Project "Tri Fly"

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Captain Chill

Re: Project "Tri Fly"

Post by Captain Chill »

Wow, big project! Godspeed Barrie.

For a second there I thought the stove next to the fridge with the pans on it was a deep fryer! :shock: I was like, this guy is planning on cooking wings n' french fries onboard! :D
'The Pacific Chill' - F26 -1976
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

Lol, I do like the way you think Captain!
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

Donhollys wrote:Wow Barrie!
Very enthusiastic project. It appears that you're not holding back. Nice job!
Thanks Donholly
It's become a second full time job, only funner?!
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

Awesome Barrie. 8) Is that my port side 400 in place? What did you do about the Starboard engine? rebuild with your old block? Which drives are you using? Looks great.
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

jimbo36 wrote:Awesome Barrie. 8) Is that my port side 400 in place? What did you do about the Starboard engine? rebuild with your old block? Which drives are you using? Looks great.
Hi Jim, thanks!
Yup that's the one, just scrubbed it down, changed a couple seals and an oil change, ready to go!
I'm using my original drives.
The starboard is out for machining (one of my old blocks with your heads and accessories)
I'm going to assemble it when it comes back, all in, with machine costs, new pistons, bearings, gaskets it will run about $2500.

One complication I did run into is my motors had a regular automotive type water pump and a single out Sherwood auxiliary pump, and yours, as you know, were no block water pump and dual output Sherwood pump. Not a big deal, as your engines had everything needed for the conversion which looks like a better system anyway.
You did ask which was mine and I never did look...until now :)
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

Yes, the 440's I used to repower my F36 came with closed cooling so, a single pump for the manifolds, heat exchangers and oil coolers. (November sea trial photo)Those duel pocket Sherwood's pump lots of water. I came across some extra parts for them that you can probably use. Send me your mailing address and I will send them to you. Jim.
Attachments
20151105_110833_resized_1.jpg
20151105_110833_resized_1.jpg (167.14 KiB) Viewed 7467 times
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

I sent a PM, or an email, or something :)
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
RonW

Post by RonW »

Hi Barrie

Something that I've done on all my previous engine rebuilds, and I wish I could now on my current engines (but I can't get at my current installed engines) to do this is......
.....make up a fitting and a +/- 3' length of high temp pressure hose that fits the oil pan drain plug. Run the hose up to the top of the engine and mount it with a threaded plug. Hydraulic hose shops can make this for you with crimped on end fittings. When it's time to change the oil, you attach a (really cheap) 12V impeller pump (or vacuum pump) and you draw every last drop of oil out of the bottom of the pan. After doing this, I could run all season and the oil in my 454's still looked clear.
Hopefully, you still have room to get under and do this.

Ron
PS.... awesome work.... I looked at the original pictures and thought.... no way. You've made us all amazed. Looking forward to meeting you.
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

Thanks Ron, that sounds like a great time saver, and if something is easy to do you'll do it more often.
I think it's still do-able with little extra work

Love your big boat, wish I had picked up something a little bigger :D
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
Misty
Sporadic User

Post by Misty »

Nice job. You have the 400s right? I do anyway. Less than 100 hr on rebuild but NOT looking THAT shiny. Awesome.
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

Misty wrote:Nice job. You have the 400s right? I do anyway. Less than 100 hr on rebuild but NOT looking THAT shiny. Awesome.
Yes 400's
That's just how I roll :)
The one in the picture is a used engine from a forum friend, I just cleaned it up and replaced some gaskets and seals ect.
Another engine is out for machine work the I will assemble it....It will be shiny too!
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
Misty
Sporadic User

Post by Misty »

You'll be stylin'. I really hope the 400s last me awhile. I cruise slow but rev up occasionally to pump the oil around. Both have less than 100hr on rebuilds but my stbd needs carb adjusted. That and replacing the crusty exhaust hoses (look like 3.5" at the elbow outlet. Do you know the size?) and I'm good for my early season cruise schedule.
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Wow Barrie, you've come a long way. I just went back to the beginning of this thread again and what a difference from the first set of pics. I remember thinking OMG when I first saw those but you've done great. Keep up the good work.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

I’ve still been puttering away on my project.
I’ve got the port engine in, wired and plumbed except for the actual Sherwood pump, I was going to rebuild it before installing it.

I’ve rebuilt the aft bunks and surrounding walls (something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue). and installed some 120v ac circuits.

My wife thought it would be very handy to have a tub/shower in the aft head, sooo……I’m building a fiberglass tub from a mold I made …yikes, I needed more projects

I also started on the kitchen cabinets. I’m using a frameless box type of construction (I’ve built enough Ikea furniture without instructions to know how this works) have to make the faces and doors yet. But I have the basic layout done I THINK.
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Barrie, having been a general contractor and having built a few race cars, I think I have a pretty good understanding of what you are accomplishing. Your boat is going to be outstanding!!!
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's