Diesel refit ?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

gordd
Sporadic User

Diesel refit ?

Post by gordd »

Was just thinking out loud and am sure there is some older posts on here , but figured maybe get some updated thoughts on subject .F25 or similar cruiser with 318 , has anyone done a switch over to diesels ? What engines/drives would work for something like that. am familiar with Big rig diesels but not boat set up . I imagine even fuel tanks would need to be changed .
bjanakos
Moderate User

Re: Diesel refit ?

Post by bjanakos »

There was an extensive diesel project on there some time ago. Try searching for "Instant Fun".
tcollins2
2024 Forum Support
2024 Forum Support

Post by tcollins2 »

My 12 meter international had gas and the po changed over to Detroit diesels, he did not change the fuel tanks.
1990 Trojan 12M International Express Detroit Diesels 6-71T's, 425HP
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Good chance the tanks would have to be changed unless they have been changed before . If they are Galvanized you can not use them with diesel . If not Galvanized and in good shape you could reuse them . But the will need return lines installed . As far as tcollins2 12 meter reusing the tanks I suspect Trojan used the same tanks gas or diesel as many or most 12 meters had diesels . A diesel F25 cruiser would be rare if they ever made one . they did make a F25( or f24 ?) center console with diesel but they were rare .My F36 needed the tanks changed when converted to diesel .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
gordd
Sporadic User

Post by gordd »

Mine is original galvanized tank so would have to be changed . Any ideas type of diesel engines that would be appropriate for application ?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Your space is very limited so You may want to look at Yanmar ( BY260 ? )or maybe a Peninsular marine diesel (6.5) Yanmar would be my first pick for sure . Merc is offering VW diesels that could fit . Again Yanmar would be the best choice IMO .

Of course this would be a very $$$$$$ project
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Here is a great repower of a F32 done right .

http://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/viewtopic.php?t=8833
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
gordd
Sporadic User

Post by gordd »

Ty prowlersfish went thru topic and yes looks like lot of work . Would be interesting to see cost difference between new used . wonder if Bob at beacon has some in stock and prices on them . I do like my 74 f25 but 318 is old so refit wouldn't be such a bad idea . Would have to compare prices between states and Canada .
DAVIDLOFLAND
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by DAVIDLOFLAND »

Thanks for the compliment Prowlerfish! If anybody wants some testimony on a recent gas to diesel refit, I can tell 'em all about it. Just give me a call.
1977 F-32 INSTANT FUN "Just Add Water"
My Forever boat - O/O 30 years and counting
Yanmar 6BY3-260's
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Why do you want to switch? You may want to read a few of the article at http://www.yachtsurvey.com/GasDiesel.htm, and also do some further reading. I recently repowered. I went with plain ol' gas motors whose parts are cheap, and that I could fix myself. Something to keep in mind when going to diesels is that you step up to a turbocharger. That means that not only do you add the complexity of forced induction, you add an intercooler, more hoses, and more of everything.

To help you make up your mind, determine the cost of new gas vs. new diesel repower. Then factor in the presumed fuel savings of diesel. Depending how often you use your boat, you could spend the rest of your life recouping the added up-front cost of diesels. Don't forget to include the opportunity cost of the diesel price difference (What would you do with 8,000 gallons of gasoline right now instead?), the present value, and the future worth of all the expenditures. If you're not familiar with these terms, you can learn about them here: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/presentvalue.asp Someone summarized it long ago: A bird in the hand beats two in the bush.

About the only reasons I would switch would be because gasoline isn't readily available, or to get increased range, and I would do that by buying a diesel-powered boat......

On the other hand, if you're just up for a challenge, please post plenty of pictures!
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

And now for the rebuttal to what P-Dog said .( no worries I bet he expected it :mrgreen: ) .While much of what he said I can agree with . Diesels are not more complex in many cases . Turbos are simple and don't give you much trouble and not all diesels have them . With that said a lot diesels that would work well for this repower would have one . Intercooler or after cooler some have them some do not . The do require maintenance every few years . So you can have a natural aspirated diesel or a turbo or a turbo/aftercooled engine . Electronic diesels can be more complex , but no more then a EFI gas engine .

Now on Yachtsurvey , I will be nice and say it has some good info along with some strong opinions , some BS , so read between the lines and don't take it all for fact esp on some diesels .

Why Diesels ? its a lot more then just saving fuel . Diesel fuel is safer . Diesels are more dependable . But there is something more that can't be explained .You have to have owned one to understand . DAVIDLOFLAND knows RWS knows and I know . Its a feeling of confidence and more .

And a great Diesel site Boatdiesel.com
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
DAVIDLOFLAND
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by DAVIDLOFLAND »

No question about the 'feel' of a diesel boat. It is hard to explain until you're standing on one while it's running.

Regarding cost of my re-power, I compared brand new gas engines (350 chevy's), gears and controls to brand new diesel engines, gears and controls. It worked out about $38,000 gas vs. $54,000 diesel (basic components only). I would argue the value of the boat with new diesels is now at least $16k greater than the value it would have with new gasoline engines, and that value differential will only increase as time goes by.

Switching to those brand new Yanmars is one of the best decisions I have ever made.
1977 F-32 INSTANT FUN "Just Add Water"
My Forever boat - O/O 30 years and counting
Yanmar 6BY3-260's
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

DAVIDLOFLAND wrote:No question about the 'feel' of a diesel boat. It is hard to explain until you're standing on one while it's running.

Regarding cost of my re-power, I compared brand new gas engines (350 chevy's), gears and controls to brand new diesel engines, gears and controls. It worked out about $38,000 gas vs. $54,000 diesel (basic components only). I would argue the value of the boat with new diesels is now at least $16k greater than the value it would have with new gasoline engines, and that value differential will only increase as time goes by.

Switching to those brand new Yanmars is one of the best decisions I have ever made.

==========================================

+100

Also, when it's time to sell (not that we ever consider THAT) she'll go fast.

I repowered 10 years ago, and was between rebuilding my 454's, new Crusaders and new Yanmars.

Glad I chose the Yannies !

She is a WHOLE DIFFERENT BOAT !

Ask anyone on this forum who has run her; BOBCT or READY123

she starts instantly

runs at a far better running angle on plane

most efficient cruise WAS 15 kts with gas - is now 20-22 kts with diesel.

we can make a run to the keys in 8 hours and not refuel. With the gas engines and the time to refuel it was a 2 day trip !

and there's more.....

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED