Teak Deck Refinish

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Re: Teak Deck Refinish

Post by P-Dogg »

April 5th and it was -10C last night
So did you open the freezer for warmth?????
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

RonW wrote:Also, what caulking should I use along the cabin-to-deck seam (as shown in Dockedwages deck pictures). Do I caulk to the bare wood (I assume) or after the Cetol (to which I wouldn't expect it to stick).

(April 5th and it was -10C last night..... launch is April 23)

Ron
LOVE the temp crap these days! Neighbours out last week in t-shirts, shorts and flip flops washing their cars, today dealing with 8" of snow!

Re your questions : 3M 4200 is never a bad idea for caulk 5200 is an adhesive, but you don't really need that for those seams. Caulk before you use stain, sealing, or cosmetic products.
LandVF36
Moderate User

Post by LandVF36 »

So, I have a different twist to this. When I bought our boat year ago, I spent most of the first summer prepping teak toe rails, cockpit caps, and cockpit floor and then 7 coats of UV varnish (used Interlux Goldspar . The boat sits out in the sun all summer, and under a tarp for the winter, but in just 3 seasons, the varnish had been ate up by the sun. I didn't know that once you go down this road, it takes an annual coat to keep it up. Needless to say, I was very sad. touch up of any spot that wore through to the wood looked aweful, on in season 4, I started over again.

Then an old-timer in the storage lot saw me stripping again and asked what I used for a base coat. He said that he learned years ago to use epoxy resin thined down, or a penetrating epoxy resin for the first coat. then a another coat of epoxy resin as the 2nd coat, the resin will form a hard water tight seal over the wood that will not burn off with the sun. However, it will yellow if not protected from UV. So, I top that off with 2-3 coats of good marine varnish with a UV block. You still have to top it off every other year or so, but a light sand and new coat can be done over a weekend. the best part though is the sun will not burn through the epoxy and the re-coats come out with a very even color to the teak everytime.
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1991 Thompson 21' Carerra Cuddy
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Former Owner - 1973 Trojan F-36 "Light and Variable"
RonW

Post by RonW »

Catainmaniac..... thanks for those numbers (4200 & 5200)..... I had heard them before but didn't record them. I will apply 4200 before finishing the deck. I need 5200 for some other things. Thanks so much.

LandVF36..... not sure if you read all 3 pages of this post, but I started out wanting to varnish my decks since I had bad experiences with Cetol, but through the first 2 pages, I was completely talked out of varnish and talked back into Cetol. I gotta go with their years of experience, especially from the southern states with their sun. But thanks for your input.

Ron
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

Ron, 4200 comes in fast cure too. 8)
RonW

Post by RonW »

Thanks Jimbo.... I'll look for it.
With this weather, I need all the help I can get.
Ron
RonW

Post by RonW »

Hi Jimbo (et al)

I picked up the 3M 4200 and was asked why I didn't use 3M 4000 which is much more UV resistant.
Did the Google thing and found this conversation:

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-for ... 0-a.html#b

Now taking the 4200 back and buying 4000.

Live and learn.

Ron
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

After a bunch of research, I decided to pretty much standardize on 3M 4000 instead of Life Caulk. I thought it would prove to be more versatile for me. So far, I am happy with my choice.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
RonW

Post by RonW »

The 3M 4000 is a fast cure too. Best of both worlds.

Well, I can't say that I wasn't warned........ in spite of Cetol Marine Light claiming to be natural colour, my decks came out waaay orangier than I would have liked. In the picture, the port foredeck is sanded bare and all I wanted was a clear coat on that colour. What I got is on the starboard foredeck.
The toe rail along the side is the original colour which was what I was hoping for. However, so far, I'm the only one that expressed disappointment. Everyone else says it looks fabulous....... and I am extremely happy with it compared to last year. Oddly enough, it's the exact same colour as the aft salon, and I never thought that it was orange at all, so I'm hoping its got something to do with the bright white shrinkwrap.

We'll see what removing the bright while shrinkwrap and some sunshine will do over the summer.

Thanks again for all the input.

Ron
Attachments
IMG_20160415_185015.JPG
IMG_20160415_185015.JPG (86.85 KiB) Viewed 5301 times
IMG_20160415_184945.JPG
IMG_20160415_184945.JPG (90.94 KiB) Viewed 5301 times
16 04 14 deck half bare and half Cetol marine light.JPG
16 04 14 deck half bare and half Cetol marine light.JPG (151.46 KiB) Viewed 5301 times