NEW BOAT PURCHASE

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

gdcardoza

NEW BOAT PURCHASE

Post by gdcardoza »

Hey all,

Many of you may or may not know that I recently sold my 10 Meter to another Forum member! And that I have now found my next boat and will be finalizing the deal next weekend in Florida for it!

1990 Trojan 12 Meter International
6-71TIB Detroit Diesels (485hp each)

Here's a few pictures!

She will spend the winter in Delray Beach, FL and then will be shipped up here to Ontario come spring and spend the rest of her life on Lake Simcoe!
Graham D. Cardoza
President
Overboard Marine Services Ltd
El L Sea
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: NEW BOAT PURCHASE

Post by El L Sea »

Congratulations. Nice looking boat.
El L Sea
Fort Myers, FL
1988 Trojan 12m International Sport Fisherman
2017 Boston Whaler 130 Tender w/ 40HP Mercury
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Nice boat . Are you going to run it home or truck it ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

prowlersfish wrote:Nice boat . Are you going to run it home or truck it ?
If it were me I would run it!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
Away On Busine$$
Moderate User

Post by Away On Busine$$ »

Hope you'll come and show me! Congrats!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Season is short, we make the best of it.
MADSIERRA

Post by MADSIERRA »

Nice ride Graham....sweet ride.
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

She's a looker for sure :)
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Great photos. Great purchase.

Sale of one Trojan in order to purchase another Trojan ......... priceless.
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

waiting for my invitation........

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Graham,

Love the palm trees in your photos. Temps here in Ontario today were in the thirties. brrrrrrrrrr. I think you should possibly consider treating yourself to two weeks in Delray Beach this coming January. Arrange for the marina to drop her in the water so you can stay aboard, before arranging to relocate her northward, later in the spring.

You're probably already set to make this change, but if not, see how your rear fender in the photo is attached to the aft rope cleat? The fender's tendency (due to it's attachment point being the aft rope cleat) is to float backward and potentially allow the aft corner of the boat to contact the dock?

I installed an additional, smaller "fender" cleat on both sides of my 340 express, 14 inches ahead of the aft cleat shown in your photos. Now my rear stock aft cleat is used only for lines. The two additional fender cleats handle only fenders.

Cheers

Rick
gdcardoza

Post by gdcardoza »

Thank you everyone!

Rick, I actually live in Ontario full time and I will actually be travelling down the Florida for two weeks this coming Dec/Jan and will be driving the boat up from where it is currently (Key Largo, FL) to Delray Beach, FL. I'm actually pretty excited for the trip!

I'll make sure to post some more photos of the boat when I first see it in person next weekend!
Graham D. Cardoza
President
Overboard Marine Services Ltd
tcollins2
2024 Forum Support
2024 Forum Support

Post by tcollins2 »

Agree with you on the extra fender cleat. Mine has them installed too. When using it though you have to be careful with the height of the fender that there is no pressure being applied to those fins.
1990 Trojan 12M International Express Detroit Diesels 6-71T's, 425HP
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

gdcardoza wrote:I'm actually pretty excited for the trip! I'll make sure to post some more photos of the boat when I first see it in person next weekend!
You bought a boat you have never seen? I'm just going to stop there before I get myself too much in trouble.
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Captain, I also bought my current boat (this past May) sight unseen. It's not the end of the world. Different strokes for different folks.

I used a credible broker. I had forty photos. I spoke with the owner. I paid for two unrelated surveys plus had possession of an older survey. The owner also agreed to let my surveyor drill test holes in the stringers (to look for moisture) and then repair them using the west system. Then I pulled the trigger and had her trucked home.

For some people that would not work. For me, it works fine. I've also bought five cars on Ebay. Again, I had many photos, paid for an autocheck report, had them taken to a nearby dealer and checked over at my expense, then agreed to the purchase.

So far, I've always been very satisfied. Love my new boat which turned out better than I'd hoped. I also accept the fact that nothing is ever perfect and there will always be something we might need to fix or change. Lets face it, we're always working or doing something on these Trojans of ours.

If the object to be purchased is what you want but yet located far away and therefore inconvenient to see in person, I don't believe you have to travel there to inspect it.

Rick
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Hi TCollins,

I see you're located in or near Huntington which is on the north shore of Long Island. With a twelve meter that must make for some fun boating. I was looking at Huntington Harbor in your area on google maps and besides the large West Shore Marina, there are about a zillion sailboats anchored on moorings (same situation in Northport Harbor). Must be a really great area to be in during the warm months. What do you like to do? There looks to be lots of protected boating if you don't want to run out into Long Island Sound. I could see you cruising over to the Stamford area as well.

Just wondering exactly what you meant regarding pressure on the fins. I'm assuming you're referring to the fact that the freeboard on both sides of the hull extends past the transom on these models and presents a "fin" appearance. If so, you're probably meaning that the fins are weaker structurally because they aren't supported by the transom (although lower down on the fin it is supported by the swim platform). I can sort of see what your referring to but hadn't thought about it before.

My Carver built Trojan (1994 Trojan 370 Express) has the fins but I wonder if they're different from the regular Trojan internationals. Don't know.

I think though, that the aft fender cleats that I installed are okay where they're located because the "fin" itself rises at an angle and my fender cleat is located near the top. Wish I had a photo. But I think that my cleat is high enough to avoid sideways pressure.

Phew, after re-reading this, I've gotten so technical, I'm not sure what I just said :)