 pm

As I contemplate whether to purchase and restore a F36 SF, your thread may have just been the inspiration I needed.

Keep up the good work!
1980 Trojan F32 / 323 (sans lower helm - wet bar in its place)
Twin Chrysler M360 / Onan 6.5

User avatar
Barrie
Moderate User
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:40 pm

Re: Project "Tri Fly"

Post by Barrie » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:33 pm

Hey oil&water, I say go for it.....what's the worst that could happen :shock:
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"

oil&water
2018 Forum Supporter
2018 Forum Supporter
Posts: 222
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:52 pm

Re: Project "Tri Fly"

Post by oil&water » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:52 am

Thanks Barrie.

Yes, the Vacuflush is the cats meow. A word of caution though, advise all landlubbers to be careful with your system. We had a guest try to flush an enormous amount of toilet paper combined with a rather large bowel movement. It didn't turn out well. The hole in the bottom of the head is only 1-1/4" or so in diameter. It took me a week with a rounded off coat hanger, a pump-out station, as well as a strong stomach to clear that clog.
1980 Trojan F32 / 323 (sans lower helm - wet bar in its place)
Twin Chrysler M360 / Onan 6.5

User avatar
El L Sea
2018 Gold Support
2018 Gold Support
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:27 am
Location: Fort Myers, FL

Re: Project "Tri Fly"

Post by El L Sea » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:53 am

oil&water wrote:Thanks Barrie.

Yes, the Vacuflush is the cats meow. A word of caution though, advise all landlubbers to be careful with your system. We had a guest try to flush an enormous amount of toilet paper combined with a rather large bowel movement. It didn't turn out well. The hole in the bottom of the head is only 1-1/4" or so in diameter. It took me a week with a rounded off coat hanger, a pump-out station, as well as a strong stomach to clear that clog.
For future reference on vacuflush, I had a similar issue. I did 2 things that made it a quick fix in the future.

1. I added a water shutoff right next to the bowl so that I could open the suction without adding water.
2. I always keep a gallon of white vinegar under the sink. Add some to the line and wait an hour or so, and voila, clog no more.
El L Sea
Fort Myers, FL
1988 Trojan 12m International Sport Fisherman
2017 Boston Whaler 130 Tender w/ 40HP Mercury

User avatar
Barrie
Moderate User
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:40 pm

Re: Project "Tri Fly"

Post by Barrie » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:15 am

El L Sea wrote:
oil&water wrote:Thanks Barrie.

Yes, the Vacuflush is the cats meow. A word of caution though, advise all landlubbers to be careful with your system. We had a guest try to flush an enormous amount of toilet paper combined with a rather large bowel movement. It didn't turn out well. The hole in the bottom of the head is only 1-1/4" or so in diameter. It took me a week with a rounded off coat hanger, a pump-out station, as well as a strong stomach to clear that clog.
For future reference on vacuflush, I had a similar issue. I did 2 things that made it a quick fix in the future.

1. I added a water shutoff right next to the bowl so that I could open the suction without adding water.
2. I always keep a gallon of white vinegar under the sink. Add some to the line and wait an hour or so, and voila, clog no more.
Thanks guys for the real world advise, very appreciated.
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"

snowman
Registered user
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:14 am

Re: Project "Tri Fly"

Post by snowman » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:19 am

Love this thread! Always good info and way to go Barrie!! Really coming along and looking good!

User avatar
Big D
Ultimate User
Posts: 2820
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 10:39 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Project "Tri Fly"

Post by Big D » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:04 am

Looking good Barrie. Keep up the good work.
1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year

User avatar
Barrie
Moderate User
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:40 pm

Re: Project "Tri Fly"

Post by Barrie » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:06 am

Misty wrote:Hey Barrie, good to see you on track! Winter can be cruel up there! Some thoughts... Above your sink near the fan and upper right corner was a drip spot for me. (flybridge bolt overhead too) Make sure those are sealed up tight unless you like green fur mold on your breakfast cereal, party crackers etc... Personally the size of the vacuflush system, and being electrical not mechanical and perfect vacuums exist only in space are issues to weigh. I have hand crank windows in my truck so, consider the source. You also drive a jag so probably read electrical diagrams to relax at night LOL.
About the leaks, I had the fly bridge wall removed so I could reseal and re-bed all the brass stove type bolts (most of them were green and dripping into the salon). I re-bedded them with thickened resin so they would stick in place when I put the fly bridge wall back on.

I still have one spot that continues to be a problem, it's the helm chair post. The holes pass through the deck and into the salon, if there are no bolts in the stand or if they are not sealed it will leak when water runs down the fly bridge and would drip in the area where the stove is originally.
Image

You can just see the back up board for the helm seat post top left of this picture above my fridge. It can leak and stain the headliner.
Image
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"

Post Reply