Interior Ideas for 1976 F32

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Lizz

Re: Interior Ideas for 1976 F32

Post by Lizz »

I'm way too new to this to be a purist. The boat is still here because of you! But your photo resurfaced a mystery I thought I'd figured out. Looking at a gazillion boat photos made me wonder why our boat has the head across from the galley. Most of them have it just past the galley on the same side. I had deduced that it's because ours has an open back. But I thought you said that the tiki boat had been open originally and enclosed later. Anyone know?
Proud Owner of a 1976 Hot Mess of a F32 Trojan
Refit started Sept 2015. Finish Date: TBD...
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

what is the wood that extends off the front of the bow do
I use it to spear sailboats, and to hold my anchor.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
Lizz

Post by Lizz »

P-Dogg wrote:
what is the wood that extends off the front of the bow do
I use it to spear sailboats, and to hold my anchor.
Laughing.
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

Yes ive seen 2 or 3 open/Sportfishers, watched a couple youtube videos last night actually and it seems most the open models had the head oposite the galley and a bunk bed forward and a couple extra windows and hatches. The tiki bar boat seems very original in this aspect of what is where, its also a 1973 maybe they changed things in later years?
Lizz wrote:I'm way too new to this to be a purist. The boat is still here because of you! But your photo resurfaced a mystery I thought I'd figured out. Looking at a gazillion boat photos made me wonder why our boat has the head across from the galley. Most of them have it just past the galley on the same side. I had deduced that it's because ours has an open back. But I thought you said that the tiki boat had been open originally and enclosed later. Anyone know?
Lizz

Post by Lizz »

Thanks for helping try to figure it out!
Reel Easy
Sporadic User

Post by Reel Easy »

I have a 78 open with the same layout as your 76. Head opposite galley
Dustin
78 F-32 Express Hard top twin 360s Abyss
1999 360 Express twin 7.4
Catawba Island, Ohio
Lizz

Post by Lizz »

Reel Easy wrote:I have a 78 open with the same layout as your 76. Head opposite galley
Do you have pics? I'd love to see it!
Reel Easy
Sporadic User

Post by Reel Easy »

Haha no you wouldn't. It's worse than yours when you got it. We are in the middle of some interior work too. Besides I can't seem to post pics either.
Dustin
78 F-32 Express Hard top twin 360s Abyss
1999 360 Express twin 7.4
Catawba Island, Ohio
Lizz

Post by Lizz »

Reel Easy wrote:Haha no you wouldn't. It's worse than yours when you got it. We are in the middle of some interior work too. Besides I can't seem to post pics either.
Go ahead! Misery loves company.
I'm using Google photo app. All my photos are there, but only my boat photos are public. You can post a link to the collection or just one photo. Not as fun as seeing them in the feed but easier than resizing. https://goo.gl/photos/Psd4LvzwnaY7BZqLA
Bubbabuda
Sporadic User

Post by Bubbabuda »

Lizz,

I finished a total re-fit, remodel on my 1975 F-32. I removed 95% of the interior, cleaned, replaced most of it. By far the headliner was the hardest. I designed and installed the galley. The hardwood floors look great. I did all the sewing on the soft goods, forward stateroom, dinette, sofa-sleeper. All new marine grade wiring, plumbing, water heater, tanks, marine elegance head, heat/ac. Also got rid of the chain drive steering.
If you look on my photo bucket you can see before and after pics. If you have any questions, I will answer you back. Good luck on your project. I also had major structural work on bridge deck 10X10 of new balsa core. New decks were also installed. Rick
Lizz

Post by Lizz »

Bubbabuda wrote:Lizz,

I finished a total re-fit, remodel on my 1975 F-32. I removed 95% of the interior, cleaned, replaced most of it. By far the headliner was the hardest. I designed and installed the galley. The hardwood floors look great. I did all the sewing on the soft goods, forward stateroom, dinette, sofa-sleeper. All new marine grade wiring, plumbing, water heater, tanks, marine elegance head, heat/ac. Also got rid of the chain drive steering.
If you look on my photo bucket you can see before and after pics. If you have any questions, I will answer you back. Good luck on your project. I also had major structural work on bridge deck 10X10 of new balsa core. New decks were also installed. Rick
Wow. Just wow. The end result is way impressive. That you did it all yourself is amazing. We've talked about wood floors but I thought it would be too much wood but it really doesn't seem like it on your boat. Is the counter solid surface? Tile backsplash? It's beautiful. What did you use for the headliner? Another member mentioned plans to use either starboard or lexan. Not sure what we're doing yet. So many decisions for such a small space!
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

Bubbabuda wrote:Lizz,

As Lizz said, Wow, just Wow
That is an impressive job. It would appear you brought that back from the grave.
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
Bubbabuda
Sporadic User

Post by Bubbabuda »

Lizz,

Thanks for the complements. It does feel good to see the transformation and doing them yourself. To answer Barrie, she had a date with a chainsaw in her near future. She was rough. The counter material is laminate. I purchased the cabinets, counters and glass back splash from Home Depot and Lowe's. The lower cabinets had to be taken apart to remove a section of the side so I could contour to the hull flair and epoxy back together. Also I used the cardboard box they came in to trace a template for the stringer that runs through them and the hull flair. Had to customize the drawer guides to work with the composite sink. The uppers were standard. All I had to do to install micro, was to remove one door. I also relocated the water heater from under the helm to under the galley sink. All plumbing is dome in PEX and shark bite connectors.This made it easier to keep all the plumbing on the port side. The headliner I used was regular " headliner cloth" material un-insulated with the patterned little holes in it. (Defender Marine) The material and the interior should be warm so material can be stretched. Use stainless steel staples. Three people pulling and tugging to get all wrinkles out. Leave material long until you are happy with the look, then trim excess material and install teak molding to hide staples.
If I can make a suggestion when you look at flooring, go and pick up the free samples in flooring dept and bring down and put inside the boat so you can see what goes better together with existing wood and light conditions. I used the 3/4 x 4 hardwood boards. Be generous with the nails...
Last year I customized the teak swim platform from 20 inches long to 38 inches. I installed a slide off dingy davit holding a 10" inflatable. When underway with the cover on, I get the station-wagon effect with exhaust coming back into the cockpit. So my next project is to install side exhaust.
Hope this rambling helps in your re-fit... Rick
Lizz

Post by Lizz »

Thanks for the suggestions, Rick. It makes me feel really lucky to have so much of the original interior intact. We were missing some things, but we went to the previous owner's house Sunday (for those of you who missed it, the boat was given to us by a friend who had inherited it from his dad) and found out that he had kept everything he'd ever taken off the boat. It was like Christmas. We found the drawers he'd taken out when he installed the ac, more ladders, spare parts, and a lot of random things my husband was happy to see so I guess they're either expensive or hard to find. Heck, he even kept the original engines. We filled my car and are going back this weekend. Woo hoo!
Bubbabuda
Sporadic User

Post by Bubbabuda »

Lizz,

Bringing a boat back to life is a labor of love. But it was well worth it. It also kept me out of trouble...

I have some parts the I salvaged of a 1978 F-32. One is 3 teak galley drawers, table with leg, bridge ladder, sliding door, and complete taft rail for cockpit. Others items not listing.

The work is easy when you can vision the completed job. The F-32 is a great platform to start. Good luck. Rick