1976 F36 Tri Cab Water Heater swap

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

mike0469

1976 F36 Tri Cab Water Heater swap

Post by mike0469 »

Greetings Trojan folks. I just purchase my first large boat and am in the process of upgrading some systems so I can enjoy it next Spring. The boat has an 18gal electric water heater. I am considering swapping it out to an 11 gal w/heat exchanger to heat from engine as well. My concern is the following. I have twin Chrysler M400's w/raw water cooling. These things only run about 140 degrees because the system is not sealed. I looked at the sherwood pump and there does not seem to be a port to tap into to connect a line to the water heater; also, was looking at the thermostat and there does not look like a large enough plug to remove to install a hose barb there for the return. My question: Are there any 1/2" plugs to install hose barbs for flow to the water heater exchanger? If not, can I Tee a couple of hoses and get enough flow to heat the water? The water heater is usually set around 120 degrees, so if the engine only heated the water to 110-120, that would be fine. Just see no need of heating water from electricity if the engine can provide a shower at the end of the day from running. I have read almost half way through all the past post and have not seen this question asked yet. Has anyone done this? If so, is it worth trying or just go all electric? Thanks ! Mike
rickalan35
Moderate User

Re: 1976 F36 Tri Cab Water Heater swap

Post by rickalan35 »

Congratulations on your recent tricabin purchase, Mike. I'm sure you'll enjoy her.

I can't comment on your hot water tank question though, because I didn't go in that direction when I replaced my own tank.

It seems to me that your current 18 gallon tank is pretty big for that boat and if it's located where mine was in my former 1974, I don't know how they squeezed it into that space.

I'm sure that some of the other forum members will be able to help you out.

Rick
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
mike0469

Post by mike0469 »

Rick,

Thanks for the welcome ! I am glad to see the pride of Trojan owners on this site. That says a lot about the brand. I feel very comfortable with my decision to purchase this boat. I am looking forward to doing some traveling next year. You are correct with the location of the water heater. PO had removed the generator, so access to the heater is wide open. I did have to take the old heater sleeve off the tank to fit it through the door! My boat has no holding tank, so I am installing the smaller water heater and holding tank in that space, also, putting a 110V/12V deep freezer in the generator space....I will eat good while boating ! Ha! Placing my Washer/Dryer unit under back hatch, below ladder. Everything in the boat is original and in great shape for 40yrs old; no one has butchered it !

Thanks,

M
Flyboy
Sporadic User

Post by Flyboy »

Welcome and Congrats on your new boat.
I do not know much about the Tri Cabs, but I have a 10 meter International. My water heater is located in the engine compartment, and after running for a bit and sitting around for a few hours, the heat in the engine compartment heats the water enough to make it luke warm. You may not have to plumb it in it warm water is good enough.
1981 10 meter Trojan International
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

I am about to put an 11 gal in my 84 tricab as soon as the water heater is delivered and I will be using raw water to augment the heaters heating water. That said I have Crusader 270s and the manual makes it clear how to do it. Was going to do the same with my Chry 318s on my f28. I have a diagram and will try to get this old mind to remember to send it to you on how to hook the Chryslers up. I know in both Crusader and Chryslers you will have to use a T coming out of intake manifold on the Chrysler. a nipple and tee will go in where the temperature sender is at on the right front top of the intake with the sensor going into the side of the tee and the top of the tea a 5/8 barb to the water heater. Now comes the part you really asked about, the other hose connects to the top of the circulation water pump, there are plugs there but as you say they are too small, or so it seems, for the 5/8 size you need. I would suggest you could have a machine shop drill and NPT tap the uppermost hole, problem solved. The Crusaders have the large plug in the circulation pump.

The diagram I have is how a Chrysler was plumbed for the heater in a vehicle which would be the same. :)
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
mike0469

Post by mike0469 »

Thanks Larry. I followed the 2 hoses from the T-stat. Looks like one is a by-pass back to the inlet; the other one exits the exhaust bellows. Looks like I may be able to just run a hose from the T-stat to Heater and from the heater to exhaust bellows and just extend the loop of circulated water. I will not have a chance to install the heater until Christmas week. I will fire it up and see if it works and post the results. Thanks again.
AwayOnBusine$$
Moderate User

Post by AwayOnBusine$$ »

This sounds like a possible solution to my need for a new Hot Water Heater/Tank for my 76 F32. Do we have an idea as to the cost.
F32 Fly 1975
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

well the diagram I did not transmit today would indicate from the top of the water pump. It comes from the intake manifold to heat exchanger and back to top of water pump. It needs to pass via the water pump for a pressure differential. That is how the Crusader Chevy engines do it also.
Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

My apology, I no longer have the diagram for the 318/360 heater hose routing. But the routing is as I described from the intake manifold (sensor location) to heat exchanger then back to top of circulation water pump. The T stat insures the water in the intake is approximately 140 all the time. Water sent to the exhaust is a mixture of that temp water and raw water then out and around the exhaust manifold. I was going to do what you are doing with the 318s and was planning to have the pump drilled and tapped for the larger hose barb.
Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

i have a 1982 tri with a raritan (original) 20 gallon water heater. the large water heaters were standard on trojans above 32'. mine is located in a small storage compartment at the bottom of the forward cabin steps. it's a pain in the butt to drain for winterizing, but i love the capacity. i can turn on the heater when i begin to wash the boat and by the time i finish, i have hot water that lasts for sometimes two days after being switched off. 20 gallons of hot water is great for taking showers and doing the washing up plates and flat ware after a meal.
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
JasonBilly

Post by JasonBilly »

Fresh water tank with on demand pump, two 25 gal. Holding tanks ... 1976 SANDUSKY Ohio 30 TROJAN Express. Fly-bridge ... 1984 Gloucester Point Virginia 36 Trojan Tri Cabin. Tricabin .... 1988 cape may New Jersey 36 trojan f36
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by Moderator »

What Trojan do you own ?

Helping keep Trojan Yachts alive .
Forum Moderator
TrojanBoats.Net
Trojan Boater