11 meter swim platfor part 2

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Jimmy
Sporadic User

11 meter swim platfor part 2

Post by Jimmy »

6. Once the frame and top 3/4" boards are cured, flip it over and fit in all the open areas with 2" foam board filling it as tight as you can. Once you have them all cut and fitted I epoxyed them in. Once I cut the 1/4" plywood to fit, and drilled the screw holes, I slopped on the epoxy and coated everything on the frame, shoved the foam into the spots and epoxied over them as well. Then put the 1/4" boards on and screwed them on. Again let cure 24 hrs hint: get the slow cure epoxy resin as it gives you more time.... Learned that half way through the project. :oops:
image.jpg
image.jpg (7.4 KiB) Viewed 11242 times
7. Now you should have a good solid platform to work with. I used a belt sander with 80 grit belt to round off corners, put in radius's, and trimmed the plywood to match the frame. Round off edges of the top plywood to 1/2" rounding and give it a general good old clean up and smooth everything out.

8. Now mix up some good old bondo... Use it to fill all the screw holes and any blemishes both sides. Sand smooth after it cures. Now you are ready for the cloth. :D

9. Lay the cloth on the platform, and do the bottom first. The bottom is a good practice spot. Mix enough epoxy to coat the entire platform. I used the cloth first method. Simply lay the cloth trimmed to fit with edges to be folded down so that it does not hang over the top side, I did about 1-1/2" overlap. I used clamps to hold the cloth, simply take the resin and pour it in the middle of the cloth and using a bondo blade (plastic flat blade) and work the epoxy from the middle to the ends and sides. Adding as you need. Work out all the air and let the cloth soak up the resin. I also used a resin cloth roller from any automotive or marine supply. This worked great to keep the resin at a uniform level. Work it until the untire platform is covered and the cloth is fully saturated and layed flat. If there are any high spots, you can pull the cloth to stretch it and move it. Make sure the edges are rolled flat so none of the cloth stickes out. Do this with one cloth coat on the bottom and two cloth coats on top. I lightly sanded between coats using a scotch bright pad, but I dont know of this was necessary. Just dont sand the cloth or you will rip it up. The I put two more coats of straight epoxy on both top and bottom to get a smooth surface. Let each coat cure 24 hrs.
image.jpg
image.jpg (7.91 KiB) Viewed 11242 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (9.12 KiB) Viewed 11242 times
1988 Trojan 11 Meter Express

My wife made me do it... Really.....