1988 Trojan F32

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Rickforth

1988 Trojan F32

Post by Rickforth »

I purchased my 1988 F32 in November 2015. It is on the hard and I have been working on it steadily as the weather here on Long Island has been very mild. I had new carpeting installed back in December and it came out great.
I have installed a new Raritan Marine Elegance electric toilet and a 25 gallon waste tank. My wife made new curtains throughout the boat along with new shower curtains for the bath. I have removed the front cabin door and partition to make the front bunks more open & spacious. I installed new ball bearing rollers in the salon sliding door as the old ones had stopped working many years ago. The screening material was replaced along with the screen door rollers. The salon lighting was replaced with new LED fixtures, they look great and work well.
Upon inspection of the rope locker I found some rotted core all around the windlass and bow pulpit. After removing the pulpit, windlass, and very rotten and wet backing board inside the rope locker I found the core was rotted approx. 5 to 6 inches around the opening where the windlass motor comes down. I removed the rot and refilled with West Systems Six-10. This (mix as you go) product worked very well but is a bit pricey. Two tubes ($25.00ea) did the trick and really hardened up and re supported the rotted core in this deck section. After a good belt and finish sanding of the Teak bow pulpit I re finished with Cetol marine for Teak. I made a new backing board from starboard to replace the rotted backing board. I re installed the entire bow pulpit system two weeks ago and it seems to be working great.
The bilge in this boat needed some serious clean up, I did a full scrub and wash with soapy hot water in November to get a start. It will need another good cleaning before launch to clean up this situation.
The full enclosure for the flybridge is 2 years old and in very good shape. All eisenglass needs a cleaning but the seams are solid and the zippers are still new. A full cleaning with Clorox cleaner removed all traces of mold on the walls of the flybridge and it looks greta up there. The throttles and cables got a good lube and they are working smoothly. All of the gages appear to be working and the dash lights up properly. I will know more after first startup in April. The captains chairs cleaned up nice and are in good condition. All seating adjustments were lubed and are working fine.
The running gear was cleaned up with an orbital sander and steel drill brush. The props are clean and straight and were refurbished a few years ago. I installed all new zincs this past week end.
So far this craft is cleaning up very nicely as it was well taken care of by it's previous owners. I will be taking some pictures and posting very soon. I look forward to hearing about other peoples similar projects and fun with their boats.
Barrie
Moderate User

Re: 1988 Trojan F32

Post by Barrie »

Can't wait to see the pictures.
That sounds like a pile of work, and stuff that you will enjoy this season :)
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
AwayOnBusine$$
Moderate User

Post by AwayOnBusine$$ »

Great! Happy boating. Need new rollers for my screen door. Mine is a 76 F32. Anyway you can let me know what you were able to find. I can't seam to find what will work.

Thanks Ken
F32 Fly 1975
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

The good news: each year your boat needs 1% less work!

Welcome to the forum!
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Welcome , hope you enjoy the boat .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Bear

Post by Bear »

Congratulations on your purchase I also bought a 1986 f32 around the same time I'm in the middle of doing the teak railings pulpit new fire extinguisher for the engine automatic ,new electronics I would like to see some pics of the curtains when done, im still not sure what to do with my window treatments you have done a lot work good luck .
Jim Bear Shut up & reel II ( life is short go fish)
Rickforth

Post by Rickforth »

Working hard to clean the bilge in this F32. I have soaped, scrubbed, hot watered, vacuumed, all to bring this bilge back in this F32. The boat is still on the hard and blocked up very level so bilge water does move. Cleaning in the engine room is a challenge when a previous owner puts in an oil soak pad but does not remove it. I pulled one out that I think has been there for a while and you can just imagine the condition of that baby after I fished it out from under the generator. I am assuming that bilge water should flow all the way from the front and end up in the stern while under way. I will find out if there are any more hidden gems blocking the flow of bilge water when I launch in April. Progress has been steady and this boat is in great shape for a 1988.