New Member - Beginning of a Restoration Journal

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: New Member - Beginning of a Restoration Journal

Post by prowlersfish »

The price on the bottom work sounds ok , but its hard to say as it depends a lot on bottom condition . 8 hours just to pull a engine seems a lot but can happen if there is a lot of rusty stuff like shaft bolts and if a v-dive that adds to the fun . I must be missing something you said " take out a perfectly fine engine" and I know you said something about your mechanic working on the engine when its out . So why exactly are you pulling the engine ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Captain Chill

Post by Captain Chill »

prowlersfish wrote:The price on the bottom work sounds ok , but its hard to say as it depends a lot on bottom condition . 8 hours just to pull a engine seems a lot but can happen if there is a lot of rusty stuff like shaft bolts and if a v-dive that adds to the fun . I must be missing something you said " take out a perfectly fine engine" and I know you said something about your mechanic working on the engine when its out . So why exactly are you pulling the engine ?
All the bolts have no rust on them. He said it could take that long though if they are possibly stripped.

I didn't have any plans to do work on my engine. When he saw it though at the yard he said the gaskets look pretty rough and could cause a problem if not treated.

I'm only pulling the engine so that I can replace the engine seawater cooled seacock, paint bilge, install a new water tank, black water tank and water heater along with all new plumbing.
'The Pacific Chill' - F26 -1976
Captain Chill

Post by Captain Chill »

Here are some cabin pics of the first interior makeover I did. Going to change a lot on the next go around. Cantina/Christmas lights will be replaced by recessed lighting. Curtains will be replaced by double limo tint (so you can't see in at night even with the lights on.)

The fireplace space heater is a real charmer. :wink: Super realistic looking flames and just enough heat output for a short California winter.

DOUGNASH
Moderate User

Post by DOUGNASH »

Mood lighting, fur blanket & a fireplace

Captain chill must be a single dude :mrgreen:

Good luck with your project!
1985 13 Meter International Express w/ 8v71tti 462hp Detroits, 43' x 16'3"
1967 seavoyager
Moderate User

Post by 1967 seavoyager »

I'd put the second fuel tank back in. You'll want the range.
They'll pry a rotten plank from my cold dead fingers before i go "Tupperware". http://www.photobucket.com/restless
seavoyager36@hotmail.com

"Restless"
1967 Trojan 36' Sea Voyager Express
Captain Chill

Post by Captain Chill »

1967 seavoyager wrote:I'd put the second fuel tank back in. You'll want the range.
Hi Seavoyager, thanks for the opinion. I think I am going to pass on the 2nd gas tank as I need all the room I can get for live-abord necessities and that engine cubby is pretty small. (Fresh water, black water, water heater, water filter, and generator.)

There are fuel docks all up and down the CA coast and at the Catalina/Channel islands. That's about all I'll be exploring in the years to come so I think I'll be ok on range.

Nice to have you along.
Captain Chill

Post by Captain Chill »

DOUGNASH wrote:Mood lighting, fur blanket & a fireplace

Captain chill must be a single dude :mrgreen:

Good luck with your project!
Yes sir, as I'm sure you know it's a little harder to settle down in our two big cities. :wink:
Captain Chill

Post by Captain Chill »

Engine removal success video.

Captain Chill

Post by Captain Chill »

Update.

The theme of this project is mechanical, electrical and plumbing simplicity.

I had a total of 4 thru-hulls going through the bottom.
1. Salt-water cooled engine
2. Unused Toilet waste discharge
3. Washdown/Bait tank
4. Unknown usage under V-Berth

I've canceled out 3 of the 4 thru-hulls and glassed them up. Now I only have 1 thru-hull for my engine to be cooled. This is a great piece of mind for me as I had my toilet discharge seacock platform spring a leak. As it was my first ever boat leak of my short boating career I think I lost about 10 years off my heart from pounding so hard. Luckily, I had my previously broken main mid-cabin bilge pump replaced a month before this happened. It worked flawlessly and kept me afloat for a day going off every 2.5 minutes like clockwork before a diver came and put splash zone underneath the boat to stop the leak. Video below of the situation.

Now, with only 1 thru-hull, if there is ever a leak I'll know exactly where it is coming from.
Captain Chill

Post by Captain Chill »

Update.

Old freshwater tank removed. Old 2nd gas tank removed. Old Plumbing from the depths of hell removed.
Before Starboard

After Starboard

These random holes will drive me crazy knowing that they're there

Where the 2nd gas tank was. The frame will fit my new freshwater tank. Portside

Gas tank. Wanted to remove this but found out there is no way to do this without taking up the floor. :( I'm going to clean it up as best as possible. Yes, that is a duct tape piece of wood giving support to the cockpit floor. Nice one PO! Portside :roll:

Exhaust and blower. Starboard

Video after engine was removed. :shock:
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

If you really wanted to remove that fuel tank you could cut it up with a sawsall. Cut it in half or quarters should then fit out just about any door or window!
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
Captain Chill

Post by Captain Chill »

Barrie wrote:If you really wanted to remove that fuel tank you could cut it up with a sawsall. Cut it in half or quarters should then fit out just about any door or window!
That'd be one way for sure. But not so sure how it would end up since it's about 80% full of fuel at the moment! haha I think there was a miscommunication. Let me explain.

I wanted to take the fuel tank out just to clean the inside and outside of it. I want to reuse the tank. I like that it is steel because it weighs more. The F26 handles bad enough in following seas and I can't imagine how much worse it would be with a much lighter HDPE tank. I think the weight of the steel tank helps in following seas.
Captain Chill

Post by Captain Chill »

This is what I picked up from West Marine. Going to be a snug cozy fit in there.

28gal waste holding tank full system.
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/sealand-- ... m--7894033

12gal Hot water heater w/o heat exchanger
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/raritan-- ... 31_005_501

28gal Heavy duty freshwater tank
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/todd--hea ... 34_003_004
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

Oh I see now :oops:
I just have tank cutting on my mind.... I have four tanks like yours and I'm about to cut holes in the tops to clean them in place. The cutting and re welding would be easier for me than removing them.
Looks like you have the plumbing and sewage all handled :D looks like a top notch system

I'll keep watching :lol:
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
Captain Chill

Post by Captain Chill »

Before

After