Interior Ideas for 1976 F32

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Lizz

Interior Ideas for 1976 F32

Post by Lizz »

Hello! We have a 76 F32 that we're completely overhauling. My husband is the boat guy and is taking care of all the mechanical and electrical stuff. Once that's done, we'll tackle the interior. I'm looking for any ideas you all have for the cabin. It's in surprisingly good shape. The wood is beautiful. We'll be refitting the kitchen and bathroom, replacing the headliner, getting new cushions, etc. Have any of you taken on a project like this? Did you do anything that you're really happy you did? I don't know very much about boats, but this baby really needed us. Thanks for any advice.
Proud Owner of a 1976 Hot Mess of a F32 Trojan
Refit started Sept 2015. Finish Date: TBD...
Barrie
Moderate User

Re: Interior Ideas for 1976 F32

Post by Barrie »

Hey, I'm very interested in what ideas you get.
I'm also doing a overhaul, and could use some ideas on what to do or not do, as well as some great design insight.

Good luck with your project
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
Lizz

Post by Lizz »

Thanks! Looking forward to sharing ideas!
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

My friend equipped his with a bar and a tap, all beach/tiki bar theme
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

Well, Ya, a bar and tap, that's mandatory
Friends as well
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Welcome to the forum Lizz. You will get lots of great help here. Just ask away. Searching will of course yield lots of good info too. And if you can post a picture of something that you have a question about, it is of tremendous help to those trying to answer.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
Lizz

Post by Lizz »

Love the tiki bar theme! It seems really bright, too. I was afraid all that dark wood would make it cave like, but I also knew I'd never have the heart to paint it. And thanks for the welcome. I've been lurking for a month or so. Really nice people here!
Lizz

Post by Lizz »

We have "before" photos posted here: https://goo.gl/photos/Psd4LvzwnaY7BZqLA A friend inherited it from his dad, and it was either give it to us or scrap it. Not much in the way of "after" photos yet. We've spend a fair amount of time cleaning and cleaning out. Our first big project is rebuilding the back deck and everything underneath. I may smell like teak oil permanently.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Congrats on the new boat . While is sure needs some TLC there looks to be a lot of potential . I see in the photos of the engine area that there is a set of Cummins diesels That's a big plus IMO . I also see the boat is in Little Creek A great boating area . Good luck and please ask any questions .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Lizz

Post by Lizz »

Thanks, prowlersfish! Yes, the engines pushed us to yes when they offered. Are you local? Have you used the marina for any work? We're going to pull her out of the water in the spring - I hope - to get the bottom cleaned, or whatever the nautical term is for scraping years of barnacles off. It would be nice to be able to get it done there.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I have been to the marina but have not used the yard . I have been over to Cobbs helping some friends . I keep my boat over in Hampton and haul out in Hampton also . Ken (on this site ) kept a boat where your at but I know he haul out at Cobbs at least once . Maybe he has some input .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

what are your ideas and thoughts for the galley and the head? counter refresh and faucets are a snap once everything is taken apart. as for the teak interior...PLEASE DO NOT PAINT OVER IT!!! it lends character and warmth to the interior. painting over teak is a travesty!!!
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
Lizz

Post by Lizz »

Hello aaronbecknek! Agree completely on the wood. Once I started cleaning it, I knew I could never paint it. It's just so beautiful.

My goal for the galley is to create a comfortable space for friends to hang out. We're not really concerned about sleeping space for a bunch of people. And cooking isn't a high priority either. Gosh, I don't cook at home. And I'm still learning what we need to get to underneath. And what we need to get to really FAST!

I am hoping to lighten the galley up with the cushions and good lighting. Love LEDs. And as much as we can without compromising the structure, we're going to open up the v-berth so it's part of the galley space rather than a separate room. We've talked about using the space between the dinette and v-berth (currently a closet) for a recessed tv that swivels when raised (we've already taken out the wood above it) and reconfiguring the dinette so that the table slides toward the v-berth and the other dinnette seat reclines. If that's totally confusing, there's a crude drawing in my before photos. Yes, my husband is a saint. He's spent the past two months answering endless questions that start with "Could we...." because I know nothing about boats.

The couch is actually bunk beds, which means that the couch seat is too low. I want to raise it up as much as I can to create a comfortable line of sight with the dinette, even if that means giving up the bunk functionality. Still wresting with how to create table space there for drinks and such.

Re the head, I'm not sure. I'd love to create a space that is water resistent enough to forgo the shower curtain. Aside from the wallcovering and faucet, it's in remarkably good shape. But I'm not in love with any of it. And there are lots of things more pressing.

My kitchen dilemma is the counter top. Any ideas? It seems like everything is too heavy or too rigid. I thought about stainless steel, but when I saw it on another boat, I thought it looked too cold.

All that being said, we're having a ball.
vabeach1234
Moderate User

Post by vabeach1234 »

I was at Bay Point for 9 years and have since moved to Hampton. Seeing how Bay Point is part of Little Creek Marina and i have a 26' boat they could lift be with their fork lifts, however you are working in a paved parking lot with some car traffic at Little Creek marina. I've hauled out at Cutty Sark as well which is okay if you're in and out quick but the owners seem to cater to the restaurant more than the boat owners. Cobbs in my opinion is more of a working boat yard. That's all they do and they have a pretty good facility. It's a gravel lot so you don't have to put a tarp down when sanding the bottom. Cutty Sark and Cobbs prices are pretty close when I hauled out, where they get you is the daily charge for being on their property. I believe Cobbs once had a winter discounted rate or a monthly rate vs and daily rate. Other than pressure washing the bottom once hauled out, I did all my own work for the most part so I can't speak for labor/mechanics.

Ken
Ken
1972 Trojan F26 Express
1985 Dell Quay Dory 13
Hampton, VA
http://s853.photobucket.com/user/vabeac ... ojan%20F26
Lizz

Post by Lizz »

Thanks, Ken. It's good to know what to look out for. I don't know if we'll do any of the bottom work ourselves - hats off to you for doing that. I guess it depends on how much energy we have left after we do everything else!