Interior Ideas for 1976 F32

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

K4282
Moderate User

Re: Interior Ideas for 1976 F32

Post by K4282 »

The previous owner of the boat had primed allot of the wood so unfortunately it was half ruined. Its a party boat, and what better on a party boat than a bar and a tap haha, She only makes a half dozen or so trips from the dock a year. Mine is original teak, a little dark, cetol natural instead of the dark stain will brighten her up if I ever get around to it
Lizz

Post by Lizz »

Cetol was new to me - like everything else about boats! Read about it on another forum and it sounds like a terrific product. Right now I'm just cleaning and oiling the wood inside. Gosh, it's dry! I might try it on the exterior wood.
Proud Owner of a 1976 Hot Mess of a F32 Trojan
Refit started Sept 2015. Finish Date: TBD...
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Well Liz, Congratulations. Every new Trojan being refitted is a heartwarming topic on this forum. I assume when you refer to the galley you mean the salon, the galley being where you cook and the line between the two being somewhat invisible :)

I must admit the fact that I've been through sixteen, mostly happy years with my 1974 TriCabin and a member of this forum during much of that time, discouraged me from any serious shopping for other brands and encouraged me to remain a Trojan family member when we sold the TriCabin and bought a new boat. But our new Trojan (1994) has no teak!! For many of us on this forum, the teak in Trojans is like an endangered species.

We were very fortunate and purchased a well cared for boat (TriCabin) and for many years, we worked mostly on the exterior teak (that job in itself was a handful) I used Natural Cetol. I wasn't happy with what I found to be an artificial shine with Gloss Cetol. I also found that the Gloss Cetol showed off any imperfections in the sanding job that I'd done (but it's also according to the taste of the user, isn't it)

When working on exterior teak surfaces, I always sanded the entire surface completely clear of all former finish. When I was down to the raw teak, I applied at least six coats of Natural Cetol. I then found that it would last for two seasons and then I would add two coats (if the sun had not managed to break through anywhere). I would eventually make the mistake of not getting additional coats on before I had a break through in the Cetol from either the sun or from traffic. Then it was sand it all down to the bare teak again and start anew.

I loved how easy the Cetol was to apply and I was very content with the way it looked and it's hardiness. But (in my experience and opinion) it will indeed require maintenance as described and I do believe the initial base coat after sanding needs those six applications. I'm sure there will be other thoughts on this subject from other members.

I see (or at least assume you do from the photos) that you already have factory air conditioning. That's a big plus as I had to do an install. I also installed Sealand Vacuflush toilets. Although we did a complete makeover on the galley, we kept the Princess stove as we liked it.

By the way, segwaying from Bocknek to Becknek is pretty amusing.

All the best,

Rick
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
Lizz

Post by Lizz »

Thanks for the encouragement, Rick. I does feel like family here on the forum. And thanks for clarifying terms - I have a lot to learn! Luckily, my husband grew up with boats on the gulf coast of Mississippi. Their family boat was the 60ft version of the one we have now, so he has a great base of knowledge for our refit. Which gives me plenty of time to sit in the *salon* and think about how great it will be.

Most of the exterior wood didn't have any finish on it at all. Just some peeling varnish and gray wood. So prepping for the Cetol shouldn't be too hard. Refinishing the steps to the fly bridge and the rail around the back gave me lots of hope - they look amazing. The challenge mostly has been figuring out what's what - solid wood, veneer, or marine plywood.

Do you have photos of your salon? I'd love to see it. Do any of the changes I mentioned fly in the face of logic?
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

its rare to see those open salon style F32's Thats what the TikiBar refit boat was, I have the regular F32 now
The open model at some point was enclosed
Lizz

Post by Lizz »

We talked about the pros and cons of enclosures. I pushed for keeping as much outside space as possible. I'm in it for sunshine and the breeze! On cold, rainy days, I'll just stay at home. But is there something I'm missing? Or are there advantages I don't know about?
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

other than personal preference probably not, probably stays a little dryer enclosed in the salon, and that Cetol is great, 6 coats is proper and to really make it last throw some cetol clear over the top, youll have a deep rich finish that will last many years, the open model here is on its 3rd year with cetol and it still looks great, I wouldnt waste my time with teak oil especially on exterior, once the sun gets to it it will look bad after a couple weeks
Lizz

Post by Lizz »

Thanks. We've been using teak oil on the wood to go under the back deck. I used marine varnish on the fly bridge ladder steps and on the rail around the back, but it seems like folks on the forum aren't big fans of varnish. It looks really pretty - guess we'll see how well it lasts. One person noted at the Cetol was good for filling raised grain. Some of the wood inside is perfectly smooth, but you can feel the grain elsewhere - the bathroom door, for example. But it all looks like the same wood. Would you use Cetol inside, too? Oiling the inside is really just a stop gap measure for me. Replacing the headliner is going to make a big mess, I'm afraid. But after that's done, I'll do something more permanent.
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

I would and I have used Cetol inside, it will suspect it will out live the boat, I prefer cetol natural and the clear to give it allot of depth and add the polmer to anyplace you walk and could potentially get slippery, here are steps with 4 coats cetol natural and 3 cleat and the gunwale with 4 coats cetol light (kind of orangy) and no clear 4 years later, same boat 1973 F32 open salon
Lizz

Post by Lizz »

Wow - that looks great. Thanks for being so specific.
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Here are links to my 'wood finishes' gallery:
Wood Finish examples (part 1)
https://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/view ... f=1&t=3206

Wood Finish examples (part 2)
https://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/view ... =1&t=12738

I have been using Cetol (regular) for years on my 'under foot' teak, and get great durability out of it. With an initial 4-5 coats on the swim platform, I touch up and add a coat (or maybe 2) every 3-4 years. The wood that is out of the weather (speaker boxes and other stuff on flybridge) have only every been done once (3 coats I think), about 15 years ago.

Cetol Gloss should only be used over top of one of the other Cetol products - not directly on raw wood. Also, Cetol Gloss should not be used on a surface that people will be walking on, as it can get slippery when wet.
Last edited by captainmaniac on Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

Cetol Gloss should only be used over top of one of the other Cetol products - not directly on raw wood. Also, Cetol Gloss should not be used on a surface that people will be walking on, as it can get slippery when wet.
+1 on using over other cetol product IE cetol natural, light etc 4 coats minimum(as described on the can) and for any walking surface just add polymerer non skid before applying, work great, the directions suggest sprinkling over the wet cetol but it comes out uneven, much better to mix in to the last coat you apply
Lizz

Post by Lizz »

So is marine varnish the scourge of finishes?
Lizz

Post by Lizz »

captainmaniac, the wood finishes gallery is really helpful. Great reference. I'm really going to show my inexperience here, but what is the wood that extends off the front of the bow do? It looks like it's holding an anchor, but since not all boats have one, I'm guessing there's more to it. Maybe having guests walk the plank? Recreating a scene from Titanic?
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

Lizz wrote:So is marine varnish the scourge of finishes?
Not in the least.......did the taff rails and bridge steps on our f32 with 10 coats of helmsman spar varnish....looks like art work.....I have done other boats the same, a lot of work but well worth it......on the bridge steps, they sell some clear see thru non skid tape that works fine over the varnish.......cetol for the swim platform, no clear, a bit orange but not slippery, same for the boarding steps on the cockpit coaming.......