underwater lights

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

gitchisum
Moderate User

underwater lights

Post by gitchisum »

Anyone have recommendations for using through hull vs surface mounts? Looking to install on stern for fishing ( blue lights) and have no experience with them. Looking for anyone who has installed and used to weigh in longevity, expensive vs cheaper, etc

Thanks!!
88 321 Sedan 270 crusaders
2001 Seadoo Challenger 2000
97 Lowe Roughneck 17TC
1948 Alumacraft K14, Evinrude twin 6hp " Still kickin"
kevinz

Re: underwater lights

Post by kevinz »

Underwater lights are a nightmare! First, if you moor your boat in a area with barnacle growth, the diver will use a putty knife of sort to remove the creatures. In time, this process will scratch the lens of the lights and sooner or latter, the lens will crack or break. Second. If decided to go with the thru-hull type, there is one or more hole in your boat to re-bed over time. I think underwater lights is a fad (just like the big hull side windows you see on all the new big boats). If your boat is lift kept or dry storage, maybe o.k. but still more holes in the hull.
-1995 350 express
with big blues (454 Crusaders)
-2011 Caroling Skiff J-14 (Tohatsu 30hp four stroke)
-1996 Sea Ray SeaRayder jet (Merc 90hp)
-1990 BeachCat 20. Fiberglass pontoon (2013 Merc 60hp big foot)
Jimmy
Sporadic User

Post by Jimmy »

Based upon your boat picture, you have a swim platform, if that is the case no need to drill more holes in the boat. I have seen, and will also be adding UW stern lights (LED) to my platform brackets. I have not yet chosen my lights, but have seen others mounted as such that work real nice. Once I decide on what I will mount, ill re-post.

They do work great for night fishing, and the blessing of fresh water, is no barnacles, and no sharks.....
1988 Trojan 11 Meter Express

My wife made me do it... Really.....
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

There are now some good composite units on the market. This prevents having yet more metal in the water that you'll have to worry about pretecting from corrosion. If you do get metal units, don't use aluminum or it'll just act as an anode.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
gdcardoza

Post by gdcardoza »

I disagree!

Underwater lights are only a nightmare if the person who has installed them is useless and doesn't understand what they're doing....

I'm a distributor for Lumitec and I've installed countless amounts of underwater lights in both fresh water and salt water applications and have had ZERO issues with them.. If you opt for the cheap Chinese made junk, you're going to have issues no matter who installs them.. So why cheap out?

Buy a decent product, just like anything else and you'll be fine!
Graham D. Cardoza
President
Overboard Marine Services Ltd
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

I installed Lumitec SeaBlaze 3 on my 1973 Trojan F32 3 years ago, their great, sold the boat to a friend of mine when I bough my 1974 Trojan F32 I decided to try Macris after a tour of their shop. I was very impressed with his work, they are both surface mount style, at the time Lumitech was said to be the best. In my experience The Macris Industries lights are a better choice. They flood the light rather than pinpoint light making is brighter width wise if that makes sense, while underway the light travels up the sides even where Lumitech projects more aft. Some friends of mine all got together and are using these and got a group deal. They have lights that vary in size as well, ive seen some for yachts 2ft long in various colors and some change colors with everything under the rainbow. They have a composite material only, no metal and stay cleaner than lumitech lights in my experience for the season. I have had mine for one full year and am going to put one on my inflatable this year. I assure you I am not a salesman but you can contact Mr harrison at Macris and tell him I sent you and ask about discounts. Keith

I have pictures from both, also Macris made in Conneticut RI, not sure about Lumitech but support USA :-) They install lights for Hinkley Yachts, Tuna.Com, pools, marinas and more
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

gdcardoza wrote:I disagree!

Underwater lights are only a nightmare if the person who has installed them is useless and doesn't understand what they're doing....

I'm a distributor for Lumitec and I've installed countless amounts of underwater lights in both fresh water and salt water applications and have had ZERO issues with them.. If you opt for the cheap Chinese made junk, you're going to have issues no matter who installs them.. So why cheap out?

Buy a decent product, just like anything else and you'll be fine!
I agree Lumitec is a good product and that one should deffinately be wary of cheap knock-offs but what are you disagreeing with Graham, that adding aluminum in close proximity to stainless steel will act as an anode? Cause it will, and no manufacturer's marketing claims will convince me otherwise. I and many of the guys I know in the industry (who know what they're doing!) have replaced too many of them for this very reason over variables that are simply too numerous to get into. Some manufacturers have moved away from aluminum due to corrosion related issues. For that reason, based on my own experience and that of others, I would not install aluminum units, but hey, that's just my opinion and one must act on their own gut feeling and experience.

SS and bronze units are okay but one should not believe that they are impervious to corrosion either. Once a unit starts corroding around the lens mounting edge, it's just a matter of time before the seal fails, and it does not take much for that to happen. Replacing the seal (been there) won't help. I have no problem with installing SS or bronze units but only after I've educated the customer about the downfalls.

Composite units while impervious to corrosion have their downfalls too. As with anything, you get what you pay for. I've also found that a lot of plastic lenses tend to cloud over much like automotive headlight lenses so going with a glass lens design seems to be preferable so far.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

I went and took a couple picts of mine and my old trojan to show you the underwater lights I used
gitchisum
Moderate User

Post by gitchisum »

Thank you all for your feedback.

Keith - I did reach out to Macris, and Graham Thanks for your offer.

at the end of the day, I couldn't pull the trigger on $1000.00 for lighting

I found 600 Lumen units on Port Supply, and with a quantity discount, got 6 lights for $150.00

I ended up going with composite units that I will attach to the swim platform supports. I will let you know how they hold up.
88 321 Sedan 270 crusaders
2001 Seadoo Challenger 2000
97 Lowe Roughneck 17TC
1948 Alumacraft K14, Evinrude twin 6hp " Still kickin"
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

good luck, ill be interested in your experience. If anyone on this forum is interested I can get the macrisindustries at a discounted rate. I think im adding one macris to my inflatable, i want to try the chrome which changes colors but those are pricey. I like the MIU15 which is 1650 lumens and can easily be placed anywhere. I just noticed that West Marine sells both brands now but I dont recomend paying the West Marine Tax lol