New Owner / More Questions

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

LisaRose

New Owner / More Questions

Post by LisaRose »

Greetings, recently purchased a 1984 Trojan international 10m express. She is now dry docked so we can work on her.
The plan: basically, bought this to be a live aboard for my fiance and me, staying at our local marina. Structurally, she is sound. Mechanically, she needs just about everthing.
Purist, please forgive us, but we are considering turning her into a strictly live aboard boat. Pulling engines and related hardware out and creating a living space in this area. Anyone ever done this? Is it difficult to remove engines? Are they worth anything whole? As parts? There seems to be 3 or 4 fiberglass structural beams about 8" high on each side of engines, we wanted to knock those down also. If she is only used to float, removing these should not be an issue correct?
Any ideas, help, appreciated.
Rick
boat2.jpg
boat2.jpg (79.08 KiB) Viewed 3110 times
Last edited by LisaRose on Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: New Owner / More Questions

Post by prowlersfish »

Welcome to the site . I understand what your trying to do . But you should stop and think about it . While the 10 meter is roomy , But for 2 people to live on it gets small . So your idea is to make more room . Removing the engines fine ( can be sold )but the stringers are the strength of the hull . removing them can cause issues . Even on land and when the lift it . The other side is resale . You may not be worried about it , but come time to move you will have issues selling it like that . If fact you could end up paying a lot to dispose of it .

I would leave it as it is . if its to small as it is then sell it and look for something bigger . Like a Trojan tri- cabin . You can find them that need work not running Cheap sometimes . I know several people that bought them just to live aboard . Ton of room 2 sleeping areas , 2 heads (bathrooms ) large living area .

Sorry if I came across negative . I am just trying to be realistic .

No mater what you do I wish you luck . and we are here for any questions .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
LisaRose

Post by LisaRose »

Sir,
Thank you for your input and advice. You did not come across negative in any way.
We understand now, thanks to you, the importance of those stringers for the overall structure of the boat, therefore, we will leave them alone.
Maybe in a year or two we will look for a bigger boat, but long story short, this is our baby now and we are excited about making her our own.

There are a number of ideas i wish i could get your feedback on, (if your were up for the task), but i don't want to wear out my welcome.
One of them would be to actually restore her mechanically over time, the engines are 454's and seem to be very common and inexpensive to have rebuilt. I am mechanically inclined myself and would be able to learn and work on other areas other than the engines. I guess i am just wondering the resale value of a 1984 Trojan Express at all the different levels of restoration, just in case we dont finish her completely, would we still make a profit? (dont laugh). Or should we just use her for a live aboard for a few years and then sell her. We purchased her for $1,000. Inside is complete and basically unmolested, one engine does work (we were told), not sure yet of the electrical system and there are gauges missing. ANYWAYS, you get the point. Your knowledge and feedback is appreciated and we have tough skin, so let loose if needed.
Thanks,
Rick
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

The NADA average retail price is $17,700. Two new engines will cost more than this. I would recommend finding out the status of your engines and transmissions and then deciding how to proceed.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

Do you have a recent survey?

The value on boats have a wide margin. You got a fair deal for a non working boat IF the hull is structurally sound. If the stringers are bad, it is not long for this world working or not.

I agree with the above; You would probably be better off with a Sedan model where at least you have a salon area instead of a birth galley and head. The engine room on a 10 Meter is amid ship which is open to the elements. It will take quite a bit of engineering to seal that area up from the elements.

Good luck!
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Welcome aboard Rick.

I agree with Paul, I would not take the route you're thinking of. It already seems as though your short term plans may be for getting into something else in the not too distant future. If that's the case, you might as well just dump it then because you'll really be limiting your market, and as Paul stated, you'll likely end up having to pay a pretty penny to dispose of her in that condition.

Live on her as is and fix her up a little at a time. If you start feeling a little cramped in that space, it'll be an incentive for you to move into something bigger. Just be carefull not to put too much money into her as there is a happy balance between the amount you put in vs the amount someone is willing to pay for that age of boat. Check the engines out, hopefully you can get them running, do some cosmetics and make her yours for now with the consideration that you may want her to become somebody elses eventually. Chances are, that person will want to use it as a running boat.

The engines aren't that difficult to get out. Even if the blocks are bad, I'd say you'd likely be able to find a couple of long blocks for a decent price.

Nothing against this particular model but for me in a live aboard, it would have to be something bigger as Paul suggested. For a reasonable price, the Tri Cabin is a pretty attractive pick for live aboards. Something that would be within reach if you set yourself a goal to get the 10m express to a point where it would be an attractive purchase for someone looking to get something a little more turn-key so they can go boating.

Be nice to her and put her back into service. She may not be your last boat but you'll be proud of what you did if you bring her back to life. AND THAT IS PRICELESS :D
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year