Project "Tri Fly"

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Barrie
Moderate User

Project "Tri Fly"

Post by Barrie »

Hi all, I thought I would share a little of my Tri Fly project now that I’ve made a little progress. The de-construction left me a little overwhelmed and maybe shocked at the size of the task before me.
Thank goodness my wife and I have good imaginations, and can see what will be, and not what currently is
I purchased the boat in Stoney Creek, near Hamilton Ontario. After buying it and joining this forum I discovered another member here passed on the opportunity to own this amazing vessel (best decision you’ve made I’m sure, you know who you are). I had it moved to my place this spring ($1200) Aylmer Ontario, and only had to remove the wheel at the upper bridge to keep it under 13’6”
To this point I’ve removed anything that was bolted or attached to the upper decks and any rotten or wet wood. There were many leaks from the decks and windows into the cabin destroying anything that was wood from the forward head and V-birth aft. Everything wood was removed to the fiberglass except the floor framing which was solid but unlevel.
I’ve filled all screw/bolt holes in the decks with resin, retextured the decks, repainted from the rub rail up and reinstalled the front portion of the railing. I removed the black stripe around the fly bridge wall and added a black stripe at window level (not sure if I like it or not yet)
After dealing with the damage from many leaks I spent much time re-bedding and sealing anything that passed through the decks (the fly bridge wall bolts and wire bundle were the worst culprits) the tub at the top of the salon stairs and windows all leaked as well.
The aft lower deck was a complete write off as was the wall and doorway above the aft bedroom. I decided it would be less work to close in the wall and add a couple emergency exit R.V windows. LOOK AWAY PURISTS)
Now pictures

In the beginning
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
K4282
Moderate User

Re: Project "Tri Fly"

Post by K4282 »

wow o wow you have done allot of work, congratulations on the progress, looks great and best part is when your done youll know what you have
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

YIPES!!! i had no idea the extent of the refit. that back deck is coming along nice. cannot wait to see more pics.
aaron.
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

Thanks guys, I've been all summer getting to this point.
I feel like I've turned a corner and am now making some advances.
The back deck now has 3 layers of glass on it (2x mat and 1x roving). I have to cut the engine room vent tube holes and a couple openings for access hatches. I'm heading inside for the interior and engines for the winter :)
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

That is an incredible challenge Barrie.:shock: When I first saw your post I must admit I thought this could be another case of an abandoned well intentioned project, but from what I see of your progress my mind has changed. GREAT WORK!!. Keep going, and you will find the people on this site will provide all the encouragement and support you will need to help get you there. I will send you a PM regarding the engines and parts I have available from my repower project. :wink: Jimbo.
Reel Easy
Sporadic User

Post by Reel Easy »

This is great to see. Another Trojan being saved from the shredder. Keep up the good work and keep the pics coming. We all need inspiration this winter.
Dustin
78 F-32 Express Hard top twin 360s Abyss
1999 360 Express twin 7.4
Catawba Island, Ohio
MattSC
Moderate User

Post by MattSC »

You're doing a great job! Keep plugging along. It took me close to two years to finish my repairs on my 26. The Tri-fly is much much larger, my hats off to you. Trust me, it'll be worth all of the work when you're done. Please keep the photos coming.
What kind of paint did you use on your window frames? They came out really nice.
Best of luck,
Matt
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. I have been taking many pictures both before and after and if someone needs to know what's behind a wall or buried behind something I will do my best to help with pictures.
I've been watching other’s refits and know the forums standards are pretty high, I will attempt to uphold the Trojan name.

The paint I’ve been using is 2 part acrylic enamel, I’ve painted cars in the past and prefer a base clear, but that was going to be too expensive for the amount of painting required on this. (the jag in one picture I did a couple years ago).
Here are the window frames. I had them blasted, then I had to tig weld them back together, they fell apart while being blasted. Then sprayed with epoxy sealer and black acrylic enamel
Also, I have cut and am test fitting the bulkheads at the foot of the aft beds and the bathroom/kitchen wall.
Once I’m happy with the fitment I will tab them in place.

The hole mess is now covered for the winter, to keep snow and ice off my new paint and so I can keep some heat inside for my inside winter work (interior/driveline)
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Barrie, Great Work!

Is that a footwell for the upper helm that is extending down into the salon? - or am I looking at it incorrectly? I don't recall that being standard in Tru-Fly's.

Rick
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

sorry, meant Tri-Fly's
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

rickalan35 wrote:Barrie, Great Work!

Is that a footwell for the upper helm that is extending down into the salon? - or am I looking at it incorrectly? I don't recall that being standard in Tru-Fly's.

Rick
Thanks Rick
The footwell is for the hatch/door into the salon area
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Yep, I was looking at it incorrectly. Thks
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Holy Moley! I just posted in another thread that I do a lot of work on MY boat. Seeing this, I am ashamed! I repair, replace, and upgrade things all the time, but gut an entire boat and practically start over?

Awesome work Barrie.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

Thanks P-dogg, I can’t wait till I get to the “maintain” point
I have seen that you, and many others are very knowledgeable about all things marine, and specifically Trojan.
When I do get to the “systems” part of my overhaul I know I will have questions for the more seasoned :) members on the forum.
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
Lizz

Post by Lizz »

Oh my gosh, I'm inspired!
Proud Owner of a 1976 Hot Mess of a F32 Trojan
Refit started Sept 2015. Finish Date: TBD...